Upgrading xp media center to vista home premium

Krynn

Upgrading xp media center to vista home premium
Ive looked all over and cant figure it out. Basically im currently running XP
media center and trying to upgrade to Vista Home Premium. I ran the upgrade
advisor and it said my computer is able to and id only have problems with a
few drivers (graphics cards ,sound, etc)
So i run the disc while sp was running as it says to , things are going fine
it gets down to expanding files part and reboots (it says it may reboot) but
upon reboot it doesnt continue instillation. It Gives me a few different blue
screens(to fast to see exact details) so now everytime i start my compuiter i
have to click on some menu about going back to old windows version.

BTW i bought the upgrade version of vista and clicked the keep old files.

2 3.2 p4 processors (not duo core just 2 in 1 port)
8500 GT PCI express G card
2 gigs of ram (ddr2)
not sure on mother board type other than its an asus

Young Baird

Re: Upgrading xp media center to vista home premium

r u booting from the disk or running it while in xp.

--
Young Baird

Windows Vista 32-bit
2.4Ghz Intel Dual Core
Nivida 8600 Graphics
Freecom DVD RW Drive
Samsung DVD Drive
22' Inch Monitor
6 Speaker System
Maxtor 250GB SATA II HDD
600W PSU
USB 802.11g Wireless
:geek:
Krynn

Re: Upgrading xp media center to vista home premium
Naturally im running from the disk after xp is loaded and signed in, The
problem is occuring after it reboots after a certain step before the entire
install is complete.

"Young Baird" wrote:

> r u booting from the disk or running it while in xp.
>

> --
> Young Baird
>
> Windows Vista 32-bit
> 2.4Ghz Intel Dual Core
> Nivida 8600 Graphics
> Freecom DVD RW Drive
> Samsung DVD Drive
> 22' Inch Monitor
> 6 Speaker System
> Maxtor 250GB SATA II HDD
> 600W PSU
> USB 802.11g Wireless
> :geek:

David P.

Re: Upgrading xp media center to vista home premium
I don't know if this will help, but you might turn off your antivirus
program - and not by simply right-clicking the icon in the system tray and
exiting. Instead go to msconfig and uncheck everything that pertains to
Macafee or Norton or whatever under the Startup tab. Then reboot before
trying the install again.

"Krynn" <Krynn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB29AAC5-6D8E-4E1D-AAA7-E9CF8FD8BA52@microsoft.com...
> Ive looked all over and cant figure it out. Basically im currently running
> XP
> media center and trying to upgrade to Vista Home Premium. I ran the
> upgrade
> advisor and it said my computer is able to and id only have problems with
> few drivers (graphics cards ,sound, etc)
> So i run the disc while sp was running as it says to , things are going
> fine
> it gets down to expanding files part and reboots (it says it may reboot)
> but
> upon reboot it doesnt continue instillation. It Gives me a few different
> blue
> screens(to fast to see exact details) so now everytime i start my
> compuiter i
> have to click on some menu about going back to old windows version.
>
> BTW i bought the upgrade version of vista and clicked the keep old files.
>
> 2 3.2 p4 processors (not duo core just 2 in 1 port)
> 8500 GT PCI express G card
> 2 gigs of ram (ddr2)
> not sure on mother board type other than its an asus

dwringer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if your motherboard has onboard graphics or sound, but you might try removing any unnecessary peripherals like sound card, etc and trying it that way. It might be misdetecting a driver that goes on to cause memory access violations or something. Also, and I hate to say it, you might want to clean-install the software on a blank partition or a new hard drive and see if you have the same issue. This can be done, search Google for instructions on clean-installing a vista upgrade.

When I used the Vista Release Candidate Beta, I first tried upgrading from Windows 2000 and got a similar problem; the only way I fixed it was to reformat the windows partition (losing all my old settings and half my applications) and start fresh

When I installed Home Premium, I wised up and got a brand new 320g SATA drive to put it on