Vista not allow the system partition below 24G

=?Utf-8?B?a2V5aQ==?=

Vista not allow the system partition below 24G
I bought a notebook and want to shrink the C volume from 70G to 15G.
When I used "Disk Management" in "Administration Tools" to reallocate my HD,
the minimal space of C: is limited to 24G. Vista don't allow me to reduce
the space of the system partition any more. I don't know why the volume space
is limited.
Thanks !
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]

Re: Vista not allow the system partition below 24G
Because 15gb is not enough space. You need space for restore points,
virtual memory paging, hibernation file (if used), etc, etc.

"keyi" <keyi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a notebook and want to shrink the C volume from 70G to 15G.
> When I used "Disk Management" in "Administration Tools" to reallocate my
> HD,
> the minimal space of C: is limited to 24G. Vista don't allow me to reduce
> the space of the system partition any more. I don't know why the volume
> space
> is limited.
> Thanks !

=?Utf-8?B?a2V5aQ==?=

Re: Vista not allow the system partition below 24G
In fact I have tried forbiding the "System Restore" and virtual memory on C:.
But the limitation is still there...
Is there any alternative method to reallocate the partition without this
limitation?
Thanks.

"Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]" wrote:

> Because 15gb is not enough space. You need space for restore points,
> virtual memory paging, hibernation file (if used), etc, etc.

Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]

Re: Vista not allow the system partition below 24G
Don't. Just don't even try.

> In fact I have tried forbiding the "System Restore" and virtual memory on
> C:.
> But the limitation is still there...
> Is there any alternative method to reallocate the partition without this
> limitation?
> Thanks.
>
> "Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]" wrote:
>
>> Because 15gb is not enough space. You need space for restore points,
>> virtual memory paging, hibernation file (if used), etc, etc.

Richard Urban

Re: Vista not allow the system partition below 24G
The built-in shrink utility will be able to decrease the partition size till
it bumps against the first unmovable/locked system file.

If you want to decrease the partition further you will need a 3rd party Disk
Management tool. I use Acronis Disk Director suite. The latest posted
version is 100% Vista compatible. After installing the program, create the
emergency CD. Reboot the computer and boot up with this CD. Do your
partition work from there. You will not be hampered with locked files.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]" <rgharper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Because 15gb is not enough space. You need space for restore points,
> virtual memory paging, hibernation file (if used), etc, etc.
>
> "keyi" <keyi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I bought a notebook and want to shrink the C volume from 70G to 15G.
>> When I used "Disk Management" in "Administration Tools" to reallocate my
>> HD,
>> the minimal space of C: is limited to 24G. Vista don't allow me to reduce
>> the space of the system partition any more. I don't know why the volume
>> space
>> is limited.
>> Thanks !

=?Utf-8?B?a2V5aQ==?=

Re: Vista not allow the system partition below 24G
Thanks a lot! I'll try the method you suggested.
Before that, I doubt if the ADD suite would destroy the locked system file
and make the Vista fail to boot or something like that.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> The built-in shrink utility will be able to decrease the partition size till
> it bumps against the first unmovable/locked system file.
>
> If you want to decrease the partition further you will need a 3rd party Disk
> Management tool. I use Acronis Disk Director suite. The latest posted
> version is 100% Vista compatible. After installing the program, create the
> emergency CD. Reboot the computer and boot up with this CD. Do your
> partition work from there. You will not be hampered with locked files.

Richard Urban

Re: Vista not allow the system partition below 24G
I have not run into any problem when further shrinking a partition smaller
than the Vista utility would allow.

I do think that your going for 15 gig is an incorrect move on your part
though. I would not under any circumstance install Vista to anything less
that a 25 gig partition. Even then, you may run short if you install a bunch
of big games.

Heck, Microsoft Flight Simulator X installs 14 gig of files just for that
one game. If someone were foolish enough to try to put it in their system
partition they may lock the computer if it is a smaller size partition.

--

> Thanks a lot! I'll try the method you suggested.
> Before that, I doubt if the ADD suite would destroy the locked system file
> and make the Vista fail to boot or something like that.
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> The built-in shrink utility will be able to decrease the partition size
>> till
>> it bumps against the first unmovable/locked system file.
>>
>> If you want to decrease the partition further you will need a 3rd party
>> Disk
>> Management tool. I use Acronis Disk Director suite. The latest posted
>> version is 100% Vista compatible. After installing the program, create
>> the
>> emergency CD. Reboot the computer and boot up with this CD. Do your
>> partition work from there. You will not be hampered with locked files.

=?Utf-8?B?a2V5aQ==?=

Re: Vista not allow the system partition below 24G
I used to allocate less than 5 gig to the system partition of Windows XP and
installed all of the application software and games on another volume. The
system ran well. Every time the system runs into critical problem and fail to
boot, I would use Ghost to recover the image of C volume, then reinstall
several software such as MS Office. (Some software even needn't to be
reinstalled)
I think installing system and software on different volume can minimize the
loss of the reinstallment caused by some serious problem. That's why I shrink
the system volume so as to allocate more space to software and other data.

Could you tell me why do you think the system needs 25 gig? Is there any
difference between XP and Vista?

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> I do think that your going for 15 gig is an incorrect move on your part
> though. I would not under any circumstance install Vista to anything less
> that a 25 gig partition.

Richard Urban

Re: Vista not allow the system partition below 24G
After only 3 months of use my Windows folder is 8.5 gig. My Programs Files
folder is 2.2 gig. Then I have the hiberfil.sys that is 2 gig (because I
have 2 gig of RAM installed). My pagefile.sys is also 2 gig.

Total = 14.7 gig, and I have not put that much on this computer yet. I am
going slowly and testing each program thoroughly as I go.

Then you have all the temporary files that are created when programs are
running. Even though these files are, for the most part, deleted when you
close down the program that created them, if you do not have enough free
space (I would recommend 25% free space after everything has been installed)
you will find your computer may freeze up or cause other undesirable
actions.

Yes, there are vast differences between Windows XP and Vista.

Read here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...uirements.mspx

You will see that the specs call for a ***minimum*** of 15 gig free space.
That is for Vista alone, without installing anything else.

--

>I used to allocate less than 5 gig to the system partition of Windows XP
>and
> installed all of the application software and games on another volume. The
> system ran well. Every time the system runs into critical problem and fail
> boot, I would use Ghost to recover the image of C volume, then reinstall
> several software such as MS Office. (Some software even needn't to be
> reinstalled)
> I think installing system and software on different volume can minimize
> the
> loss of the reinstallment caused by some serious problem. That's why I
> shrink
> the system volume so as to allocate more space to software and other data.
>
> Could you tell me why do you think the system needs 25 gig? Is there any
> difference between XP and Vista?
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> I do think that your going for 15 gig is an incorrect move on your part
>> though. I would not under any circumstance install Vista to anything less
>> that a 25 gig partition.

=?Utf-8?B?a2V5aQ==?=

Re: Vista not allow the system partition below 24G
Thanks a lot! I will take your opinion into consideration.