Dual Boot: Can I reinstall WindowsXP onto a different hard drive.......

Jeff Ingram

Dual Boot: Can I reinstall WindowsXP onto a different hard drive.......
Hello,

Here's another Dual Boot question. When I installed Vista it didn't give me
a dual boot menu so that I can boot back to XP. I know that you're supposed
to install XP first and then Vista, but now that Vista is install is it
possible to reinstall XP onto a different hard drive and then install some
sort of third party boot manager? If so, which one would work best?

Thanks,

Jeff

Chad Harris

Re: Dual Boot: Can I reinstall WindowsXP onto a different hard drive.......
Hi Jeff-

This may help if you installed Vista first, and the boot manager you can use
if it won't is this one:

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the
Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Good luck,

CH

"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Here's another Dual Boot question. When I installed Vista it didn't give
> me a dual boot menu so that I can boot back to XP. I know that you're
> supposed to install XP first and then Vista, but now that Vista is install
> is it possible to reinstall XP onto a different hard drive and then
> install some sort of third party boot manager? If so, which one would
> work best?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

John Barnes

Re: Dual Boot: Can I reinstall WindowsXP onto a different hard drive.......
Did you update XP? Do you still have an XP license or did you lose it by
using the less expensive upgrade version. You can always reinstall without a
license and set up dual booting using the Vista boot loader, but you must
disconnect the Vista drive while doing it. Then after setting it back up to
boot Vista, download and install VistaBootPro and set up a legacy drive,
pointing to the XP installation.

"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Here's another Dual Boot question. When I installed Vista it didn't give
> me a dual boot menu so that I can boot back to XP. I know that you're
> supposed to install XP first and then Vista, but now that Vista is install
> is it possible to reinstall XP onto a different hard drive and then
> install some sort of third party boot manager? If so, which one would
> work best?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

pete

Re: Dual Boot: Can I reinstall WindowsXP onto a different hard drive.......
Jeff
I am not a fan of VistaBootPro...maybe it was me..maybe the program..who
knows.
I dual Booted by setting up XP first and then installing Vista as a dual
boot.When I decided to just use Vista I tried to use bootPro to correct the
situation where I had the boot files on the C drive with XP and Vista on
the D drive...did not work...tried again...did not work.
I ended up just deleting/Formatting the C drive and doing a Vista repair
installation.

I still dual boot but now I installed each OS with its HD as the only thing
connected during installation.If I remove a HD the system will boot from the
other HD.My BIOS allows me to push F12 for an Optional Boot Screen where I
can pick which HD to boot from.
Whichever OS I decide to finally use completely It will be an easy change...
but thats just my opinion
peter
"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Here's another Dual Boot question. When I installed Vista it didn't give
> me a dual boot menu so that I can boot back to XP. I know that you're
> supposed to install XP first and then Vista, but now that Vista is install
> is it possible to reinstall XP onto a different hard drive and then
> install some sort of third party boot manager? If so, which one would
> work best?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Gerry Cornell

Re: Dual Boot: Can I reinstall WindowsXP onto a different hard drive.......
Jeff

You may find this link of interest:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/examples.html

--