Virtual PC in Vista

David-in-NH

Virtual PC in Vista
I recently purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, plus an 500 Gig
external HD. I then discovered that my HP Office Jet 6110 All-in-One that I
purchased about 3 years ago for $450 will not scan to the PC, and my Office
2000 doesn't load. Neither Microsoft nor Hewlet Packard (HP) will produce a
full driver for the 6110. So, I'm searching for a way to get them both to
work. I've heard about a dual boot and Virtual XP. I'm not sure how to do
either, but it sounds like the Virtual XP is the better of the two. I have a
full version of XP that I purchased when XP first came out. (CompUSA did a
free installation and upgrade of an old 95 PC, and I know they had to first
install 98 then jump to XP.) In a discussion in the Vista printer, copy, scan
group, on the 6110 problem, bjr wrote that Virtual XP can be used with Vista
Home Premium, However the Microsoft site does not include Vista Home Premium
as an option. Does anyone know if Vista HP can run Virtual XP?

Gary Mount

Re: Virtual PC in Vista
Virtual PC works with Home Premium. Microsoft does not support it but that
does not mean that it does not run in Home Premium.
I used Virtual Pc with Home Premium for about a year until I upgraded to
Ultimate.
There is a Virtual PC news group by the way.

"David-in-NH" <DavidinNH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, plus an 500 Gig
> external HD. I then discovered that my HP Office Jet 6110 All-in-One that
> purchased about 3 years ago for $450 will not scan to the PC, and my
> Office
> 2000 doesn't load. Neither Microsoft nor Hewlet Packard (HP) will produce
> full driver for the 6110. So, I'm searching for a way to get them both to
> work. I've heard about a dual boot and Virtual XP. I'm not sure how to do
> either, but it sounds like the Virtual XP is the better of the two. I
> have a
> full version of XP that I purchased when XP first came out. (CompUSA did a
> free installation and upgrade of an old 95 PC, and I know they had to
> first
> install 98 then jump to XP.) In a discussion in the Vista printer, copy,
> scan
> group, on the 6110 problem, bjr wrote that Virtual XP can be used with
> Vista
> Home Premium, However the Microsoft site does not include Vista Home
> Premium
> as an option. Does anyone know if Vista HP can run Virtual XP?

PaulM

Re: Virtual PC in Vista
Did you try this:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=79477&os=2093

www.paulsxp.com
www.paulsxp.com/forum

"David-in-NH" <DavidinNH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, plus an 500 Gig
> external HD. I then discovered that my HP Office Jet 6110 All-in-One that
> purchased about 3 years ago for $450 will not scan to the PC, and my
> Office
> 2000 doesn't load. Neither Microsoft nor Hewlet Packard (HP) will produce
> full driver for the 6110. So, I'm searching for a way to get them both to
> work. I've heard about a dual boot and Virtual XP. I'm not sure how to do
> either, but it sounds like the Virtual XP is the better of the two. I
> have a
> full version of XP that I purchased when XP first came out. (CompUSA did a
> free installation and upgrade of an old 95 PC, and I know they had to
> first
> install 98 then jump to XP.) In a discussion in the Vista printer, copy,
> scan
> group, on the 6110 problem, bjr wrote that Virtual XP can be used with
> Vista
> Home Premium, However the Microsoft site does not include Vista Home
> Premium
> as an option. Does anyone know if Vista HP can run Virtual XP?

.Joe

Re: Virtual PC in Vista

David-in-NH;683868 Wrote:
> I recently purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, plus an 500 Gig
> external HD. I then discovered that my HP Office Jet 6110 All-in-One
> that I
> purchased about 3 years ago for $450 will not scan to the PC, and my
> Office
> 2000 doesn't load. Neither Microsoft nor Hewlet Packard (HP) will
> produce a
> full driver for the 6110. So, I'm searching for a way to get them both
> work. I've heard about a dual boot and Virtual XP. I'm not sure how to
> do
> either, but it sounds like the Virtual XP is the better of the two. I
> have a
> full version of XP that I purchased when XP first came out. (CompUSA
> did a
> free installation and upgrade of an old 95 PC, and I know they had to
> first
> install 98 then jump to XP.) In a discussion in the Vista printer,
> copy, scan
> group, on the 6110 problem, bjr wrote that Virtual XP can be used with
> Vista
> Home Premium, However the Microsoft site does not include Vista Home
> Premium
> as an option. Does anyone know if Vista HP can run Virtual XP?

Another good option for the Virtual PC is the open source program
Virtual Box. I ran a linux operating system (ubantu) in the Virtual Box
with no issues. You can find it here:
'VirtualBox' (http://www.virtualbox.org/)

I hope this helps.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com\")_
_*::_Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_Geekbench_Score:_4031 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/51273\")_
Jeffrey P. Silverstone

Re: Virtual PC in Vista
Don't count on Virtual PC to bail you out of hardware problems unless your
printer is networkable. Virtual PC does not talk to USB ports.

-- Jeffrey

"David-in-NH" <DavidinNH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, plus an 500 Gig
> external HD. I then discovered that my HP Office Jet 6110 All-in-One that
> purchased about 3 years ago for $450 will not scan to the PC, and my
> Office
> 2000 doesn't load. Neither Microsoft nor Hewlet Packard (HP) will produce
> full driver for the 6110. So, I'm searching for a way to get them both to
> work. I've heard about a dual boot and Virtual XP. I'm not sure how to do
> either, but it sounds like the Virtual XP is the better of the two. I
> have a
> full version of XP that I purchased when XP first came out. (CompUSA did a
> free installation and upgrade of an old 95 PC, and I know they had to
> first
> install 98 then jump to XP.) In a discussion in the Vista printer, copy,
> scan
> group, on the 6110 problem, bjr wrote that Virtual XP can be used with
> Vista
> Home Premium, However the Microsoft site does not include Vista Home
> Premium
> as an option. Does anyone know if Vista HP can run Virtual XP?

mcheu

Re: Virtual PC in Vista
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:31:02 -0700, David-in-NH
<DavidinNH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I recently purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, plus an 500 Gig
>external HD. I then discovered that my HP Office Jet 6110 All-in-One that I
>purchased about 3 years ago for $450 will not scan to the PC, and my Office
>2000 doesn't load. Neither Microsoft nor Hewlet Packard (HP) will produce a
>full driver for the 6110. So, I'm searching for a way to get them both to
>work. I've heard about a dual boot and Virtual XP. I'm not sure how to do
>either, but it sounds like the Virtual XP is the better of the two. I have a
>full version of XP that I purchased when XP first came out. (CompUSA did a
>free installation and upgrade of an old 95 PC, and I know they had to first
>install 98 then jump to XP.) In a discussion in the Vista printer, copy, scan
>group, on the 6110 problem, bjr wrote that Virtual XP can be used with Vista
>Home Premium, However the Microsoft site does not include Vista Home Premium
>as an option. Does anyone know if Vista HP can run Virtual XP?

Virtual PC will run on Vista Home Premium. I've got it on my machine.
It's not supported, meaning they didn't test it on Vista Home Premium,
and you run it at your own risk, but it'll work just fine. Just click
through all the warnings.

Whether Virtual PC will accomplish what you hope though, I've no idea.

Good Luck.