Backup in Vista

=?Utf-8?B?UmVpbnN0YWxsIGJhY2t1cGZpbGVz?=

Backup in Vista
I make a backup of all my music,videos and pictures before I reinstall
Microsoft Vista, this files are of the "fbw" format
an example is this;
minwinpc/safety copy of files 2007-03-13 084035/safetycopy.002.fbw

When I try to reinstall it, Vista can't find any backupfiles, and I cant
select it manual..
Is there som programs that can bring back all of the backupfiles?
Hope someone can help me
Adam Albright

Re: Backup in Vista
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:04:03 -0700, Reinstall backupfiles <Reinstall
backupfiles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I make a backup of all my music,videos and pictures before I reinstall
>Microsoft Vista, this files are of the "fbw" format
>an example is this;
>minwinpc/safety copy of files 2007-03-13 084035/safetycopy.002.fbw
>
>When I try to reinstall it, Vista can't find any backupfiles, and I cant
>select it manual..
>Is there som programs that can bring back all of the backupfiles?
>Hope someone can help me

What application created the .fbw file?

Is it an image file?

To "find" any file on your computer use Vista search. Then at least
you know where to point to. Your example doesn't include any drive
letter.

If you backup was on the same partition as the one you installed Vista
to and you did a clean install you wrote over your backup files and
everything else. :-(

=?Utf-8?B?UmVpbnN0YWxsIGJhY2t1cGZpbGVz?=

Re: Backup in Vista
I have the OS on C: and use this disk mostly,
on D: I save the "backupdfiles" from Vista, and it's the old files
on E I have the reinstall partition of Vista saved.

The first backupfile is nuber 001, and have the status as a program (exe
file), when I se on the description of the file it's a "RestoreWiz
Application"

The exactly description of the place and filename is this:
d:\minwinpc\sikkerhetskopiering av filer 2007-03-13
084035\sikkerhetskopiering.001
thats a program file

d:\minwinpc\sikkerhetskopiering av filer 2007-03-13
084035\sikkerhetskopiering.002.fbw
is the files with number from 002 up to 013

Hope this is information that can help

Stig

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:04:03 -0700, Reinstall backupfiles <Reinstall
> backupfiles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I make a backup of all my music,videos and pictures before I reinstall
> >Microsoft Vista, this files are of the "fbw" format
> >an example is this;
> >minwinpc/safety copy of files 2007-03-13 084035/safetycopy.002.fbw
> >
> >When I try to reinstall it, Vista can't find any backupfiles, and I cant
> >select it manual..
> >Is there som programs that can bring back all of the backupfiles?
> >Hope someone can help me

> What application created the .fbw file?
>
> Is it an image file?
>
> To "find" any file on your computer use Vista search. Then at least
> you know where to point to. Your example doesn't include any drive
> letter.
>
> If you backup was on the same partition as the one you installed Vista
> to and you did a clean install you wrote over your backup files and
> everything else. :-(

chris Cook

restorewiz
Are you using an HP computer? I am having the same problem and I think this is an HP issue not a Microsoft issue. I am hoping to talk to HP tonight with Microsfot and get HP to start working the problem but it would be good to know if this was an HP machine.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Rock

Re: restorewiz
"chris Cook" wrote in message news:200742161927chrislcookie@yahoo.com...
> Are you using an HP computer? I am having the same problem and I think
> this is an HP issue not a Microsoft issue. I am hoping to talk to HP
> tonight with Microsfot and get HP to start working the problem but it
> would be good to know if this was an HP machine.

To whom are you talking? You created a new thread, instead of replying to a
current one, so there is no context

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

alslush

Re: Backup in Vista

I found the solution! If you read the small print on the recovery disk
instructions, you are supposed to back up your data on a CD or DVD. I
didn't read this and backed mine up on an external hard drive. Bad
move. I wasn't able to restore my files.

Now I have the fix. First, copy EACH of the files onto its own DVD.
(don't try to fit 2 onto a DL dvd--it won't work--I tried that).
Copying these huge backup files (~3.5GB each)is very time-consuming,
but it's the only way to get your files restored. So now you have one
disk for each of the files in your backup folder (I had nine disks-my
files ranged from backup.001.fbw to .009)

Next, reboot your computer in Safe Mode (continually click on the f8
key until the menu appears so you can make that selection as your
computer is rebooting). Once Windows has started in Safe Mode, put in
the DVD containing the first file--the one called backup.001.exe. Open
"my computer" and double click on the file to start it. The recovery
manager panel appears, and your DVD is ejected. You're then asked to
put in your last disk. (mine was backup.009.fbw. Yours may be
different.) The "NEXT" button on the recovery manager panel will
activate. Click it, and you're on your way! You'll be prompted for
each of your disks in descending order.

I spent about 6 hours total with HP support, and no one was able to
help me. I figured this out on my own, I hope it works for you!

--
alslush
alslush's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35209

http://forums.techarena.in

secret Paradox

Re: Backup in Vista

I also had trouble with backing up my files, or shall I say restore the
backed up files once I reinstalled my Vista.

It has been two weeks of hell basically, dealing with HP trying to get
a solution, however, with a few calls to Vista Support finally the
problem was solved.

As the previous poster explained the steps to this process, I needed to
take a step further.

The last DVD was not being recognized: Backup.010.fbw

You have to rename the file to Backup.0010.fbw and then reburn it to
DVD, then it works like a charm FINALLY.

This information should be far more accessible then it has been, and I
am grateful to Vista Support technicians for their help in calling me
back over the course of many days and finally finding the resolution

I hope this helps anyone in a similiar situation as mine, when you have
ten backup files or more.

--
secret Paradox
secret Paradox's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=36213
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=705564

http://forums.techarena.in

FTLOSM

Re: Backup in Vista

Hey all, found the thread thru google searching, I have the same problem
here, an HP computer with vista that I used the restore discs on and had
used the backup feature which created those funky .fbw files.

I followed alslush's method buring each file to a dvd of its own,
started the vista pc in safe mode, put in the 001.exe (first disc) and
it brought the program up, spit the disc right out asked for LAST DISC
I thought man I am on my way to FINALLY getting my data back!

That is where things went downhill, my files are
001.exe
002.fbw
003.fbw
004.fbw

ends with 004 nothing above that or above 10.

Do I need to reburn file 004.fbw as .0004.fbw to get the restore
program to recognize the last disc?

For whatever reason everything goes great till it asks for last disc, i
pop that in and it just sits i never get the NEXT button option, just
sits till it becomes unresponsive (left it in cdrom for like 10 mins
hoping it would find it) even tried opening my computer dragging it in
(in desperation) hehe, double clicked it but cant address it a program
since this restore program is not actually instlalled on the disc it
won't let me point the file extension to that program etc.

I sure hope others are still here who might be able to help on
this....

Bill

--
FTLOSM
FTLOSM's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39212
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=705564

http://forums.techarena.in

FTLOSM

Re: Backup in Vista

Gonna try one more thing before bed, reburning the last disc on dvd but
as bootable disc, heck I dunno might help might not... I burned as a
standard data disc originally and closed the disc (no multisession).

This time using nero 6, i used data boot disc method will see what if
anything that produces, if nothing then tomorrow I will try the method
described below.

Tomorrow if this reburn boot disc of last disc doesnt work or help, I
will rename the last disc (for me last disc is backup.004.fbw) ill try
backup.0004.fbw) adding that extra zero to see if it works...but I was
under the assumption that the extra 0 was only needed for files that
were over .009.fbw (so 10 and ups) but heck at this point its worth
another disc to try...

Any tips or suggestions from anyone on what else to try or do lmk,

Bill

--
FTLOSM
FTLOSM's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39212
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=705564

http://forums.techarena.in

FTLOSM

Re: Backup in Vista

FINALLY got it working today, ended up needing to burn each disc as
bootable vs data disc, the hp recovery software wasn't detecting the
discs in standard data disc format, but once I reburned (didnt change
file names) each of the 4 discs as bootable file discs the hp program
finally recognized and allowed each one to progress and finish

Put these notes here for the next guy searching google or having this
same hp backup restore issue, just wish HP was better at helping on
this...

Bill