install home prem with ultimate disc

dontstealmyfish

install home prem with ultimate disc

i was wonderinf if its possible to install home premium with a
valid-legal home premium product key, using a vista ultimate disc. since
supposedly all vista versions are on the one disc. i was figuring it
woudl ask for the product key, recognize it was a home premium key and
install home premium. will this happen? thanks.

--
dontstealmyfish
mkprilliman

Re: install home prem with ultimate disc

dontstealmyfish;687704 Wrote:
> i was wonderinf if its possible to install home premium with a
> valid-legal home premium product key, using a vista ultimate disc. since
> supposedly all vista versions are on the one disc. i was figuring it
> woudl ask for the product key, recognize it was a home premium key and
> install home premium. will this happen? thanks.

I think it may depend on where you obtained the disc, but in general
what you described should work fine as long as you are not attempting to
move from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version (those would be on separate
DVDs). I get my Vista DVDs as part of my MSDN subscription and all Vista
SKUs are included in the same install image (Home, Business, Ultimate,
etc). The x86 and x64 installs are on separate discs though.

When you install it you should be able to either choose which version
you want (by not entering a product key) and delay activation until
later, or just let it pick which version to install based on the product
key you entered. I can't say for sure about retail discs though, as I
have no experience with them.

--
mkprilliman

"The Deathstar is fully operational."

Antec Nine Hundred / Core 2 Quad Q6600 / MSI P6N Diamond / CoolerMaster
RP Pro 1000 PSU / X-Fi 7.1 / 4x 1GB Corsair XMS2 PC-6400 / 2x MSI
NX8600GTS-OC / 150GB Raptor (system) / 4 x 500GB HDD (RAID 5) / 1x 300GB
HDD (beta partition) / Venus T4U (1TB capacity) / 1x Dell 2407WFP
wrapped by 2x 20.1" FPs/ Logitech Z-5300 speakers
Richard G. Harper

Re: install home prem with ultimate disc
Yes, this is how retail DVDs of Vista work. When you put in the key (retail
key, not OEM key) it will install the version and type (upgrade or clean
install) that the key corresponds to.

"dontstealmyfish" <dontstealmyfish.383dz1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> i was wonderinf if its possible to install home premium with a
> valid-legal home premium product key, using a vista ultimate disc. since
> supposedly all vista versions are on the one disc. i was figuring it
> woudl ask for the product key, recognize it was a home premium key and
> install home premium. will this happen? thanks.
>

> --
> dontstealmyfish

Comcast

> Yes, this is how retail DVDs of Vista work. When you put in the key
> (retail key, not OEM key) it will install the version and type (upgrade or
> clean install) that the key corresponds to.

I also have a question along the sam elines, but it involves an OEM key.

I have a friend who purchased a display model HP from Costco (I think) and
somehow the installation became munged up where he can not add/remove ANY
programs. My advice was rather than banging his head against the problem,
wipe the disk and do a fresh install - problem is he never created the
restore disks originally, and now it will not allow him to do so. If I loan
him my Vista Ultimate CD, can he use his OEM key to re-install Vista Home
Premium on his HP??

TIA

Richard G. Harper

Re: install home prem with ultimate disc
Probably not. Retail and OEM media and keys do not mix. Your friend should
contact the PC manufacturer and purchase the restore media - most of them
will sell it for a small charge.

"Comcast" <aaronbav(at)ccast.net> wrote in message
news:79OdnUnDp_cbkYTVnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, this is how retail DVDs of Vista work. When you put in the key
>> (retail key, not OEM key) it will install the version and type (upgrade
>> or clean install) that the key corresponds to.
>>

> I also have a question along the sam elines, but it involves an OEM key.
>
> I have a friend who purchased a display model HP from Costco (I think) and
> somehow the installation became munged up where he can not add/remove ANY
> programs. My advice was rather than banging his head against the problem,
> wipe the disk and do a fresh install - problem is he never created the
> restore disks originally, and now it will not allow him to do so. If I
> loan him my Vista Ultimate CD, can he use his OEM key to re-install Vista
> Home Premium on his HP??
>
> TIA

ABA

Re: install home prem with ultimate disc
"Comcast" <aaronbav(at)ccast.net> wrote in message
> news:79OdnUnDp_cbkYTVnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>>

>> I also have a question along the same lines, but it involves an OEM key.
>>
>> I have a friend who purchased a display model HP from Costco (I think)
>> and somehow the installation became munged up where he can not add/remove
>> ANY programs. My advice was rather than banging his head against the
>> problem, wipe the disk and do a fresh install - problem is he never
>> created the restore disks originally, and now it will not allow him to do
>> so. If I loan him my Vista Ultimate CD [DVD], can he use his OEM key to
>> re-install Vista Home Premium on his HP??
>>
>> TIA

>> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes, this is how retail DVDs of Vista work. When you put in the key
>>> (retail key, not OEM key) it will install the version and type (upgrade
>>> or clean install) that the key corresponds to.

Thank you for your reply Richard.

Do you think it would be possible to run a REPAIR installation from my
Ultimate DVD (I mistakenly typed CD earlier) to fix his OEM installed Home
Premium?

Richard G. Harper

Re: install home prem with ultimate disc
Nope, because of the same issue. OEM and Retail media and keys do not mix.

"ABA" <aaronbav(at)ccast.net> wrote in message
news:7t6dnfScMItrQoTVnZ2dnUVZ_uednZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> "Comcast" <aaronbav(at)ccast.net> wrote in message
>> news:79OdnUnDp_cbkYTVnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>>>
>>> I also have a question along the same lines, but it involves an OEM key.
>>>
>>> I have a friend who purchased a display model HP from Costco (I think)
>>> and somehow the installation became munged up where he can not
>>> add/remove ANY programs. My advice was rather than banging his head
>>> against the problem, wipe the disk and do a fresh install - problem is
>>> he never created the restore disks originally, and now it will not allow
>>> him to do so. If I loan him my Vista Ultimate CD [DVD], can he use his
>>> OEM key to re-install Vista Home Premium on his HP??
>>>
>>> TIA

>>> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message

> Thank you for your reply Richard.
>
> Do you think it would be possible to run a REPAIR installation from my
> Ultimate DVD (I mistakenly typed CD earlier) to fix his OEM installed Home
> Premium?

ABA

> Nope, because of the same issue. OEM and Retail media and keys do not
> mix.

> "ABA" <aaronbav(at)ccast.net> wrote in message
> news:7t6dnfScMItrQoTVnZ2dnUVZ_uednZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> "Comcast" <aaronbav(at)ccast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:79OdnUnDp_cbkYTVnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

>> Thank you for your reply Richard.
>>
>> Do you think it would be possible to run a REPAIR installation from my
>> Ultimate DVD (I mistakenly typed CD earlier) to fix his OEM installed
>> Home Premium?

Richard G. Harper

Re: install home prem with ultimate disc
Glad to have been or service.

news:IZOdne7WmtnxH4HVnZ2dnUVZ_tyknZ2d@comcast.com. ..