vista ultimate sp1 upgrade=full install?

Fredgeot

vista ultimate sp1 upgrade=full install?

hey guys, first time on the forums and I love all the guides available
for installing vista (I decided to make the switch to vista recently).
I tried searching this on the forums, but it only related to the old
upgrade disks. I was wondering if its still possible to do a full
install of ultimate from the new upgrade disks. I was also wondering if
its possible to do x64 from the upgrade disk as I'm not sure if it
includes the 64bit disk

thanks!
-fred

--
Fredgeot
JW

Re: vista ultimate sp1 upgrade=full install?
What do you mean by New Upgrade disk?
Do you possibly mean an upgrade disk that contains the full Vista release
already upgraded with SP1?
"Fredgeot" <Fredgeot.37usy8@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> hey guys, first time on the forums and I love all the guides available
> for installing vista (I decided to make the switch to vista recently).
> I tried searching this on the forums, but it only related to the old
> upgrade disks. I was wondering if its still possible to do a full
> install of ultimate from the new upgrade disks. I was also wondering if
> its possible to do x64 from the upgrade disk as I'm not sure if it
> includes the 64bit disk
>
> thanks!
> -fred
>

> --
> Fredgeot

Fredgeot

Re: vista ultimate sp1 upgrade=full install?

the vista upgrade discs that you could "only use of you want to upgrade
from xp or vista". The newer box contains sp1 so I was wondering if
the box also came with the 64bit DVD and if you could do the full
install trick from it

--
Fredgeot
AJR

Re: vista ultimate sp1 upgrade=full install?
Vista DVD includes both 32 and 64 bit versions - however individual product
keys are required.

"Fredgeot" <Fredgeot.37vbp0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> the vista upgrade discs that you could "only use of you want to upgrade
> from xp or vista". The newer box contains sp1 so I was wondering if
> the box also came with the 64bit DVD and if you could do the full
> install trick from it
>

> --
> Fredgeot

Mick Murphy

Re: vista ultimate sp1 upgrade=full install?
If you bother to read how you do the clean install from upgrade, it says to
run it from within windows(with the way to do it), then re-run it.
..
You can not upgrade 32bit to 64bit that way.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Fredgeot" wrote:

> the vista upgrade discs that you could "only use of you want to upgrade
> from xp or vista". The newer box contains sp1 so I was wondering if
> the box also came with the 64bit DVD and if you could do the full
> install trick from it
>

> --
> Fredgeot

Curious

Re: vista ultimate sp1 upgrade=full install?
AJR,
You have it backwards.
There are separate installation DVDs for Vista32 bit and Vista 64 bit since
they both can not fit on one DVD. If you buy Vista Ultimate you get both in
the box along with the single Product key that you can with either. If you
buy one of the other versions of Vista you get the 32 Bit DVD and you can
order the 64 bit DVD for about $10. The key that came with the 32 bit DVD
will again work with either.
"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Vista DVD includes both 32 and 64 bit versions - however individual
> product keys are required.
>

> "Fredgeot" <Fredgeot.37vbp0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> the vista upgrade discs that you could "only use of you want to upgrade
>> from xp or vista". The newer box contains sp1 so I was wondering if
>> the box also came with the 64bit DVD and if you could do the full
>> install trick from it
>>

>> --
>> Fredgeot

Fredgeot

Re: vista ultimate sp1 upgrade=full install?

I think i'm going to get Home Premium instead of Ultimate, mainly
because i couldn't justify the extra money for Ultimate when i didn't
need it. I was however wondering if the new Home Premium SP1 Retail
upgrade disks could still do the clean install trick, or did microsoft
patch it?

--
Fredgeot
Donald L McDaniel

Re: vista ultimate sp1 upgrade=full install?
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:40:53 -0500, Fredgeot
<Fredgeot.37vbp0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>the vista upgrade discs that you could "only use of you want to upgrade
>from xp or vista". The newer box contains sp1 so I was wondering if
>the box also came with the 64bit DVD and if you could do the full
>install trick from it

Whether people know it or not, or whether they agree with it or not,
doing the "full install trick" with an "upgrade" package is a
violation of their Windows Vista EULA. If they do this, their license
will be INVALID. PERIOD.

To answer your second question: Why should Microsoft include a second
OS when you purchase one of their OSes?

Just so you will know, IF you had ordered a Vista x64 OS, you would
have access to Vista x64. Since you apparently haven't done this, you
will have to investigate Microsoft's offer to provide Vista x64 to
owners of the Full Retail versions of Ultimate or Business for a small
charge.

Sorry to be so negative. But if the answer itself is negative, I
certainly can't answer positively, can I?

Unless you want us to just tell you what you want to hear, and
increase your expectations unwarrantedly.

But being myself, I just can't do that.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.
Donald L McDaniel

Re: vista ultimate sp1 upgrade=full install?
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:56:11 -0500, Fredgeot
<Fredgeot.37zny1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>I think i'm going to get Home Premium instead of Ultimate, mainly
>because i couldn't justify the extra money for Ultimate when i didn't
>need it. I was however wondering if the new Home Premium SP1 Retail
>upgrade disks could still do the clean install trick, or did microsoft
>patch it?

Hopefully, for their own bottom-line, they did patch it. However, I
wouldn't be surprised if they failed to patch it this time around.

Also, it is not exactly "kosher" to give instructions to someone in
how to deprive Microsoft of their income by using such a "trick",
especially in the Newsgroups sponsored by Microsoft. I mean, it's
kind of a "cheap shot", don't you think?

EVERYTIME such a "trick" is performed, Microsoft LOSES a portion of
the income they are entitled to. Which makes those who do use the
"trick" thieves. PERIOD. There is just no way to say it any
differently, so please don't take my words personally, ok?

It doesn't matter whether Microsoft keeps the workaround in its code
or not. What Microsoft does with THEIR code is their business, not
ours.

OUR installations of their OS are controlled by our Windows EULA, not
by the technicalities of their code.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.
cqui3

"Donald L McDaniel" <orthocross@invalid.invalid.com> a écrit dans le message
de newse1724111ku2ebiagpke1een86g1cu9mtc@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:56:11 -0500, Fredgeot
> <Fredgeot.37zny1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:
>

>>I think i'm going to get Home Premium instead of Ultimate, mainly
>>because i couldn't justify the extra money for Ultimate when i didn't
>>need it. I was however wondering if the new Home Premium SP1 Retail
>>upgrade disks could still do the clean install trick, or did microsoft
>>patch it?

> Hopefully, for their own bottom-line, they did patch it. However, I
> wouldn't be surprised if they failed to patch it this time around.
>
> Also, it is not exactly "kosher" to give instructions to someone in
> how to deprive Microsoft of their income by using such a "trick",
> especially in the Newsgroups sponsored by Microsoft. I mean, it's
> kind of a "cheap shot", don't you think?
>
> EVERYTIME such a "trick" is performed, Microsoft LOSES a portion of
> the income they are entitled to. Which makes those who do use the
> "trick" thieves. PERIOD. There is just no way to say it any
> differently, so please don't take my words personally, ok?
>
> It doesn't matter whether Microsoft keeps the workaround in its code
> or not. What Microsoft does with THEIR code is their business, not
> ours.
>
> OUR installations of their OS are controlled by our Windows EULA, not
> by the technicalities of their code.
>

> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the correct thread and article.

Granted, but as the Eula is found inside the packaging and therefore
cannot be read before purchase I wonder what it isworth.

I first bought Windows Premium and realized Ultimate would be better
for me. Since thepackage had been unsealed my dealer would not
exchange it.