New computer - VHP

Bert Weaver

New computer - VHP
Bought a new computer today - Vista Home Premium installed. Have had it
reboot itself 4 times because Windows Explorer encountered an error. And
have tried to install +/- 12 programs from original disks (more than half
stating they are Vista compatible) plus latest version of Office.org ... not
one will install. All, apparently, have a corrupt .exe file. (Incidentally,
I'm using old computer running XP at time of writing).

I'm taking the tower back tomorrow, and will request either XP OS, or a
refund. Consumer protection gives me the right to receive a refund on goods
which do not serve the purpose for which they were advertised and purchased.

After spending a whole afternoon on this crap OS, I'm pissed off big time
and convinced Micro$oft obviously realised XP was working too well.

Bert

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: New computer - VHP
"Bert Weaver" <weaverb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ztKdncxoVvW1D5XVnZ2dnUVZ_oKhnZ2d@westnet.com. au...
> Bought a new computer today - Vista Home Premium installed. Have had it
> reboot itself 4 times because Windows Explorer encountered an error. And
> have tried to install +/- 12 programs from original disks (more than half
> stating they are Vista compatible) plus latest version of Office.org ...
> not
> one will install. All, apparently, have a corrupt .exe file.
> (Incidentally,
> I'm using old computer running XP at time of writing).
>
> I'm taking the tower back tomorrow, and will request either XP OS, or a
> refund. Consumer protection gives me the right to receive a refund on
> goods
> which do not serve the purpose for which they were advertised and
> purchased.
>
> After spending a whole afternoon on this crap OS, I'm pissed off big time
> and convinced Micro$oft obviously realised XP was working too well.
>
> Bert

Good luck..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Kerry Brown

Re: New computer - VHP
Possibly it's the computer that's crap? Most OEM computers come with a lot
of trialware or limited versions of applications that the software vendors
pay the hardware vendors to install on new computers. Remove this, including
the trial security suite, and I'll bet your problems go away. If not then
the hardware may be defective. Note that if you uninstall the security suite
that came with the computer makes sure you install an AV program (I
recommend NOD32) and that the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are
working.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Bert Weaver" <weaverb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ztKdncxoVvW1D5XVnZ2dnUVZ_oKhnZ2d@westnet.com. au...
> Bought a new computer today - Vista Home Premium installed. Have had it
> reboot itself 4 times because Windows Explorer encountered an error. And
> have tried to install +/- 12 programs from original disks (more than half
> stating they are Vista compatible) plus latest version of Office.org ...
> not
> one will install. All, apparently, have a corrupt .exe file.
> (Incidentally,
> I'm using old computer running XP at time of writing).
>
> I'm taking the tower back tomorrow, and will request either XP OS, or a
> refund. Consumer protection gives me the right to receive a refund on
> goods
> which do not serve the purpose for which they were advertised and
> purchased.
>
> After spending a whole afternoon on this crap OS, I'm pissed off big time
> and convinced Micro$oft obviously realised XP was working too well.
>
> Bert

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: New computer - VHP
> Possibly it's the computer that's crap? Most OEM computers come with a lot
> of trialware or limited versions of applications that the software vendors
> pay the hardware vendors to install on new computers. Remove this,
> including the trial security suite, and I'll bet your problems go away. If
> not then the hardware may be defective. Note that if you uninstall the
> security suite that came with the computer makes sure you install an AV
> program (I recommend NOD32) and that the Windows Firewall and Windows
> Defender are working.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "Bert Weaver" <weaverb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ztKdncxoVvW1D5XVnZ2dnUVZ_oKhnZ2d@westnet.com. au...
>> Bought a new computer today - Vista Home Premium installed. Have had it
>> reboot itself 4 times because Windows Explorer encountered an error. And
>> have tried to install +/- 12 programs from original disks (more than half
>> stating they are Vista compatible) plus latest version of Office.org ...
>> not
>> one will install. All, apparently, have a corrupt .exe file.
>> (Incidentally,
>> I'm using old computer running XP at time of writing).
>>
>> I'm taking the tower back tomorrow, and will request either XP OS, or a
>> refund. Consumer protection gives me the right to receive a refund on
>> goods
>> which do not serve the purpose for which they were advertised and
>> purchased.
>>
>> After spending a whole afternoon on this crap OS, I'm pissed off big time
>> and convinced Micro$oft obviously realised XP was working too well.
>>
>> Bert

Transportation can cause issues too.. loose cards, cables. I moved recently,
and my computer looked like it was scrap when booted initially.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Bert Weaver

Re: New computer - VHP
> Possibly it's the computer that's crap? Most OEM computers come with a lot
> of trialware or limited versions of applications that the software vendors
> pay the hardware vendors to install on new computers. Remove this,

including
> the trial security suite, and I'll bet your problems go away. If not then
> the hardware may be defective. Note that if you uninstall the security

suite
> that came with the computer makes sure you install an AV program (I
> recommend NOD32) and that the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are
> working.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Maybe it is the computer (HP). I'll try uninstalling stuff - there's plenty
of it - and see if that helps. Tomorrow ...

Bert

David B.

Re: New computer - VHP
What I would do is run the onboard recovery, then remove the bloatware that
HP installs, I think you'll find it'll run much better.

--

----

"Bert Weaver" <weaverb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:veOdnUjj4opAKpXVnZ2dnUVZ_tyknZ2d@westnet.com. au...
>> Possibly it's the computer that's crap? Most OEM computers come with a
>> lot
>> of trialware or limited versions of applications that the software
>> vendors
>> pay the hardware vendors to install on new computers. Remove this,

> including
>> the trial security suite, and I'll bet your problems go away. If not then
>> the hardware may be defective. Note that if you uninstall the security

> suite
>> that came with the computer makes sure you install an AV program (I
>> recommend NOD32) and that the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are
>> working.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

> Maybe it is the computer (HP). I'll try uninstalling stuff - there's
> plenty
> of it - and see if that helps. Tomorrow ...
>
> Bert

Bert Weaver

Re: New computer - VHP
Did that ... did work! Thanks to all.

I uninstalled Norton, crap, games, other crap stuff. Defraged, shut down.
Rebooted and am beginning to develop a working relationship with this thing
called Vista. Still hankering after XP, but it's early days ..

Bert

_____

> "Bert Weaver" <weaverb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:veOdnUjj4opAKpXVnZ2dnUVZ_tyknZ2d@westnet.com. au...
> > "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
> >> Possibly it's the computer that's crap? Most OEM computers come with a
> >> lot
> >> of trialware or limited versions of applications that the software
> >> vendors
> >> pay the hardware vendors to install on new computers. Remove this,

> > including
> >> the trial security suite, and I'll bet your problems go away. If not

then
> >> the hardware may be defective. Note that if you uninstall the security

> > suite
> >> that came with the computer makes sure you install an AV program (I
> >> recommend NOD32) and that the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are
> >> working.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kerry Brown
> >> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> >> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

> > Maybe it is the computer (HP). I'll try uninstalling stuff - there's
> > plenty
> > of it - and see if that helps. Tomorrow ...
> >
> > Bert

Kerry Brown

Re: New computer - VHP
Another important thing with a new Vista computer is to leave it turned on
with sleep and hibernation turned off for at least a day so. This will allow
Vista to index the drive. Once it's indexed it can keep up in the background
with any changes. While the initial indexing is happening you will notice
constant hard drive access and a bit of a slowdown.

--

> Did that ... did work! Thanks to all.
>
> I uninstalled Norton, crap, games, other crap stuff. Defraged, shut down.
> Rebooted and am beginning to develop a working relationship with this
> thing
> called Vista. Still hankering after XP, but it's early days ..
>
> Bert
>
> "David B." <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> What I would do is run the onboard recovery, then remove the bloatware

> that
>> HP installs, I think you'll find it'll run much better.
>>
>> --
>>
>> ----
>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>

> __________________________________________________ __________________________
> _____
>>

>> "Bert Weaver" <weaverb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:veOdnUjj4opAKpXVnZ2dnUVZ_tyknZ2d@westnet.com. au...
>> > "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
>> > including

> then
>> > suite

>> > Maybe it is the computer (HP). I'll try uninstalling stuff - there's
>> > plenty
>> > of it - and see if that helps. Tomorrow ...
>> >
>> > Bert

David B.

Re: New computer - VHP
Or if your like me and hardly ever do file searches, turn indexing off
altogether.

--

----

> Another important thing with a new Vista computer is to leave it turned on
> with sleep and hibernation turned off for at least a day so. This will
> allow Vista to index the drive. Once it's indexed it can keep up in the
> background with any changes. While the initial indexing is happening you
> will notice constant hard drive access and a bit of a slowdown.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "Bert Weaver" <weaverb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Did that ... did work! Thanks to all.
>>
>> I uninstalled Norton, crap, games, other crap stuff. Defraged, shut down.
>> Rebooted and am beginning to develop a working relationship with this
>> thing
>> called Vista. Still hankering after XP, but it's early days ..
>>
>> Bert
>>
>> "David B." <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> What I would do is run the onboard recovery, then remove the bloatware

>> that
>>> HP installs, I think you'll find it'll run much better.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> ----
>>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

>> _____
>>>

>>> "Bert Weaver" <weaverb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:veOdnUjj4opAKpXVnZ2dnUVZ_tyknZ2d@westnet.com. au...

>> then

Kerry Brown

Re: New computer - VHP
Which cripples the most useful feature in Vista, the Start Search box.