Vista Access to Windows XP Administrator Files on External Hard Dr

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBQZWdyYW0=?=

Vista Access to Windows XP Administrator Files on External Hard Dr
My hard drive from my defunct Windows XP machine is now an external drive for
my Vista Home Premium machine. On that drive, I am able to access files in
Documents and Settings except those for the Administrator user. In the
latter folder, if I try to access a folder, I get the "you don't have
permission to access this folder" message. I then enter the administrator
password, and then am told I have been denied access to the folder, and I
must use the security tab. I'm then told I don't have permission, and that I
can take ownership to rectify this (no current owner is displayed). If I as
administrator (of the Vista computer) take ownership, I get the "destination
access folder denied" when I try to copy this folder (or its files)to another
location on the external hard drive or to the hard drive on the Vista
Computer.

With reference to other posts on "destination access folder denied", I do
not have virus protection running, I have tried using www.foldershare.com or
Control Panel>Folder Options to remedy this problem.

I also tried hooking up the external hard drive to a machine running Windows
XP. The crucial folder which I had taken ownership of in Windows Vista then
showed as empty from the Windows XP machine, even though in Vista I can see
the files inside the folder but can't copy the files.

Don

Re: Vista Access to Windows XP Administrator Files on External HardDr
William Pegram wrote:
> ... I get the "destination
> access folder denied" when I try to copy this folder (or its files)to another
> location on the external hard drive or to the hard drive on the Vista
> Computer...

Where on the Vista machine are you trying to put the copies? On Vista,
even if you think you are running as a real Administrator, you still may
be running with reduced privileges for some operations. Even though you
may be owner of the source directory you may not have write permission
on the target directory (on the Vista machine) depending on where you
try to put the copies.
=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBQZWdyYW0=?=

Re: Vista Access to Windows XP Administrator Files on External Har
I am trying to copy to the documents folder of a user account or the
administrator account. I can create documents in either. I would like to
clarify the error messages I get when I attempt to paste the file:
(1) Destination Folder Access Denied - You'll need to provide administrator
permission to copy to this file" (yes it says file, not folder)
(2) Prompted for administrator password which I then enter (it's the same on
the new machine as the old)
(3) Destination Access Folder Denied - You need permission to perform this
action - Try Again? Cancel?

"Don" wrote:

> William Pegram wrote:
> > ... I get the "destination
> > access folder denied" when I try to copy this folder (or its files)to another
> > location on the external hard drive or to the hard drive on the Vista
> > Computer...

> Where on the Vista machine are you trying to put the copies? On Vista,
> even if you think you are running as a real Administrator, you still may
> be running with reduced privileges for some operations. Even though you
> may be owner of the source directory you may not have write permission
> on the target directory (on the Vista machine) depending on where you
> try to put the copies.

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBQZWdyYW0=?=

Re: Vista Access to Windows XP Administrator Files on External Har
Problem solved through adding Everyone.

When I right click on the file or folder and select Properties and then
click on the Security tab, there will be a box listing group and user names,
and then the permissions for each. If one clicks on the box labelled Edit,
one is taken to another screen where one can edit the permissions for the
existing groups/usernames and buttons "Add" and "Remove" to add/remove
groups/usernames. My previous attempts were to add my administrator account
here and grant full control to this account and this never worked for me.

However, if I add "Everyone" and give "Everyone" full control to the file or
folder, everthing works fine. The easiest way to add Everyone is to click
"Add", then "Advanced", then "Find Now" and click on Everyone and then click
OK. When "everyone" is added to the list of usernames then select it and
check "Full Control" below.

William Pegram wrote:
> Problem solved through adding Everyone...

Did you do this on the source folder or the destination folder?
=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBQZWdyYW0=?=

Re: Vista Access to Windows XP Administrator Files on External Har
The source folder.