copying files from old XP machine that won't boot to new Vista mac

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQg==?=

copying files from old XP machine that won't boot to new Vista mac
My motherboard on my old XP,,apparenly has issues..It gets power but will
never turn on,,fan spins briefly then dies. But it is older so I don't mind
and my upgrade will be in next week,,with Vista.

Can I run the file transfer wizard from the new Vista box via usb cable to
the old pc even if I can't boot it up?
It gets power,,the LAN port works etc..

I want to move over some docs, pics, pst files,,some software .exe
programs,,bookmarks..etc...I don't need the settings of these apps,,,I can
re-install on Vista...Can this be done even if I can't boot the old pc,,will
Vista on the box still "see" it? Or does the old machine need to be able to
set the fiiles up in a ceratin way for the new Vista box to bring them over?
If this can't be done,,what can I do to get the files/data off the old xp
hard drive over to my new Vista box?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Joe
Don

Re: copying files from old XP machine that won't boot to new Vistamac
JoeB wrote:
> My motherboard on my old XP,,apparenly has issues..It gets power but will
> never turn on,,fan spins briefly then dies...

I can't answer the question you asked, but it's possible that part of
power supply went bad. You might be able to rescue the whole machine
by replacing the power supply. And they're relatively cheap.
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQg==?=

Re: copying files from old XP machine that won't boot to new Vista
thanks,,I had thought of doing that,,but it is an older pc and my new vista
machine will be in 2 days and I want to get those files over sooner than
later. Would the belkin cable transfer work if I can only get the vista
machine to boot up. The other machine when I plug it in,,the fan turns
briefly then stops,,the lan port lights are on and it works (still have
wireless with my laptop),,But the hd light on the front of the unit does not
light and pressing the power switch does nothing at all. This was just a
"wake up one moring and it happened thing" I wasn't messing with the cables
or anything. But I am excited about the new much much more powerful system I
have on the way,,I just want to get some important data off the old XP box.

thanks
Joe

"Don" wrote:

> JoeB wrote:
> > My motherboard on my old XP,,apparenly has issues..It gets power but will
> > never turn on,,fan spins briefly then dies...

> I can't answer the question you asked, but it's possible that part of
> power supply went bad. You might be able to rescue the whole machine
> by replacing the power supply. And they're relatively cheap.

Dave B.

Re: copying files from old XP machine that won't boot to new Vista mac
How exactly are you going to transfer data from the old PC via USB if the
machine turn on?
This would be akin to driving your car when the engine won't start, of
course you can't.
You would need to install the old drive in the new PC as a slave and
manually copy the data to the new drive.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
"JoeB" <JoeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My motherboard on my old XP,,apparenly has issues..It gets power but will
> never turn on,,fan spins briefly then dies. But it is older so I don't
> mind
> and my upgrade will be in next week,,with Vista.
>
> Can I run the file transfer wizard from the new Vista box via usb cable to
> the old pc even if I can't boot it up?
> It gets power,,the LAN port works etc..
>
> I want to move over some docs, pics, pst files,,some software .exe
> programs,,bookmarks..etc...I don't need the settings of these apps,,,I can
> re-install on Vista...Can this be done even if I can't boot the old
> pc,,will
> Vista on the box still "see" it? Or does the old machine need to be able
> set the fiiles up in a ceratin way for the new Vista box to bring them
> over?
> If this can't be done,,what can I do to get the files/data off the old xp
> hard drive over to my new Vista box?
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks
> Joe

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQg==?=

Re: copying files from old XP machine that won't boot to new Vista
Very true dave,,I have read some posts elsewhere about the slave drive and
just drag and drop over to a folder on the new main drive..Looks like I will
be opening up the new PC when it comes and putting the old drive in there it
looks like. Anything I should be aware to make it sure it goes smoothly?
thanks much!!
Joe

"Dave B." wrote:

> How exactly are you going to transfer data from the old PC via USB if the
> machine turn on?
> This would be akin to driving your car when the engine won't start, of
> course you can't.
> You would need to install the old drive in the new PC as a slave and
> manually copy the data to the new drive.
>
> --
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> "JoeB" <JoeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My motherboard on my old XP,,apparenly has issues..It gets power but will
> > never turn on,,fan spins briefly then dies. But it is older so I don't
> > mind
> > and my upgrade will be in next week,,with Vista.
> >
> > Can I run the file transfer wizard from the new Vista box via usb cable to
> > the old pc even if I can't boot it up?
> > It gets power,,the LAN port works etc..
> >
> > I want to move over some docs, pics, pst files,,some software .exe
> > programs,,bookmarks..etc...I don't need the settings of these apps,,,I can
> > re-install on Vista...Can this be done even if I can't boot the old
> > pc,,will
> > Vista on the box still "see" it? Or does the old machine need to be able
> > set the fiiles up in a ceratin way for the new Vista box to bring them
> > over?
> > If this can't be done,,what can I do to get the files/data off the old xp
> > hard drive over to my new Vista box?
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > thanks
> > Joe

Dave B.

Re: copying files from old XP machine that won't boot to new Vista
Assuming your old drive is IDE and not SATA, the easiest way is to turn off
the new PC, unplug the data cable from the CD drives in the new PC and plug
it into the old hard drive, use one of the CD power cables to connect the
old drives power, boot up and copy away. Reverse procedure when your
finished.

--
----
> Very true dave,,I have read some posts elsewhere about the slave drive and
> just drag and drop over to a folder on the new main drive..Looks like I
> will
> be opening up the new PC when it comes and putting the old drive in there
> it
> looks like. Anything I should be aware to make it sure it goes smoothly?
> thanks much!!
> Joe
>
> "Dave B." wrote:
>
>> How exactly are you going to transfer data from the old PC via USB if the
>> machine turn on?
>> This would be akin to driving your car when the engine won't start, of
>> course you can't.
>> You would need to install the old drive in the new PC as a slave and
>> manually copy the data to the new drive.
>>
>> --
>> ----
>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://www.db-pc.com
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> "JoeB" <JoeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My motherboard on my old XP,,apparenly has issues..It gets power but
>> > will
>> > never turn on,,fan spins briefly then dies. But it is older so I don't
>> > mind
>> > and my upgrade will be in next week,,with Vista.
>> >
>> > Can I run the file transfer wizard from the new Vista box via usb cable
>> > the old pc even if I can't boot it up?
>> > It gets power,,the LAN port works etc..
>> >
>> > I want to move over some docs, pics, pst files,,some software .exe
>> > programs,,bookmarks..etc...I don't need the settings of these apps,,,I
>> > can
>> > re-install on Vista...Can this be done even if I can't boot the old
>> > pc,,will
>> > Vista on the box still "see" it? Or does the old machine need to be
>> > able
>> > set the fiiles up in a ceratin way for the new Vista box to bring them
>> > over?
>> > If this can't be done,,what can I do to get the files/data off the old
>> > xp
>> > hard drive over to my new Vista box?
>> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > thanks
>> > Joe

=?Utf-8?B?NTAwaG9tZXJ1bnM=?=

Re: copying files from old XP machine that won't boot to new Vista
I want to do the same thing "JoeB" is trying. My problem is not as bad, but
it is a problem.

When I turn on my old computer, Window starts up normaly until you choose a
user. After that I get a blue screen with a black & white gateway box. No
icons, no task bar, no start---nothing. I can bring up the windows task
manager with Ctr+Alt+Del, but I don't know if that will let me access the
files I want to transfer.

"JoeB" wrote:

> Very true dave,,I have read some posts elsewhere about the slave drive and
> just drag and drop over to a folder on the new main drive..Looks like I will
> be opening up the new PC when it comes and putting the old drive in there it
> looks like. Anything I should be aware to make it sure it goes smoothly?
> thanks much!!
> Joe
>
> "Dave B." wrote:
>
> > How exactly are you going to transfer data from the old PC via USB if the
> > machine turn on?
> > This would be akin to driving your car when the engine won't start, of
> > course you can't.
> > You would need to install the old drive in the new PC as a slave and
> > manually copy the data to the new drive.
> >
> > --
> > ----
> > Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
> > How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> > How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.db-pc.com
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > "JoeB" <JoeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My motherboard on my old XP,,apparenly has issues..It gets power but will
> > > never turn on,,fan spins briefly then dies. But it is older so I don't
> > > mind
> > > and my upgrade will be in next week,,with Vista.
> > >
> > > Can I run the file transfer wizard from the new Vista box via usb cable to
> > > the old pc even if I can't boot it up?
> > > It gets power,,the LAN port works etc..
> > >
> > > I want to move over some docs, pics, pst files,,some software .exe
> > > programs,,bookmarks..etc...I don't need the settings of these apps,,,I can
> > > re-install on Vista...Can this be done even if I can't boot the old
> > > pc,,will
> > > Vista on the box still "see" it? Or does the old machine need to be able
> > > set the fiiles up in a ceratin way for the new Vista box to bring them
> > > over?
> > > If this can't be done,,what can I do to get the files/data off the old xp
> > > hard drive over to my new Vista box?
> > > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > Joe

Dave B.

Re: copying files from old XP machine that won't boot to new Vista
You really should start you own thread on your problem rather than hijacking
an existing one.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
"500homeruns" <500homeruns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsA299134-80E5-4C20-8D96-3D0B0911F095@microsoft.com...
>I want to do the same thing "JoeB" is trying. My problem is not as bad,
>but
> it is a problem.
>
> When I turn on my old computer, Window starts up normaly until you choose
> user. After that I get a blue screen with a black & white gateway box.
> No
> icons, no task bar, no start---nothing. I can bring up the windows task
> manager with Ctr+Alt+Del, but I don't know if that will let me access the
> files I want to transfer.
>
> "JoeB" wrote:
>
>> Very true dave,,I have read some posts elsewhere about the slave drive
>> and
>> just drag and drop over to a folder on the new main drive..Looks like I
>> will
>> be opening up the new PC when it comes and putting the old drive in there
>> it
>> looks like. Anything I should be aware to make it sure it goes smoothly?
>> thanks much!!
>> Joe
>>
>> "Dave B." wrote:
>>
>> > How exactly are you going to transfer data from the old PC via USB if
>> > the
>> > machine turn on?
>> > This would be akin to driving your car when the engine won't start, of
>> > course you can't.
>> > You would need to install the old drive in the new PC as a slave and
>> > manually copy the data to the new drive.
>> >
>> > --
>> > ----
>> > Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>> > How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> > How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> > http://www.db-pc.com
>> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQg==?=

Re: copying files from old XP machine that won't boot to new Vista
awwww ok,,so don't even worry about mouting it inside the new box,,just
unplug one of cd/dvd drives and power the old drive with that power
cable..Upon reboot I am guessing that Vista will see that old drive ,,or do I
need to go into BIOS or anyting and set all drives to auto-detect..I really
appreciate the help!!

Joe

"Dave B." wrote:

> Assuming your old drive is IDE and not SATA, the easiest way is to turn off
> the new PC, unplug the data cable from the CD drives in the new PC and plug
> it into the old hard drive, use one of the CD power cables to connect the
> old drives power, boot up and copy away. Reverse procedure when your
> finished.
>
> --
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> "JoeB" <JoeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Very true dave,,I have read some posts elsewhere about the slave drive and
> > just drag and drop over to a folder on the new main drive..Looks like I
> > will
> > be opening up the new PC when it comes and putting the old drive in there
> > it
> > looks like. Anything I should be aware to make it sure it goes smoothly?
> > thanks much!!
> > Joe
> >
> > "Dave B." wrote:
> >
> >> How exactly are you going to transfer data from the old PC via USB if the
> >> machine turn on?
> >> This would be akin to driving your car when the engine won't start, of
> >> course you can't.
> >> You would need to install the old drive in the new PC as a slave and
> >> manually copy the data to the new drive.
> >>
> >> --
> >> ----
> >> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
> >> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> >> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >> http://www.db-pc.com

Dave B.

Re: copying files from old XP machine that won't boot to new Vista
No need to permanently mount it unless your going to keep it in there.
Yes, make sure your BIOS is set to auto detect, most are by default. In
theory, Vista will detect and set up the new drive and assign a drive
letter.

--
----