Vista Home Premium will not upgrade to Ultimate

Daniel

Vista Home Premium will not upgrade to Ultimate
Hi

I have PC with Vista Home Premium SP1, I want to upgrade to Vista Ultimate
but I get a message that the Upgrade option has been disabled and to upgrade
to a version of Windows that is more current than the version you are
currently running.

So does that mean I cannot use my Ultimate Upgrade disk, ever??

Cheers

Mike Brannigan

Re: Vista Home Premium will not upgrade to Ultimate
"Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have PC with Vista Home Premium SP1, I want to upgrade to Vista Ultimate
> but I get a message that the Upgrade option has been disabled and to
> upgrade to a version of Windows that is more current than the version you
> are currently running.
>
> So does that mean I cannot use my Ultimate Upgrade disk, ever??
>
> Cheers

The SP1 install on your Home Edition has effectively raised the "version" of
Vista you are running to a higher level then the Ultimate upgrade disk you
are using.
You have two options:
1. remove SP1 from Home and then upgrade
2. Get an upgrade disk that already includes SP1 within the release - these
will be entering the channel over the next few months.

--

Mike Brannigan

Doug

Re: Vista Home Premium will not upgrade to Ultimate
You needn't reinstall Windows, as you should be able to change your product
key via System Properties. To do this:

1. Click Start, right click Computer and click Properties
2. Go to the bottom of the window, and click Change Product Key.
3. If a UAC prompt comes up, click Allow or enter in your Admin password.
4. Change your product key to the Vista Ultimate product key.
5. Do as it tells you to.

"Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have PC with Vista Home Premium SP1, I want to upgrade to Vista
>> Ultimate but I get a message that the Upgrade option has been disabled
>> and to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more current than the
>> version you are currently running.
>>
>> So does that mean I cannot use my Ultimate Upgrade disk, ever??
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> The SP1 install on your Home Edition has effectively raised the "version"
> of Vista you are running to a higher level then the Ultimate upgrade disk
> you are using.
> You have two options:
> 1. remove SP1 from Home and then upgrade
> 2. Get an upgrade disk that already includes SP1 within the release -
> these will be entering the channel over the next few months.
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

DocB1973

Re: Vista Home Premium will not upgrade to Ultimate
Doug - I tried the exact procedure you described. It said it accepted the
activation but still referenced that is was Vista Home Premium even though I
rebooted. Any ideas?

Thanks - Doc