transfer from external HD to new laptop

=?Utf-8?B?aW50aGV0cm9waWNz?=

transfer from external HD to new laptop
My old laptop running XP died so I pulled out the HD and put it into an
external HD holder. Now, I've purchased a new laptop with Vista and would
like to transfer all my files/setting from the external HD to my new laptop
but, Easy Transfer is not working/allowing me to do this and, I can not use
the Belkin cable as the external HD only has a firewire port. So, how can I
transfer my old laptop Windows XP file/settings from the external HD with a
firewire port, to, my new laptops USB port, which is running Windows Vista...
does anyone have any clues as I am stumped! Cheers!!
...winston

Re: transfer from external HD to new laptop
"inthetropics" <inthetropics@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78FA482B-4B09-49EE-8279-D77FDDD04F4F@microsoft.com...
: My old laptop running XP died so I pulled out the HD and put it into an
: external HD holder. Now, I've purchased a new laptop with Vista and would
: like to transfer all my files/setting from the external HD to my new laptop
: but, Easy Transfer is not working/allowing me to do this and, I can not use
: the Belkin cable as the external HD only has a firewire port. So, how can I
: transfer my old laptop Windows XP file/settings from the external HD with a
: firewire port, to, my new laptops USB port, which is running Windows Vista...
: does anyone have any clues as I am stumped! Cheers!!

Just so were on the same page...

How did you ascertain that Vista's Easy Transfer is not working if the external drive has an 1394 connection and the new laptop only a USB with an unusable cable that can't connect.

If you can't find a cable that converts firewire to usb and provide the correct data flow, then a USB 2.5" laptop drive enclosure should allow the connection.

..winston
Anth

RE: transfer from external HD to new laptop
Hi,
I'm in the same situation, did you work out how to do it ? Hard disc from my
old laptop has been put in a case that firewire to USB cable, so i can plug
it in etc but the Usernames on the external hard disc do not apear ?
Apreciate any info if you worked out how to do it !
Thnx
Anth.