Windows Easy Transfer Hangs On A File

Keith

Windows Easy Transfer Hangs On A File
I am trying to use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer documents and settings
from a Window XP machine to a new Vista Professional machine. I am trying to
do this over our network (SBS2003 if that's relevant).

Windows Easy Transfer seems to be working fine to a point, but then it gets
stuck on a particular file (on the XP machine) and doesn't continue. A
flashing icon appears near the top right, but there are no options to skip a
file or anything like that. I have tried deleting what I believed was the
offending file, only to have WET stop on a different file. If there was a
way to skip a problem file, that would be great, but the only time I see a
prompt suggesting that I can do that is after I have already cancelled the
transfer (on the XP machine).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Keith

JR--

RE: Windows Easy Transfer Hangs On A File
Hello Keith -

I have seen some issues like this in the past -

It might easier to try creating a migration store - save this store to a
network share or external usb drive - I have had pretty good results this way

However if you want to run a connected migration - you can try taking a
look at the log file Windows Easy Transfer creates

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Migwiz

Look for the setupact.log file - or setuperr.log - post the errors - this
should give us an idea of what is going on -

"Keith" wrote:

> I am trying to use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer documents and settings
> from a Window XP machine to a new Vista Professional machine. I am trying to
> do this over our network (SBS2003 if that's relevant).
>
> Windows Easy Transfer seems to be working fine to a point, but then it gets
> stuck on a particular file (on the XP machine) and doesn't continue. A
> flashing icon appears near the top right, but there are no options to skip a
> file or anything like that. I have tried deleting what I believed was the
> offending file, only to have WET stop on a different file. If there was a
> way to skip a problem file, that would be great, but the only time I see a
> prompt suggesting that I can do that is after I have already cancelled the
> transfer (on the XP machine).
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Keith

Keith

RE: Windows Easy Transfer Hangs On A File
JR,

I ended up just using WET to transfer the settings, transferring the files
manual to a network drive and then to the new computer.

Thanks for the response,

Keith

"JR--" wrote:

> Hello Keith -
>
> I have seen some issues like this in the past -
>
> It might easier to try creating a migration store - save this store to a
> network share or external usb drive - I have had pretty good results this way
>
> However if you want to run a connected migration - you can try taking a
> look at the log file Windows Easy Transfer creates
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Migwiz
>
> Look for the setupact.log file - or setuperr.log - post the errors - this
> should give us an idea of what is going on -
>

> "Keith" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer documents and settings
> > from a Window XP machine to a new Vista Professional machine. I am trying to
> > do this over our network (SBS2003 if that's relevant).
> >
> > Windows Easy Transfer seems to be working fine to a point, but then it gets
> > stuck on a particular file (on the XP machine) and doesn't continue. A
> > flashing icon appears near the top right, but there are no options to skip a
> > file or anything like that. I have tried deleting what I believed was the
> > offending file, only to have WET stop on a different file. If there was a
> > way to skip a problem file, that would be great, but the only time I see a
> > prompt suggesting that I can do that is after I have already cancelled the
> > transfer (on the XP machine).
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Keith

steve907

On Apr 14, 10:43 am, Keith <Ke...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> JR,
>
> I ended up just using WET totransferthe settings, transferring the files
> manual to a network drive and then to the new computer.
>
> Thanks for the response,
>
> Keith
>
> "JR--" wrote:
> > Hello Keith -

> > I have seen some issues like this in the past -

> > It might easier to try creating a migration store - save this store to a
> > network share or external usb drive - I have had pretty good results this way

> > However if you want to run a connected migration - you can try taking a
> > look at the log fileWindowsEasyTransfercreates

> > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Migwiz

> > Look for the setupact.log file - or setuperr.log - post the errors - this
> > should give us an idea of what is going on -

> > "Keith" wrote:

> > > I am trying to useWindowsEasyTransfertotransferdocuments and settings
> > > from a Window XP machine to a new Vista Professional machine. I am trying to
> > > do this over our network (SBS2003 if that's relevant).

> > >WindowsEasyTransferseems to be working fine to a point, but then it gets
> > > stuck on a particular file (on the XP machine) and doesn't continue. A
> > > flashing icon appears near the top right, but there are no options to skip a
> > > file or anything like that. I have tried deleting what I believed was the
> > > offending file, only to have WET stop on a different file. If there was a
> > > way to skip a problem file, that would be great, but the only time I see a
> > > prompt suggesting that I can do that is after I have already cancelled the
> > >transfer(on the XP machine).

> > > Does anyone have any ideas?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Keith

I'm having the same problem: Windows "Easy" Transfer over the
network. Both machines are running Vista. It's been sitting there
for over 6 hours - no progress indicator, a little blinking icon at
the top, absolutely no idea if anything is happening, 2 machines
unavailable for use. Is this normal? Do they charge money for this
kind of functionality?

Aloha_disc

RE: Windows Easy Transfer Hangs On A File
Keith,
Feel your pain.. Way too much pain. I've tried using the WET and
transfer cable numerous times now. Even that gets stuck on a file (a
different file each time), or just hangs without giving me any info at all.
(Is it stuck after 6 hours- and 2 hours not moving, or what?) It's not like
the progress bars are reliable-- My XP machine make progress, while Vista sat
there unmoved for the first 2 hours (but wasn't frozen- it just seemed to
be).. It is missing little niceties.. to show you the start time or
elapsed time or transferred data amount on-screen- you have to find it
buried on C: drive if it hangs up. After 4 failures - including one "the
computers have gotten out of synch" error - Retry (guaranteed freeze,
right?). WET says it doesn't combine folders of the same name - Not true!
Not if it freezes four times halfway through-- then it starts merging "new"
data into "existing" folders instead of creating Photo1, or Video1. And
why in the world would I specify a destination drive for a drive I am not
transferring any data from? That just annoys and confuses me-- ("maybe I
made a mistake- I'd better go back") Just another sign of a brute-force
one-size approach instead of a more polished product.
Thank you for allowing me to vent. Let the manual transfers begin..
-J