Install a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate a Virtual PC

nick

Install a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate a Virtual PC
Is it valid to install my Windows Vista Ultimate copy to Virtual PC 2007 on
the same computer for testing several features of the OS

If it is valid, do i have to activete this copy again?
Richard G. Harper

Re: Install a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate a Virtual PC
No, it is not valid.

"nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it valid to install my Windows Vista Ultimate copy to Virtual PC 2007
> on
> the same computer for testing several features of the OS
>
> If it is valid, do i have to activete this copy again?

Rick Rogers

Re: Install a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate a Virtual PC
Hi Nick,

A retail license for Vista allows for a single installation to a device. To
install to a virtual machine within an existing installation would be a
second install and require a second license to be legitimate.

Any installation of Vista has to be activated, whether that be automated or
over the phone - the latter method is the norm for subsequent activations of
a license.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it valid to install my Windows Vista Ultimate copy to Virtual PC 2007
> on
> the same computer for testing several features of the OS
>
> If it is valid, do i have to activete this copy again?

philo

Re: Install a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate a Virtual PC

"nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it valid to install my Windows Vista Ultimate copy to Virtual PC 2007

on
> the same computer for testing several features of the OS
>
> If it is valid, do i have to activete this copy again?

You'd need a seperate license.

Why not just clone your drive?

If you experiment to the point of breaking something...
you'll have a good backup

John Barnett MVP

Re: Install a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate a Virtual PC
If you are going to use Ultimate on VPC 2007 or any other VM software then
you need to buy another copy of Vista.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it valid to install my Windows Vista Ultimate copy to Virtual PC 2007
> on
> the same computer for testing several features of the OS
>
> If it is valid, do i have to activete this copy again?

Kerry Brown

Re: Install a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate a Virtual PC
"nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it valid to install my Windows Vista Ultimate copy to Virtual PC 2007
> on
> the same computer for testing several features of the OS
>
> If it is valid, do i have to activete this copy again?

You need a license for every copy of Vista you install. If you do a lot of
testing you may want to look into a MSDN or TechNet subscription. You can
download full versions of most Microsoft software and use it for testing or
evaluation depending on which subscription you buy. This may be less
expensive than buying several copies of Vista.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/