SP1 not offered in Windows Update

Dave Sexton

SP1 not offered in Windows Update
Hi everyone,

I have Creative Audigy 2, which according to a KB article, prevents Windows
Vista SP1 from being offered in Windows Update.

I read somewhere (I think it was a user comment on the Windows Vista Team
Blog) that the only problem with the blacklisted drivers is that they effect
SP1 setup, so temporarily disabling or uninstalling them will allow users to
install SP1. Reinstalling the drivers afterwards should be fine.

Is that correct?

Well, I've disabled my onboard multimedia audio controller, uninstalled all
Creative software on my computer and uninstalled the problematic driver.
After rebooting and checking Windows Update again, I still do not see SP1,
but I did see the Creative Audio driver as a recommended update, so I chose
to make it _hidden_.

I'm certain that I have installed _all_ required and recommended updates
(except for the Creative Audigy 2 driver that I just uninstalled). I've
even installed those updates that I had hidden previously - one update was
even related to iPod, which I don't have, but I installed it anyway. The
only update that I haven't installed (other than my audio driver) is an
optional update that I really hope isn't the problem: SQL Server 2005 Books
Online.

The other various recommendations that are stated in the Windows Vista SP1
KB article, the Windows Vista Team Blog and various forums and newsgroups,
do not seem to apply to my situation.

I see that others have had success using the stand-alone installer, but I'm
concerned about circumventing whatever mechanism is in place to prevent me
from installing SP1 via Windows Update. I'm not completely against it, but
I'd _really_ like some information about why I can't do things the way that
Microsoft has recommended.

So what's going on here? I'm growing weary of this nonsense.

I received my copy of Windows Vista Business Edition as part of the January
2008 Action Pack. Could that be the problem? Is it some sort of licensing
issue?

Short of opening up my computer and disconnecting my sound card, I'm all out
of ideas. (I'd rather not do that since I don't like tampering with my
hardware, and it really doesn't seem fair to have to do that just to get a
service pack!)

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: SP1 not offered in Windows Update
Re-enable your sound device, then visit the Windows Update
web site. Click on "View available updates", then install all
recommended updates for your hardware. Reboot your computer
and then SP1 should be offered.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Dave Sexton" wrote:

[...]

Larry M.

Re: SP1 not offered in Windows Update
Carey,
Are you aware of SP1 being offered w/o all the limitations it has now re:
h/w, s/w & drivers?
I have an HP Pavillion desktop. A/p HP trying to load Sp1 requires all sorts
of tweaks. I know that
if I try all they say and then Sp1 still doesn't come down and then the pc
starts acting up they will ask me to reset to factory defaults. I never saw
issues like this w/XP.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgamil.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> from installing SP1 via Windows Update. I'm not completely against it,
> but
> I'd _really_ like some information about why I can't do things the way
> that
> Microsoft has recommended.
>
> So what's going on here? I'm growing weary of this nonsense.
>
> I received my copy of Windows Vista Business Edition as part of the
> January
> 2008 Action Pack. Could that be the problem? Is it some sort of
> licensing
> issue?
>
> Short of opening up my computer and disconnecting my sound card, I'm all
> out
> of ideas. (I'd rather not do that since I don't like tampering with my
> hardware, and it really doesn't seem fair to have to do that just to get a

Windows Update will offer the smallest SP1 installation file load
based upon a scan of your system. If you wish, you can download
the all-encompassing SP1 standalone file and install it.

Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone (KB936330)

"Larry M." wrote:

Carey,
Are you aware of SP1 being offered w/o all the limitations it has now re:
h/w, s/w & drivers?
I have an HP Pavillion desktop. A/p HP trying to load Sp1 requires all sorts
of tweaks. I know that
if I try all they say and then Sp1 still doesn't come down and then the pc
starts acting up they will ask me to reset to factory defaults. I never saw
issues like this w/XP.

Dave Sexton

Re: SP1 not offered in Windows Update
Thanks for the reply, Carey.

I can't re-enable my device without restarting my computer since I have
disabled it in the system BIOS.

Although, before I disabled my sound device in the BIOS I had already
installed _all_ of the updates that were offered by Windows Update, except
for one: SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

At first I tried to just uninstall the Creative driver, but then I
discovered that Vista was reinstalling it automatically when I rebooted,
even though I specifically set the option in Computer > Properties > System
protection > Hardware > Windows Update Driver Settings to "Never check...".
It seemed that the only way I could prevent this was to disable the sound
device in the BIOS.

Also, I'm not sure how to visit the Windows Update web site since each time
that I do it pops open Vista's Windows Update dialog. Can't I just use the
"Check for updates..." command in Vista's dialog instead?

I'll try to reboot, re-enable the sound device in the BIOS and hopefully
Vista won't attempt to automatically install the Creative driver again.
Then I'll try using the "Check for updates..." command.

Back in a few...

- Dave

> [...]
> from installing SP1 via Windows Update. I'm not completely against it,
> but
> I'd _really_ like some information about why I can't do things the way
> that
> Microsoft has recommended.
>
> So what's going on here? I'm growing weary of this nonsense.
>
> I received my copy of Windows Vista Business Edition as part of the
> January
> 2008 Action Pack. Could that be the problem? Is it some sort of
> licensing
> issue?
>
> Short of opening up my computer and disconnecting my sound card, I'm all
> out
> of ideas. (I'd rather not do that since I don't like tampering with my
> hardware, and it really doesn't seem fair to have to do that just to get a

Dave Sexton

Re: SP1 not offered in Windows Update
Hi Carey,

I just re-enabled my onboard audio device. After restarting, the Creative
Audigy driver was not automatically installed, but I still don't see SP1 in
Windows Update even after clicking "Check for updates...". The only
available updates are "SQL Server 2005 Books Online", which is optional, and
"Creative driver update for Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)", which is
recommended, but hidden. I assume that the latter update will reinstall the
blacklisted driver.

In device manager, Creative Audigy no longer appears under "Sound, video and
game controllers" and "Multimedia Audio Controller" is listed under "Other
devices" with an exclamation mark. No audio driver is installed.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Are the drivers listed in the SP1 KB article the _only_ drivers that Windows
Update checks for or are there others? I have "ATI TV Wonder Pro..." and
"SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio" installed as well. Do they need to be
uninstalled?

Thanks,
Dave

"Dave Sexton" <dave@jwa[remove.this]online.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> me
>> from installing SP1 via Windows Update. I'm not completely against it,
>> but
>> I'd _really_ like some information about why I can't do things the way
>> that
>> Microsoft has recommended.
>>
>> So what's going on here? I'm growing weary of this nonsense.
>>
>> I received my copy of Windows Vista Business Edition as part of the
>> January
>> 2008 Action Pack. Could that be the problem? Is it some sort of
>> licensing
>> issue?
>>
>> Short of opening up my computer and disconnecting my sound card, I'm all
>> out
>> of ideas. (I'd rather not do that since I don't like tampering with my
>> hardware, and it really doesn't seem fair to have to do that just to get

David P.

Re: SP1 not offered in Windows Update
You can download the standalone installer use that, but afterwards you will
probably have to reinstall you sound drivers. My Synaptics touchpad drivers
are on the list, but after reinstalling them all was good.

> [...]
>>> me
>>> from installing SP1 via Windows Update. I'm not completely against it,
>>> but
>>> I'd _really_ like some information about why I can't do things the way
>>> that
>>> Microsoft has recommended.
>>>
>>> So what's going on here? I'm growing weary of this nonsense.
>>>
>>> I received my copy of Windows Vista Business Edition as part of the
>>> January
>>> 2008 Action Pack. Could that be the problem? Is it some sort of
>>> licensing
>>> issue?
>>>
>>> Short of opening up my computer and disconnecting my sound card, I'm all
>>> out
>>> of ideas. (I'd rather not do that since I don't like tampering with my
>>> hardware, and it really doesn't seem fair to have to do that just to get

Dave Sexton

Re: SP1 not offered in Windows Update
Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm aware that people have had success with the
standalone installer, but my concern is that Windows Update isn't showing
SP1, so there must be something else that may prevent the installation from
being successful. As it's my business computer that I'm updating, I want to
take all necessary precautions. (I've already done a complete PC backup,
but I really don't feel like wasting another day on this if the SP1 install
happens to fail.)

I'd be perfectly happy if Creative were to make a statement about this issue
and provide a timeline for a solution, but I don't think that they have. I
emailed them yesterday and the response was something like, "your free email
support period has expired.". Their website and forums don't seem to
provide any answers either.

I looked over the SP1 KB article for the eighth time and nothing jumps out
as being the cause other than this driver issue, which seems like a
catch-22; Windows Update wants to install it but once installed, I can't
download SP1. :|

Perhaps there's another driver on my system that's not compatible. But how
can I find out? I have all of the latest Windows Updates installed and I
searched my system32 directory for the .sys files that the KB article
mentions, but they don't exist. Is there another location that I should
search?

The question that I probably should be asking is, why doesn't Windows Update
just tell me the reason that SP1 is not available? Is there a separate tool
that I can use to get that information?

I've almost had enough of this guessing game. If there's a problem then
Windows Update should just tell me and I'll fix it!

I can live without SP1 if absolutely necessary, but any other suggestions
would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Dave

"David P." <dgprozzoLEAVE@bellsouthOUT.com> wrote in message
> You can download the standalone installer use that, but afterwards you
> will probably have to reinstall you sound drivers. My Synaptics touchpad
> drivers are on the list, but after reinstalling them all was good.
>
> "Dave Sexton" <dave@jwa[remove.this]online.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Carey,
>>
>> I just re-enabled my onboard audio device. After restarting, the
>> Creative Audigy driver was not automatically installed, but I still don't
>> see SP1 in Windows Update even after clicking "Check for updates...".
>> The only available updates are "SQL Server 2005 Books Online", which is
>> optional, and "Creative driver update for Creative Audigy Audio Processor
>> (WDM)", which is recommended, but hidden. I assume that the latter
>> update will reinstall the blacklisted driver.
>>
>> In device manager, Creative Audigy no longer appears under "Sound, video
>> and game controllers" and "Multimedia Audio Controller" is listed under
>> "Other devices" with an exclamation mark. No audio driver is installed.
>>
>> Do you have any other suggestions?
>>
>> Are the drivers listed in the SP1 KB article the _only_ drivers that
>> Windows Update checks for or are there others? I have "ATI TV Wonder
>> Pro..." and "SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio" installed as well. Do
>> they need to be uninstalled?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave
>>
>> "Dave Sexton" <dave@jwa[remove.this]online.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the reply, Carey.
>>>
>>> I can't re-enable my device without restarting my computer since I have
>>> disabled it in the system BIOS.
>>>
>>> Although, before I disabled my sound device in the BIOS I had already
>>> installed _all_ of the updates that were offered by Windows Update,
>>> except for one: SQL Server 2005 Books Online.
>>>
>>> At first I tried to just uninstall the Creative driver, but then I
>>> discovered that Vista was reinstalling it automatically when I rebooted,
>>> even though I specifically set the option in Computer > Properties >
>>> System protection > Hardware > Windows Update Driver Settings to "Never
>>> check...". It seemed that the only way I could prevent this was to
>>> disable the sound device in the BIOS.
>>>
>>> Also, I'm not sure how to visit the Windows Update web site since each
>>> time that I do it pops open Vista's Windows Update dialog. Can't I just
>>> use the "Check for updates..." command in Vista's dialog instead?
>>>
>>> I'll try to reboot, re-enable the sound device in the BIOS and hopefully
>>> Vista won't attempt to automatically install the Creative driver again.
>>> Then I'll try using the "Check for updates..." command.
>>>
>>> Back in a few...
>>>
>>> - Dave

PaulM

Re: SP1 not offered in Windows Update
I have Creative Audigy 2 on my system and I install Sp1 will no problem.
www.paulsxp.com
www.paulsxp.com/forum

> You can download the standalone installer use that, but afterwards you
> will probably have to reinstall you sound drivers. My Synaptics touchpad
> drivers are on the list, but after reinstalling them all was good.
>
> "Dave Sexton" <dave@jwa[remove.this]online.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Carey,
>>
>> I just re-enabled my onboard audio device. After restarting, the
>> Creative Audigy driver was not automatically installed, but I still don't
>> see SP1 in Windows Update even after clicking "Check for updates...".
>> The only available updates are "SQL Server 2005 Books Online", which is
>> optional, and "Creative driver update for Creative Audigy Audio Processor
>> (WDM)", which is recommended, but hidden. I assume that the latter
>> update will reinstall the blacklisted driver.
>>
>> In device manager, Creative Audigy no longer appears under "Sound, video
>> and game controllers" and "Multimedia Audio Controller" is listed under
>> "Other devices" with an exclamation mark. No audio driver is installed.
>>
>> Do you have any other suggestions?
>>
>> Are the drivers listed in the SP1 KB article the _only_ drivers that
>> Windows Update checks for or are there others? I have "ATI TV Wonder
>> Pro..." and "SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio" installed as well. Do
>> they need to be uninstalled?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave
>>
>> "Dave Sexton" <dave@jwa[remove.this]online.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the reply, Carey.
>>>
>>> I can't re-enable my device without restarting my computer since I have
>>> disabled it in the system BIOS.
>>>
>>> Although, before I disabled my sound device in the BIOS I had already
>>> installed _all_ of the updates that were offered by Windows Update,
>>> except for one: SQL Server 2005 Books Online.
>>>
>>> At first I tried to just uninstall the Creative driver, but then I
>>> discovered that Vista was reinstalling it automatically when I rebooted,
>>> even though I specifically set the option in Computer > Properties >
>>> System protection > Hardware > Windows Update Driver Settings to "Never
>>> check...". It seemed that the only way I could prevent this was to
>>> disable the sound device in the BIOS.
>>>
>>> Also, I'm not sure how to visit the Windows Update web site since each
>>> time that I do it pops open Vista's Windows Update dialog. Can't I just
>>> use the "Check for updates..." command in Vista's dialog instead?
>>>
>>> I'll try to reboot, re-enable the sound device in the BIOS and hopefully
>>> Vista won't attempt to automatically install the Creative driver again.
>>> Then I'll try using the "Check for updates..." command.
>>>
>>> Back in a few...
>>>
>>> - Dave

Dave Sexton

Re: SP1 not offered in Windows Update
Hi Paul,

Did you use the standalone installer or Windows Update?

- Dave