Reinstalling Vista and Keep/Protect Partitions?

Jason

Reinstalling Vista and Keep/Protect Partitions?
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and in need of advice please!

I am having a few registry problems with Vista and so wanted to wipe it and
reinstall. Plus I have a lot of junk on it so I think it's time for a clean
start.

My question/concern is this: I have a number of partitions that I am scared
of losing. I have a Dell Vista OS Reinstall disc, which I assume I can just
stick in and begin format and reinstallon onto drive C: (which currently
contains my Vista OS). My partitions were made with Vista (not 3rd party
software) and I manage them with the Computer Management tool. What confuses
me is the different type of partitions - I have M: Music, V: Videos, S:
Software etc. These are all 'Logical Drives', which I have read come from an
'Extended Partition'. So I am scared that because they are Logical Drives
that I will maybe lose them if they are somehow linked to C:?

I've uploaded a screenshot of my Computer Management info here:
http://jasonandrews.byethost13.com/p...screenshot.jpg so please have a
look and advise me!

Many thanks,

Jason
Brink

Re: Reinstalling Vista and Keep/Protect Partitions?

Jason;681066 Wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and in need of advice please!
>
> I am having a few registry problems with Vista and so wanted to wipe it
> and
> reinstall. Plus I have a lot of junk on it so I think it's time for a
> clean
> start.
>
> My question/concern is this: I have a number of partitions that I am
> scared
> of losing. I have a Dell Vista OS Reinstall disc, which I assume I can
> just
> stick in and begin format and reinstallon onto drive C: (which
> currently
> contains my Vista OS). My partitions were made with Vista (not 3rd
> party
> software) and I manage them with the Computer Management tool. What
> confuses
> me is the different type of partitions - I have M: Music, V: Videos, S:
> Software etc. These are all 'Logical Drives', which I have read come
> from an
> 'Extended Partition'. So I am scared that because they are Logical
> Drives
> that I will maybe lose them if they are somehow linked to C:?
>
> I've uploaded a screenshot of my Computer Management info here:
> 'Web Hosting Blog — The world-wide-web explained'
> (http://jasonandrews.byethost13.com/p...screenshot.jpg) so please
> have a
> look and advise me!
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Jason

Hi Jason,

As long as you just select the C: partition to format and reinstall
Vista on, you will be fine. It will not delete the other partitions.

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*