Forced dual boot

Canyonaro

Forced dual boot
I know that the normal way to go about dual boot is to install the oldest OS
first, but I just discovered (after a year) some old programs which won't run
on my Vista 64 setup. I'd like to run these old programs but at the cost of
uninstalling /reinstalling Vista it's not worth it.

I have quite a bit of space, so making a new boot partition for ocasional
boots - without the uninstall just choose which disk volum to boot from -
seems ideal. Anyone forsee any problems with this?
John Barnes

Re: Forced dual boot
It sounds like you are talking about 1 drive and 2 partitions. This would
be a problem.
If you are talking about 2 partitions on 2 drives, install your second OS
with the first drive temporarily disconnected.

"Canyonaro" <Canyonaro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know that the normal way to go about dual boot is to install the oldest
>OS
> first, but I just discovered (after a year) some old programs which won't
> run
> on my Vista 64 setup. I'd like to run these old programs but at the cost
> of
> uninstalling /reinstalling Vista it's not worth it.
>
> I have quite a bit of space, so making a new boot partition for ocasional
> boots - without the uninstall just choose which disk volum to boot from -
> seems ideal. Anyone forsee any problems with this?

Jawade

Re: Forced dual boot
In article <05B4FF3E-552A-4938-82A8-7DDA11D12661@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?Q2FueW9uYXJv?=
<Canyonaro@discussions.microsoft.com> says...
> I know that the normal way to go about dual boot is to install the oldest OS
> first, but I just discovered (after a year) some old programs which won't run
> on my Vista 64 setup. I'd like to run these old programs but at the cost of
> uninstalling /reinstalling Vista it's not worth it.
>
> I have quite a bit of space, so making a new boot partition for ocasional
> boots - without the uninstall just choose which disk volum to boot from -
> seems ideal. Anyone forsee any problems with this?

Just install your XP at the free partition, and installs EasyBCD
on it. With this you can restore the Vista bootstrap, and leave
the XP, a dual boot.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. Weer update BackUp-prog.
http://jawade.nl/ Met een mirror op http://jawade.fortunecity.com/
Mick Murphy

RE: Forced dual boot
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_v...step_guide.htm

Have a read of the above link.
A better way for you might be to set up a Virtual Machine..
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Canyonaro" wrote:

> I know that the normal way to go about dual boot is to install the oldest OS
> first, but I just discovered (after a year) some old programs which won't run
> on my Vista 64 setup. I'd like to run these old programs but at the cost of
> uninstalling /reinstalling Vista it's not worth it.
>
> I have quite a bit of space, so making a new boot partition for ocasional
> boots - without the uninstall just choose which disk volum to boot from -
> seems ideal. Anyone forsee any problems with this?

Rick Rogers

Re: Forced dual boot
Hi,

Run them in a Virtual Machine, no dual-booting is necessary. Download and
install Virtual PC for free, then create an environment with the older OS
and install programs there.

Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org