I hope this doesn't mean what I think this means.

=?Utf-8?B?U21pdGh5?=

I hope this doesn't mean what I think this means.
I bought Vista Home Prem. upgrade and installed it. Say if I wanted to do a
fresh installation to keep things in onder would I be able to...or would it
ask for an old disk which I don't have as XP came with the computer
pre-installed? I just wondered...

Thanks Community!
Mike Brannigan

Re: I hope this doesn't mean what I think this means.
"Smithy" <Smithy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsC8BC79D-DC0B-4BAF-AEE4-E423B3B1DAF7@microsoft.com...
>I bought Vista Home Prem. upgrade and installed it. Say if I wanted to do a
> fresh installation to keep things in onder would I be able to...or would
> it
> ask for an old disk which I don't have as XP came with the computer
> pre-installed? I just wondered...
>
> Thanks Community!

Your upgrade is to be run from within a genuine activated qualifying OS such
as Windows XP.
It is an UPGRADE.
It does sot ask for a old CD - it checks your compliance by being run from
inside a valid OS.

--
Mike Brannigan

Dave B.

Re: I hope this doesn't mean what I think this means.
Unless of course you use the procedure readily available via a Google search
to install it on an empty hard drive.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com

"Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> Unless of course you use the procedure readily available via a Google
> search to install it on an empty hard drive.

Of course that is an option but does not actually still give the poster what
they want - a genuine single install to a bare drive and not an OS "over" an
OS etc.
Its just time people actually understood that 1. an upgrade is that and not
a bare install and 2. that the "upgrade" process used by Windows Vista
produces bare install results anyway if you chose to not do an upgrade that
carries forward your old environment -- and then you just delete the.old
folders etc.

--
Mike Brannigan

"Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> Unless of course you use the procedure readily available via a Google
> search to install it on an empty hard drive.
>
> --
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> "Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
>
>> Your upgrade is to be run from within a genuine activated qualifying OS
>> such as Windows XP.
>> It is an UPGRADE.
>> It does sot ask for a old CD - it checks your compliance by being run
>> from inside a valid OS.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Brannigan

nospam

Re: I hope this doesn't mean what I think this means.

">> "Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message

>>> Your upgrade is to be run from within a genuine activated qualifying OS
>>> such as Windows XP.
>>> It is an UPGRADE.
>>> It does sot ask for a old CD - it checks your compliance by being run
>>> from inside a valid OS.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Brannigan

Upgrades can be problematic. Although this is a bit convoluted, the closest
to a clean install with an upgrade disk is the following:

1. Backup all your data.
2. Make sure you have all the executables and CDs/DVDs for your apps.
3. Delete partition/s on the HDD.
4. Do a barebones install XP (no drivers, apps, etc...).
5. Install Vista.

David B.

Re: I hope this doesn't mean what I think this means.
Give me a break, it's been understood since it became public that you had to
install twice, the OP said nothing about needing a "genuine single install
". It works the way it works, still a better option than installing XP then
the Vista upgrade IMHO.

--

----

> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
>> Unless of course you use the procedure readily available via a Google
>> search to install it on an empty hard drive.
>>

> Of course that is an option but does not actually still give the poster
> what they want - a genuine single install to a bare drive and not an OS
> "over" an OS etc.
> Its just time people actually understood that 1. an upgrade is that and
> not a bare install and 2. that the "upgrade" process used by Windows Vista
> produces bare install results anyway if you chose to not do an upgrade
> that carries forward your old environment -- and then you just delete
> the.old folders etc.
>

> --
> Mike Brannigan
>
> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
>> Unless of course you use the procedure readily available via a Google
>> search to install it on an empty hard drive.
>>
>> --
>> ----
>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://www.db-pc.com
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> "Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
>>
>>> Your upgrade is to be run from within a genuine activated qualifying OS
>>> such as Windows XP.
>>> It is an UPGRADE.
>>> It does sot ask for a old CD - it checks your compliance by being run
>>> from inside a valid OS.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Brannigan

Gary VanderMolen

"nospam" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:%23v5po8cZHHA.2432@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

> Upgrades can be problematic. Although this is a bit convoluted, the closest
> to a clean install with an upgrade disk is the following:
>
> 1. Backup all your data.
> 2. Make sure you have all the executables and CDs/DVDs for your apps.
> 3. Delete partition/s on the HDD.
> 4. Do a barebones install XP (no drivers, apps, etc...).
> 5. Install Vista.

I would think that a Vista over barebones Vista install would be cleaner
than a Vista over barebones XP install.
--
Gary VanderMolen
Roscoe

Re: I hope this doesn't mean what I think this means.
Are people really having trouble with this elementary concept?