Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

curiosity...

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2008
dev@null.invalid
 

Posts: n/a
curiosity...
With the advent of SP1 there appears to be a benign bug in the defragger...

When called to the screen it reports that the last defrag was moments
ago - even though the sked is weekly. This wasn't the case prior to SP1.

Do you see the same?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2008
t-4-2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: curiosity...

dev;681138 Wrote:
> With the advent of SP1 there appears to be a benign bug in the
> defragger...
>
> When called to the screen it reports that the last defrag was moments
> ago - even though the sked is weekly. This wasn't the case prior to
> SP1.
>
> Do you see the same?

Hello, I'm still having trouble uderstanding this subect of vista
defrag. From what I was told, contrary to common believe, vista defrag
never stop working in the background, which would explain what you saw.
Why weekly schedule then ? I don't have the foggiest. Maybe some
knowledgeable experts will explain to us.


--
t-4-2
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2008
dev@null.invalid
 

Posts: n/a
Re: curiosity...
/t-4-2/ said:
> dev;681138 Wrote:
>> With the advent of SP1 there appears to be a benign bug in the
>> defragger...
>>
>> When called to the screen it reports that the last defrag was moments
>> ago - even though the sked is weekly. This wasn't the case prior to
>> SP1.
>>
>> Do you see the same?

> Hello, I'm still having trouble uderstanding this subect of vista
> defrag. From what I was told, contrary to common believe, vista defrag
> never stop working in the background, which would explain what you saw.
> Why weekly schedule then ? I don't have the foggiest. Maybe some
> knowledgeable experts will explain to us.


Windows Defender fits that description; looking for malware.

The defragger is an occasional-use tool that organized disk space, for
optimum file performance.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2008
Andrew Murray
 

Posts: n/a
Re: curiosity...

<dev@null.invalid> wrote in message
news:u9$tqxLnIHA.5820@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> /t-4-2/ said:
>> dev;681138 Wrote:
>>> With the advent of SP1 there appears to be a benign bug in the
>>> defragger...
>>>
>>> When called to the screen it reports that the last defrag was moments
>>> ago - even though the sked is weekly. This wasn't the case prior to
>>> SP1.
>>>
>>> Do you see the same?

>> Hello, I'm still having trouble uderstanding this subect of vista
>> defrag. From what I was told, contrary to common believe, vista defrag
>> never stop working in the background, which would explain what you saw.
>> Why weekly schedule then ? I don't have the foggiest. Maybe some
>> knowledgeable experts will explain to us.

>
> Windows Defender fits that description; looking for malware.
>
> The defragger is an occasional-use tool that organized disk space, for
> optimum file performance.


That was true, but I'm sure I've read that the Vista defragger does work in
the background and runs when it determines that the disk needs
defragmenting, so in effect it is doing so unprompted from the user - but
maybe that's done when using Live OneCare (an add-on product) rather than
just Vista itself.....?



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cursor curiosity davidjchuang microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 03-21-2008 19:30
Activation curiosity Norwgian paleface microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 8 12-23-2007 15:02
Signing on to Community Groups with Vista and a Curiosity Questio WinkinVan microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 09-04-2007 15:56
Curiosity Killed the Copy Cat BlogFeed Windows Vista Blogs Forum 0 08-05-2007 15:16
Screensaver Curiosity Question Tom from WI microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 1 06-17-2007 21:20




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:16.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120