Can't Load on SCSI

Robert MacNab

Can't Load on SCSI
Boring computer. Hyperthreaded 2.8GHz P4, 2GB, on Intel board with
865G chipset. Adaptec 29160N SCSI HBA and Seagate 74GB 15K RPM disk.
Intel says the board works and Adaptec says the card works with Vista.
Trying to load Vista Business on clean disk.

"Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for
installation." Even after Vista setup creates the partition itself.
KB927520 talks about it. Says controller may be incompatible. Says
to load driver from floppy at start. So I download Windows Server
2003 driver, the only one on the Adaptec site. Vista reads the driver
but no help. Anybody, else hitting this? Do I throw away the SCSI,
the computer or Vista? I've taken out the sound card, disabled the
onboard NIC and moved the SCSI to a different PCI. Nothing helps. Can
somebody suggest a PCI SCSI HBA that works?

XP Pro is on a different SCSI disk. I've tried loading Vista from XP.
At first restart neither disk is bootable and Vista has hosed the boot
sector on the XP disk. I have to use the repair console to fix it.
Can't continue install.
Doug

Re: Can't Load on SCSI
Asus PC-DL Deluxe, 2 Xeon 3.25 GHz CPUs, 3 GB Ram
Adaptec 29160N SCSI & 2 Seagate 74 GB 10K Drives + 2 WD 300 GB IDEs
I have installed Vista from BETA 2 through RC1 & 2 and final on the first
SCSI drive and a second instance on the 2nd SCSI drive and never had any
problems at all. Vista Ultimate saw the drives and installed where I told it
to.
29160N also driving my HP 6100c scanner and Plextor SCSI CDRW .
Vista saw these as well, only had to load Deskscan II to use scanner.
I don't know what to tell you except that the 29160N will work with Vista
and I didn't have to
load any drivers for it.

Doug

"Robert MacNab" <w4xg@nova.org> wrote in message
> Boring computer. Hyperthreaded 2.8GHz P4, 2GB, on Intel board with
> 865G chipset. Adaptec 29160N SCSI HBA and Seagate 74GB 15K RPM disk.
> Intel says the board works and Adaptec says the card works with Vista.
> Trying to load Vista Business on clean disk.
>
> "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for
> installation." Even after Vista setup creates the partition itself.
> KB927520 talks about it. Says controller may be incompatible. Says
> to load driver from floppy at start. So I download Windows Server
> 2003 driver, the only one on the Adaptec site. Vista reads the driver
> but no help. Anybody, else hitting this? Do I throw away the SCSI,
> the computer or Vista? I've taken out the sound card, disabled the
> onboard NIC and moved the SCSI to a different PCI. Nothing helps. Can
> somebody suggest a PCI SCSI HBA that works?
>
> XP Pro is on a different SCSI disk. I've tried loading Vista from XP.
> At first restart neither disk is bootable and Vista has hosed the boot
> sector on the XP disk. I have to use the repair console to fix it.
> Can't continue install.

Robert MacNab

Re: Can't Load on SCSI
Thanks for posting. The BIOS on this SCSI is v2.56.0. If you can
catch the bootup text on yours please post your version. The latest
one on the Adaptec site is v3.10.0 and this one isn't even listed.
I've had this for years and I probably got it on Ebay. Maybe it's an
OEM. Maybe I'll try flashing it. If it bites the dust I won't have
lost much.

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:43:16 -0400, "Doug" <dhannah@quickclic.net>
wrote:

>Asus PC-DL Deluxe, 2 Xeon 3.25 GHz CPUs, 3 GB Ram
>Adaptec 29160N SCSI & 2 Seagate 74 GB 10K Drives + 2 WD 300 GB IDEs
>I have installed Vista from BETA 2 through RC1 & 2 and final on the first
>SCSI drive and a second instance on the 2nd SCSI drive and never had any
>problems at all. Vista Ultimate saw the drives and installed where I told it
>to.
>29160N also driving my HP 6100c scanner and Plextor SCSI CDRW .
>Vista saw these as well, only had to load Deskscan II to use scanner.
>I don't know what to tell you except that the 29160N will work with Vista
>and I didn't have to
>load any drivers for it.
>
>Doug
>
>"Robert MacNab" <w4xg@nova.org> wrote in message
>news:e76ev21im18qo0ueuukd0pqifbddtfr8j9@4ax.com.. .
>> Boring computer. Hyperthreaded 2.8GHz P4, 2GB, on Intel board with
>> 865G chipset. Adaptec 29160N SCSI HBA and Seagate 74GB 15K RPM disk.
>> Intel says the board works and Adaptec says the card works with Vista.
>> Trying to load Vista Business on clean disk.
>>
>> "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for
>> installation." Even after Vista setup creates the partition itself.
>> KB927520 talks about it. Says controller may be incompatible. Says
>> to load driver from floppy at start. So I download Windows Server
>> 2003 driver, the only one on the Adaptec site. Vista reads the driver
>> but no help. Anybody, else hitting this? Do I throw away the SCSI,
>> the computer or Vista? I've taken out the sound card, disabled the
>> onboard NIC and moved the SCSI to a different PCI. Nothing helps. Can
>> somebody suggest a PCI SCSI HBA that works?
>>
>> XP Pro is on a different SCSI disk. I've tried loading Vista from XP.
>> At first restart neither disk is bootable and Vista has hosed the boot
>> sector on the XP disk. I have to use the repair console to fix it.
>> Can't continue install.

Doug

Re: Can't Load on SCSI
I have the same BIOS v2.56.0
I had downloaded the v3.10.0 also but never flashed it as the v2.56.0 did
all I needed so far.

> Thanks for posting. The BIOS on this SCSI is v2.56.0. If you can
> catch the bootup text on yours please post your version. The latest
> one on the Adaptec site is v3.10.0 and this one isn't even listed.
> I've had this for years and I probably got it on Ebay. Maybe it's an
> OEM. Maybe I'll try flashing it. If it bites the dust I won't have
> lost much.
>
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:43:16 -0400, "Doug" <dhannah@quickclic.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Asus PC-DL Deluxe, 2 Xeon 3.25 GHz CPUs, 3 GB Ram
>>Adaptec 29160N SCSI & 2 Seagate 74 GB 10K Drives + 2 WD 300 GB IDEs
>>I have installed Vista from BETA 2 through RC1 & 2 and final on the first
>>SCSI drive and a second instance on the 2nd SCSI drive and never had any
>>problems at all. Vista Ultimate saw the drives and installed where I told
>>it
>>to.
>>29160N also driving my HP 6100c scanner and Plextor SCSI CDRW .
>>Vista saw these as well, only had to load Deskscan II to use scanner.
>>I don't know what to tell you except that the 29160N will work with Vista
>>and I didn't have to
>>load any drivers for it.
>>
>>Doug
>>
>>"Robert MacNab" <w4xg@nova.org> wrote in message
>>news:e76ev21im18qo0ueuukd0pqifbddtfr8j9@4ax.com. ..
>>> Boring computer. Hyperthreaded 2.8GHz P4, 2GB, on Intel board with
>>> 865G chipset. Adaptec 29160N SCSI HBA and Seagate 74GB 15K RPM disk.
>>> Intel says the board works and Adaptec says the card works with Vista.
>>> Trying to load Vista Business on clean disk.
>>>
>>> "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for
>>> installation." Even after Vista setup creates the partition itself.
>>> KB927520 talks about it. Says controller may be incompatible. Says
>>> to load driver from floppy at start. So I download Windows Server
>>> 2003 driver, the only one on the Adaptec site. Vista reads the driver
>>> but no help. Anybody, else hitting this? Do I throw away the SCSI,
>>> the computer or Vista? I've taken out the sound card, disabled the
>>> onboard NIC and moved the SCSI to a different PCI. Nothing helps. Can
>>> somebody suggest a PCI SCSI HBA that works?
>>>
>>> XP Pro is on a different SCSI disk. I've tried loading Vista from XP.
>>> At first restart neither disk is bootable and Vista has hosed the boot
>>> sector on the XP disk. I have to use the repair console to fix it.
>>> Can't continue install.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Can't Load on SCSI
I'm running stuff from my 19160 Adaptec scsi with BIOS 3.10 and it was
picked up by VISTA on its own.

(catalog)

Re: Can't Load on SCSI

Don't believe bios version on 29160n will stop Vista from loading, but
Vista will not load on a SCSI drive if is not listed as drive 0. If
there is any other drives attached (IDE) that the mother board bios
sees as HD 0, vista will not load. Make sure that the SCSI drive is
listed as (drive 0) in the Vista window that allows you to partion and
format. I had the same problem trying to load Vista with a LSI-21040
card. Computer had a SyQuest IDE 1.0g that the mother board bios was
listing as drive 0 even though all IDE hard drives where turned off and
bios was set to boot to SCSI.

--
(catalog)
(catalog)'s Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23907

http://forums.techarena.in

Robert MacNab

Re: Can't Load on SCSI
Thanks for replying. I got it working by enabling writeback cache and
int13 extensions. I don't really know what either or those does and
XP worked with them shut off. Probably only one of them mattered and
I don't know which one.