backup of non-boot drive

kaswesey

backup of non-boot drive

New to the forum, thank for having me.

I have a Vista Home Premium system that will not start. It gets as far
as the system bootup progress bar, tries to start then suddenly the
system shuts down. I have tried every possible recovery/repair technique
I could find and still no luck. The system is using a Intel motherboard
with Matrix Storage RAID which I have configured as RAID 1. In the
repair console (from Vista DVD) I can read the drive from a prompt
window so I assume the data is safe.

I would like to back up the user data (photos, docs, email) and do a
reinstall without the RAID 1 configuration. I have heard there are
problems with Vista and the Matrix Storage controller.

Question is: How would I go about backing up a non-bootable Vista
drive? I have another system running XP pro that I could mount the Vista
drive to and copy the data to a portable USB drive. Is this a
possibility? Will I run into any "access denied" issues when saving the
data off to a backup drive? Also, the system was using Outlook 03 for
email. What is the best way to recover the Outlook email data (messages,
addresses, etc.) from a non-bootable disk? Is this email data in the
same location as it is with XP?

Thank you so much in advance for you replies and assistance.

--
kaswesey
philo

Re: backup of non-boot drive

"kaswesey" <kaswesey.37mfk0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> New to the forum, thank for having me.
>
> I have a Vista Home Premium system that will not start. It gets as far
> as the system bootup progress bar, tries to start then suddenly the
> system shuts down. I have tried every possible recovery/repair technique
> I could find and still no luck. The system is using a Intel motherboard
> with Matrix Storage RAID which I have configured as RAID 1. In the
> repair console (from Vista DVD) I can read the drive from a prompt
> window so I assume the data is safe.
>
> I would like to back up the user data (photos, docs, email) and do a
> reinstall without the RAID 1 configuration. I have heard there are
> problems with Vista and the Matrix Storage controller.
>
> Question is: How would I go about backing up a non-bootable Vista
> drive? I have another system running XP pro that I could mount the Vista
> drive to and copy the data to a portable USB drive. Is this a
> possibility? Will I run into any "access denied" issues when saving the
> data off to a backup drive? Also, the system was using Outlook 03 for
> email. What is the best way to recover the Outlook email data (messages,
> addresses, etc.) from a non-bootable disk? Is this email data in the
> same location as it is with XP?
>
> Thank you so much in advance for you replies and assistance.

Yes . You can simply connect the drive to another machine.

If any of the data are not accessable it should just be a matter of taking
ownership

(see Windows help or Google for instructions)

Mick Murphy

RE: backup of non-boot drive
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...030811033.aspx
--
Above is how to back up emails forOutlook 2003

Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"kaswesey" wrote:

> New to the forum, thank for having me.
>
> I have a Vista Home Premium system that will not start. It gets as far
> as the system bootup progress bar, tries to start then suddenly the
> system shuts down. I have tried every possible recovery/repair technique
> I could find and still no luck. The system is using a Intel motherboard
> with Matrix Storage RAID which I have configured as RAID 1. In the
> repair console (from Vista DVD) I can read the drive from a prompt
> window so I assume the data is safe.
>
> I would like to back up the user data (photos, docs, email) and do a
> reinstall without the RAID 1 configuration. I have heard there are
> problems with Vista and the Matrix Storage controller.
>
> Question is: How would I go about backing up a non-bootable Vista
> drive? I have another system running XP pro that I could mount the Vista
> drive to and copy the data to a portable USB drive. Is this a
> possibility? Will I run into any "access denied" issues when saving the
> data off to a backup drive? Also, the system was using Outlook 03 for
> email. What is the best way to recover the Outlook email data (messages,
> addresses, etc.) from a non-bootable disk? Is this email data in the
> same location as it is with XP?
>
> Thank you so much in advance for you replies and assistance.
>

> --
> kaswesey

kaswesey

Re: backup of non-boot drive

Philo, thanks for the reply. I attempted your suggestion but am still
not able to take ownership of the necessary folders and therefore I'm
not able to save the data. I'm beginning to thing it will be necessary
to find another Vista machine from which to perform the backup.

--
kaswesey
kaswesey

Re: backup of non-boot drive

Mick, thank you for the link and info. Although the link describes how
to backup the email (.pst) files in Outlook after booting and starting
Outlook, I don't see any information about how to do it when the
computer won't boot. My question was in regards to backing up the data
from a non-bootable (but readable) Vista drive when mounted to an XP
system.

I was able to work with the system a bit more last evening. Here is an
update. I converted the RAID 1 to non-raid and configured a single drive
on the IDE port and tried a re-boot. Still the machine gets to the Vista
booting progress bar then restarts instead of shutting down. Before, it
was just shutting the computer off. Then I replaced the system memory
with known good memory and disconnected the power and data cables from
the DVD drive and floppy drive. This left only the essential computer
hardware for booting (mobo, cpu, memory, pwr supply, hdd). Still, the
computer got to the progress bar and went into reboot. Next I formatted
the drive and did a fresh install of Vista. During the first reboot of
the install, same thing happened, the computer fails to start and wants
to reboot. Since I can read from both drives when mounted on another
computer, and checked for errors and find no errors... I now believe I
am looking at a hardware failure. Either mobo or cpu. The mobo is an
Intel DG965WH and the cpu is a Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz. Both are only a year
old but under warrantee.

Any suggestions on how to isolate which hardware component is
failing... or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I
built this computer for a friend and have built dozens of computers but
this one has me stumped.

Thanks to all...

--
kaswesey
Mick Murphy

Re: backup of non-boot drive
See if one of your friends has a bootable MS-DOS disk. I used to make them in
previous OS on a bootable floppy, then transfer it, and make a bootable CD.
If you can find one, reboot with it, and if you get to an A: prompt, the
MOBO is OK, and the prob is in your Hard Drive.

If not, it is either MOBO or CPU
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"kaswesey" wrote:

> Mick, thank you for the link and info. Although the link describes how
> to backup the email (.pst) files in Outlook after booting and starting
> Outlook, I don't see any information about how to do it when the
> computer won't boot. My question was in regards to backing up the data
> from a non-bootable (but readable) Vista drive when mounted to an XP
> system.
>
> I was able to work with the system a bit more last evening. Here is an
> update. I converted the RAID 1 to non-raid and configured a single drive
> on the IDE port and tried a re-boot. Still the machine gets to the Vista
> booting progress bar then restarts instead of shutting down. Before, it
> was just shutting the computer off. Then I replaced the system memory
> with known good memory and disconnected the power and data cables from
> the DVD drive and floppy drive. This left only the essential computer
> hardware for booting (mobo, cpu, memory, pwr supply, hdd). Still, the
> computer got to the progress bar and went into reboot. Next I formatted
> the drive and did a fresh install of Vista. During the first reboot of
> the install, same thing happened, the computer fails to start and wants
> to reboot. Since I can read from both drives when mounted on another
> computer, and checked for errors and find no errors... I now believe I
> am looking at a hardware failure. Either mobo or cpu. The mobo is an
> Intel DG965WH and the cpu is a Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz. Both are only a year
> old but under warrantee.
>
> Any suggestions on how to isolate which hardware component is
> failing... or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I
> built this computer for a friend and have built dozens of computers but
> this one has me stumped.
>
> Thanks to all...
>

> --
> kaswesey

kaswesey

Re: backup of non-boot drive

Excellent suggestion Mick! I will try that tomorrow and post the
results.

Thanks Again...

--
kaswesey
kaswesey

Re: backup of non-boot drive

Update:

I have spent the morning trying to debug this system and I am more
confused and perplexed then ever. I am thinking about starting a new
post based on new information, but let me attempt explain here:

As denoted above, the system attempts to boot vista and dies at the
progress bar, completely shutting off. Per Mick's suggestion I tried
booting to a DOS boot disk and was successful. However, because no
drivers were loaded for the SATA interface, I could not read from the
C: drive. So, instead of dealing with Vista, I attempted a fresh install
of XP Pro w/SP2 and it installed and booted successfully. After
updating/installing most drivers, I attempted an upgrade installation of
Vista Home Premium. The install completed and on reboot the system
reverted back to the same symptoms; Vista begins to start, shows the
progress bar, then shuts down the computer completely!!! How
frustrating!

This hardware was purposely selected to run on Vista; Intel DG965WH;
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13Ghz; everything else has either been taken off line
or replaced, memory, DVD drive, Floppy, etc. The system ran for one year
albeit with a constant degraded RAID 1, followed by rebuild then
everything is ok for a few weeks/months. But now it won't even start.
Latest attempts have been in IDE mode (no RAID). Three year warrantee on
the MB/processor, maybe I should return both? Sure would like to
discover the issue though.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated!

--
kaswesey
kaswesey

Re: backup of non-boot drive

Mick,

Also swapped memory with known good memory, disconnected all
non-essential peripherals, tried two different hard drives, attempted
fresh installation and upgrade installation of Vista -- and it staill
fails at the same point and with the same symptoms. Yet, the system ran
for a year previous.

If it is not the mobo or cpu, what the heck could it be? Everything
else has been isolated except the power supply which you would think
would fail during the XP installation?!

--
kaswesey