New computer

Rogue

New computer
My sister just got a new computer with Vista Home Premium. I was wondering if
I can create an image of her old computer (running XP) and use that image on
her new one? Or are there to many incompatibilities between the two OS's for
this to work? If this will work, it would save a bunch of time transfering
files and settings.

TIA,

Rogue
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: New computer
Using Windows Easy Transfer
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...-transfer.aspx

Migrating to Vista using Windows Easy Transfer
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...-Transfer.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Rogue" wrote:

My sister just got a new computer with Vista Home Premium. I was wondering if
I can create an image of her old computer (running XP) and use that image on
her new one? Or are there to many incompatibilities between the two OS's for
this to work? If this will work, it would save a bunch of time transfering
files and settings.

TIA,

Rogue
Gary Mount

Re: New computer
If the new computer has an OEM version of Vista, then you will not be able
to use the old XP image on your new computer then do an upgrade.
If it is not an OEM, then you might be able to do a restore of the old XP
image, then if you can get it to run on the new computer, you can then do an
upgrade.
It seems to me that using the wizard transfer would end up being faster
anyway as well as being certain to work.

"Rogue" <Rogue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sister just got a new computer with Vista Home Premium. I was wondering
> if
> I can create an image of her old computer (running XP) and use that image
> on
> her new one? Or are there to many incompatibilities between the two OS's
> for
> this to work? If this will work, it would save a bunch of time transfering
> files and settings.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rogue

Rogue

Re: New computer
Thanks for the links. I have not made the jump to Vista so I was unaware that
this program was available.

Thanks again.

Rogue

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Using Windows Easy Transfer
> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...-transfer.aspx
>
> Migrating to Vista using Windows Easy Transfer
> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...-Transfer.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows System & Performance

> "Rogue" wrote:
>
> My sister just got a new computer with Vista Home Premium. I was wondering if
> I can create an image of her old computer (running XP) and use that image on
> her new one? Or are there to many incompatibilities between the two OS's for
> this to work? If this will work, it would save a bunch of time transfering
> files and settings.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rogue

Rogue

Re: New computer
Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling it wouldn't work. I will be using
Windows Easy
Transfer to help my sister get set up.

Thanks again.

Rogue