Keyboard Cursor Won't Work in Selective Startup Mode

Patsfaninfla

Keyboard Cursor Won't Work in Selective Startup Mode
I am trying to get to safe mode as I'm locked out of Windows. After I power
up, I tap on F10 and successfully get to the diagnostic window only to find
that I my keyboard will not operate to allow me to pick a mode. Any
suggestions? Yes, I've tried multiple keyboards. THANKS!
JW

Re: Keyboard Cursor Won't Work in Selective Startup Mode
Here is a solution My brother in law got from Dell two weeks ago to the same
problem using USB keyboard and mouse.

Shutdown your computer.
UnPlug the power cable from the computer.
Push and hold down the power switch on the computer for about 30 seconds.
Plug the computer back in and turn it on.

Please let me know if this works for you and if yes what make/model computer
you have.
"Patsfaninfla" <Patsfaninfla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to get to safe mode as I'm locked out of Windows. After I
>power
> up, I tap on F10 and successfully get to the diagnostic window only to
> find
> that I my keyboard will not operate to allow me to pick a mode. Any
> suggestions? Yes, I've tried multiple keyboards. THANKS!

Patsfaninfla

Re: Keyboard Cursor Won't Work in Selective Startup Mode
Thanks for the feedback, but before your response, I simply used a PS/2
Keyboard and it got me to where I needed to be. Your solution might have
worked, but I'll never know! Thanks anyway!

"JW" wrote:

> Here is a solution My brother in law got from Dell two weeks ago to the same
> problem using USB keyboard and mouse.
>
> Shutdown your computer.
> UnPlug the power cable from the computer.
> Push and hold down the power switch on the computer for about 30 seconds.
> Plug the computer back in and turn it on.
>
> Please let me know if this works for you and if yes what make/model computer
> you have.
> "Patsfaninfla" <Patsfaninfla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to get to safe mode as I'm locked out of Windows. After I
> >power
> > up, I tap on F10 and successfully get to the diagnostic window only to
> > find
> > that I my keyboard will not operate to allow me to pick a mode. Any
> > suggestions? Yes, I've tried multiple keyboards. THANKS!

JW

Re: Keyboard Cursor Won't Work in Selective Startup Mode
My brother in law's system did not have any PS2 connections. Also I should
mention that the cause of his USB bus(s) getting hung up was a faulty USB
flash drive. So another step in the procedure should be to remove all USB
devices except for the keyboard and mouse after shutting down