Easy Transfer not so easy

Michael

Easy Transfer not so easy
I had been dreading buying a new computer for exactly this reason. I
have a new HP with Vista 32-bit and am trying to transfer over things
from my XP Family SP2. I loaded the software onto the XP and started the
transfer. However the Vista has cut out twice. I'm not sure if it makes
a difference, but the XP runs in French and the Visa in English.

Am I really going to have to dump everything onto CDs? Please tell me not.

philo

Re: Easy Transfer not so easy

"Michael" <writestuff@chello.be> wrote in message
> I had been dreading buying a new computer for exactly this reason. I
> have a new HP with Vista 32-bit and am trying to transfer over things
> from my XP Family SP2. I loaded the software onto the XP and started the
> transfer. However the Vista has cut out twice. I'm not sure if it makes
> a difference, but the XP runs in French and the Visa in English.
>
> Am I really going to have to dump everything onto CDs? Please tell me not.

You can always network the two machines and simpy copy your data over.

As for your applications...they will need to be reinstalled fresh

Michael

Re: Easy Transfer not so easy
philo wrote:
> "Michael" <writestuff@chello.be> wrote in message
>> I had been dreading buying a new computer for exactly this reason. I
>> have a new HP with Vista 32-bit and am trying to transfer over things
>> from my XP Family SP2. I loaded the software onto the XP and started the
>> transfer. However the Vista has cut out twice. I'm not sure if it makes
>> a difference, but the XP runs in French and the Visa in English.
>>
>> Am I really going to have to dump everything onto CDs? Please tell me not.

> You can always network the two machines and simpy copy your data over.
>
> As for your applications...they will need to be reinstalled fresh

Yes, thanks. That's always an option. But it would involve setting up
the wireless on the Vista and then removing it as it will be directly
connected to the router afterwards.

Ho-hum. I might have to do that anyway, unless anyone has something to
share on Vista cutouts during transfers.

Good NG here, by the way.

> philo wrote:
> > "Michael" <writestuff@chello.be> wrote in message
> >> I had been dreading buying a new computer for exactly this reason. I
> >> have a new HP with Vista 32-bit and am trying to transfer over things
> >> from my XP Family SP2. I loaded the software onto the XP and started

the
> >> transfer. However the Vista has cut out twice. I'm not sure if it makes
> >> a difference, but the XP runs in French and the Visa in English.
> >>
> >> Am I really going to have to dump everything onto CDs? Please tell me

not.

> > You can always network the two machines and simpy copy your data over.
> >
> > As for your applications...they will need to be reinstalled fresh
> >

> Yes, thanks. That's always an option. But it would involve setting up
> the wireless on the Vista and then removing it as it will be directly
> connected to the router afterwards.
>
> Ho-hum. I might have to do that anyway, unless anyone has something to
> share on Vista cutouts during transfers.
>
> Good NG here, by the way.

What I usually do is simply pull the drive from the old machine and
temporarily install it in the new one.

To network:
If both machines have an eithernet connection, all you need is a crossover
cable

Richard G. Harper

Re: Easy Transfer not so easy
I don't believe there is any process you can use that will allow you to use
EasyTransfer to transfer data between two different languages. I believe
both the "old" and "new" computers must have the same language.

"Michael" <writestuff@chello.be> wrote in message
>I had been dreading buying a new computer for exactly this reason. I have a
>new HP with Vista 32-bit and am trying to transfer over things from my XP
>Family SP2. I loaded the software onto the XP and started the transfer.
>However the Vista has cut out twice. I'm not sure if it makes a
>difference, but the XP runs in French and the Visa in English.
>
> Am I really going to have to dump everything onto CDs? Please tell me not.

Michael

Re: Easy Transfer not so easy
Dang! If that is the problem, it's a big one.

Richard G. Harper wrote:
> I don't believe there is any process you can use that will allow you to
> use EasyTransfer to transfer data between two different languages. I
> believe both the "old" and "new" computers must have the same language.
>

> "Michael" <writestuff@chello.be> wrote in message
>> I had been dreading buying a new computer for exactly this reason. I
>> have a new HP with Vista 32-bit and am trying to transfer over things
>> from my XP Family SP2. I loaded the software onto the XP and started
>> the transfer. However the Vista has cut out twice. I'm not sure if it
>> makes a difference, but the XP runs in French and the Visa in English.
>>
>> Am I really going to have to dump everything onto CDs? Please tell me
>> not.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Easy Transfer not so easy
Why? Windows XP was the same. You could not transfer files between
differing language versions.

> Dang! If that is the problem, it's a big one.

> Richard G. Harper wrote:
>> I don't believe there is any process you can use that will allow you to
>> use EasyTransfer to transfer data between two different languages. I
>> believe both the "old" and "new" computers must have the same language.
>>

>> "Michael" <writestuff@chello.be> wrote in message
>>> I had been dreading buying a new computer for exactly this reason. I
>>> have a new HP with Vista 32-bit and am trying to transfer over things
>>> from my XP Family SP2. I loaded the software onto the XP and started the
>>> transfer. However the Vista has cut out twice. I'm not sure if it makes
>>> a difference, but the XP runs in French and the Visa in English.
>>>
>>> Am I really going to have to dump everything onto CDs? Please tell me
>>> not.

Michael

Re: Easy Transfer not so easy
Let's talk Windows 95 instead. It's so far away we can safely laugh now.

ichard G. Harper wrote:
> Why? Windows XP was the same. You could not transfer files between
> differing language versions.
>

> "Michael" <writestuff@chello.be> wrote in message
>> Dang! If that is the problem, it's a big one.

>> Richard G. Harper wrote:
>>> I don't believe there is any process you can use that will allow you
>>> to use EasyTransfer to transfer data between two different
>>> languages. I believe both the "old" and "new" computers must have
>>> the same language.

Michael

Re: Easy Transfer not so easy
Incidentally, while transferring over (using a USB stick), I was
surprised to discover I had multiple profiles in Thunderbird. I
dscovered two good friends: support.mozilla.org and the Windows button+R
shortcut. Typing in %appdata% let me find the profiles and data info for
various applications. This might be no big news for most people here,
but if anyone is having problems similar to mine, it helps!