Question about partition for installation

Atreju

Question about partition for installation
Hey,

I've done a few Vista installs already on drives that I have prepared
in advance.

I want to put Vista on my HDD that has XP right now. It is currently
one partition using the entire drive.
I am freeing up most of the drive, I'll want a dual-boot. What I've
done in the past is modify the partition using one of many utilities.
However, does Vista allow me to shrink the partition and create a new
one with the reclaimed space during install? This would be easier and
more convenient for me... please advise if this is option during
installation.

Vista Ultimate.

Thanks.
Ron Martell

Re: Question about partition for installation
Atreju <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>I've done a few Vista installs already on drives that I have prepared
>in advance.
>
>I want to put Vista on my HDD that has XP right now. It is currently
>one partition using the entire drive.
>I am freeing up most of the drive, I'll want a dual-boot. What I've
>done in the past is modify the partition using one of many utilities.
>However, does Vista allow me to shrink the partition and create a new
>one with the reclaimed space during install? This would be easier and
>more convenient for me... please advise if this is option during
>installation.
>
>Vista Ultimate.

Vista does not have the ability to change the size of an existing
partition non-destructively. You will need to use a third party
utility for this work, as you did in the past.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."
Atreju

Re: Question about partition for installation
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:30:33 -0700, Ron Martell
<ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:

>Atreju <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote:
>
>>Hey,
>>
>>I've done a few Vista installs already on drives that I have prepared
>>in advance.
>>
>>I want to put Vista on my HDD that has XP right now. It is currently
>>one partition using the entire drive.
>>I am freeing up most of the drive, I'll want a dual-boot. What I've
>>done in the past is modify the partition using one of many utilities.
>>However, does Vista allow me to shrink the partition and create a new
>>one with the reclaimed space during install? This would be easier and
>>more convenient for me... please advise if this is option during
>>installation.
>>
>>Vista Ultimate.
>>

>Vista does not have the ability to change the size of an existing
>partition non-destructively. You will need to use a third party
>utility for this work, as you did in the past.
>
>Good luck
>
>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Oh well. Once Vista is running I know it can modify a partition. It
cannot re-arrange them, but I was able to remove the last partition on
a drive once and expand the Vista one to fill the remainder of the
drive and that was non-destructive. I guess I'll have to prep the
drive in advance.

TY
Mick Murphy

Re: Question about partition for installation
You can only use Vista to change partition size once it is installed, and up
and running; not existing partitions prior to installation.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia