Is it legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business Edition and downgrade it to XP Professional?

Puppy Breath

Re: Is it legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business Edition and downgrade it to XP Professional?
As far as I know you're free to put any OS you want on any computer you
want.

Do you have to buy the machine from Dell? If not, you could just buy a no-OS
system and install whatever you want on it. Here's some at TigerDirect:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...asp?CatId=336&

Some of them are "barebones", which means you may have to choose some
components as extras. But you can get whatever you want and not be stuck
with Vista or all the other garbage that the big box makers put on their
machines ;-)

"John Lima" <johnlima@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if itIs legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business
> Edition and downgrade it to XP Professional?
>
> Microsoft & Dell have put me in a back spot. I never expected this
> transition to happen overnight the way it did.
>
> Dell has few offerings worth buying that still have XP Pro on them.
>
> Since the applications I want to use are not "Yet" supported by
> Windows Vista, can I buy a new machine with Vista Business Edition,
> replace the hard drive or reformat and install XP Professional instead
> without purchasing a copy of XP Pro?
>
> I do have access to a Dell XP Pro CD, and I understand installing it
> does not prompt to ask for the license key.
>
> Does Microsoft's COA allow me to do this? It would seem rediculous
> for Microsoft to expect me to spend a few hundred dollars on a copy of
> XP Pro to "hold me over" until the software & hardware world have
> caught up in the transition. It would be a bad investment to buy a
> brand new machine with XP when Vista is already out, and just until
> recently Dell were offering the machines with XP and a free upgrade to
> Vista.
>
> I'm i'm not able to do that, can anyone provide a link or number where
> I can buy a Dell with XP Pro on it and a free upgrade to Vista Bus?
>
> Thanks.
>
> I'd also like to read the Vista Bus. Edition COA if someone can
> provide a link to it. I've already heard different answers from Dell
> about this, and i'm sure some of them would be happy to just sell me a
> copy of XP, even if I don't really need to buy it.

Puppy Breath

Re: Is it legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business Edition and downgrade it to XP Professional?
On first reading I missed the part about the Dell Pro CD being for a
different computer. If that's already installed on that other computer, I
don't think you'll be able to activate it after you do get it installed.

"John Lima" <johnlima@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if itIs legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business
> Edition and downgrade it to XP Professional?
>
> Microsoft & Dell have put me in a back spot. I never expected this
> transition to happen overnight the way it did.
>
> Dell has few offerings worth buying that still have XP Pro on them.
>
> Since the applications I want to use are not "Yet" supported by
> Windows Vista, can I buy a new machine with Vista Business Edition,
> replace the hard drive or reformat and install XP Professional instead
> without purchasing a copy of XP Pro?
>
> I do have access to a Dell XP Pro CD, and I understand installing it
> does not prompt to ask for the license key.
>
> Does Microsoft's COA allow me to do this? It would seem rediculous
> for Microsoft to expect me to spend a few hundred dollars on a copy of
> XP Pro to "hold me over" until the software & hardware world have
> caught up in the transition. It would be a bad investment to buy a
> brand new machine with XP when Vista is already out, and just until
> recently Dell were offering the machines with XP and a free upgrade to
> Vista.
>
> I'm i'm not able to do that, can anyone provide a link or number where
> I can buy a Dell with XP Pro on it and a free upgrade to Vista Bus?
>
> Thanks.
>
> I'd also like to read the Vista Bus. Edition COA if someone can
> provide a link to it. I've already heard different answers from Dell
> about this, and i'm sure some of them would be happy to just sell me a
> copy of XP, even if I don't really need to buy it.

David B.

Re: Is it legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business Edition and downgrade it to XP Professional?
It would be a violation of the EULA to use the XP disk from a different Dell
on your new one, it is an OEM license and only allowed for use on the PC it
shipped with. Also, you didn't spend "a few hundred dollars" on the copy of
XP that shipped with your old Dell, likely you paid less than $100 for it.
That being said, it is likely that you can use it to install XP on the Vista
machine, and it may even retain it's pre-activation as long as it recognizes
that your new PC is a Dell.
Another option would be to run an XP Virtual machine on the new Vista
machine and run your non Vista compatible software there.

--

----
http://www.db-pc.com

"John Lima" <johnlima@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if itIs legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business
> Edition and downgrade it to XP Professional?
>
> Microsoft & Dell have put me in a back spot. I never expected this
> transition to happen overnight the way it did.
>
> Dell has few offerings worth buying that still have XP Pro on them.
>
> Since the applications I want to use are not "Yet" supported by
> Windows Vista, can I buy a new machine with Vista Business Edition,
> replace the hard drive or reformat and install XP Professional instead
> without purchasing a copy of XP Pro?
>
> I do have access to a Dell XP Pro CD, and I understand installing it
> does not prompt to ask for the license key.
>
> Does Microsoft's COA allow me to do this? It would seem rediculous
> for Microsoft to expect me to spend a few hundred dollars on a copy of
> XP Pro to "hold me over" until the software & hardware world have
> caught up in the transition. It would be a bad investment to buy a
> brand new machine with XP when Vista is already out, and just until
> recently Dell were offering the machines with XP and a free upgrade to
> Vista.
>
> I'm i'm not able to do that, can anyone provide a link or number where
> I can buy a Dell with XP Pro on it and a free upgrade to Vista Bus?
>
> Thanks.
>
> I'd also like to read the Vista Bus. Edition COA if someone can
> provide a link to it. I've already heard different answers from Dell
> about this, and i'm sure some of them would be happy to just sell me a
> copy of XP, even if I don't really need to buy it.

John Lima

Re: Is it legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business Edition and downgrade it to XP Professional?
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:42:33 -0400, "Puppy Breath"
<nereply@nospam.com> wrote:

>On first reading I missed the part about the Dell Pro CD being for a
>different computer. If that's already installed on that other computer, I
>don't think you'll be able to activate it after you do get it installed.
>appy to just sell me a
>> copy of XP, even if I don't really need to buy it.

The Windows XP Pro installation CDs from Dell are generic, and do not
require entering the product key. Of course, they will only work with
Dell.

I'm asking this for legal advice about it, not rather if it can be
done.

So if Microsoft allows one to downgrade from Vista Bus to XP Pro, I
have the needed media to do so. Just want to make sure they aren't
going to have a cow about it. If so, i'll probably end up waiting
before buying a new pc since it is so rediculous to buy a new pc with
an outdated OS and pay full price to upgrade it in a few months when
the computer world is ready for us to do so.

Mike Brannigan

Re: Is it legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business Edition and downgrade it to XP Professional?
"John Lima" <johnlima@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if itIs legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business
> Edition and downgrade it to XP Professional?
>
> Microsoft & Dell have put me in a back spot. I never expected this
> transition to happen overnight the way it did.
>
> Dell has few offerings worth buying that still have XP Pro on them.
>
> Since the applications I want to use are not "Yet" supported by
> Windows Vista, can I buy a new machine with Vista Business Edition,
> replace the hard drive or reformat and install XP Professional instead
> without purchasing a copy of XP Pro?
>
> I do have access to a Dell XP Pro CD, and I understand installing it
> does not prompt to ask for the license key.
>
> Does Microsoft's COA allow me to do this? It would seem rediculous
> for Microsoft to expect me to spend a few hundred dollars on a copy of
> XP Pro to "hold me over" until the software & hardware world have
> caught up in the transition. It would be a bad investment to buy a
> brand new machine with XP when Vista is already out, and just until
> recently Dell were offering the machines with XP and a free upgrade to
> Vista.
>
> I'm i'm not able to do that, can anyone provide a link or number where
> I can buy a Dell with XP Pro on it and a free upgrade to Vista Bus?
>
> Thanks.
>
> I'd also like to read the Vista Bus. Edition COA if someone can
> provide a link to it. I've already heard different answers from Dell
> about this, and i'm sure some of them would be happy to just sell me a
> copy of XP, even if I don't really need to buy it.

Hi John,

What you are referring to is "downgrade" rights where you are legally
allowed to use a previous version of the operating system and move back up
to the one you originally purchase when you are ready.
The OEM End User License Agreement for Windows Vista Business
(EULAID:VISTA_RM.0_BUS_OEM_en-US) contains the following section:

14. DOWNGRADE. Instead of using the software, you may use one of the
following earlier versions:
. Microsoft Windows XP Professional,
. Microsoft Windows Professional x64 Edition, or
. Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.
This agreement applies to your use of the earlier versions. If the earlier
version includes different components, any terms for those components in the
agreement that comes with the earlier version apply to your use of them.
Neither the manufacturer or installer, nor Microsoft is obligated to supply
earlier versions to you. You must obtain the earlier version separately.
At any time, you may replace an earlier version with this version of the
software.

So the short answer is yes you have downgrade rights - now how you acquire
the software that you are licensed to use is up to you.
If you have a SLP (BIOS locked) protected Dell OEM CD that will work on your
machine then you are legal as you hold a valid license for Vista that
include downgrade rights and you have the software to use to exercise those
rights.
--
Mike Brannigan

=?Utf-8?B?RW1vcnkgVGVjaA==?=

Re: Is it legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business Edition and down
Just so you guys know the dell cds have their cd keys in a file on the disk
in the i386 folder. Look for Winnt.sif this has some of the setup information
in it. For dells that come preinstalled most are actually using the same cd
key. Which is in the sysprep folder. So actually there could be millions of
folks using the same cd key for a dell machine. Since dells activate using
the bios it is able to do that.

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> [...]

> This agreement applies to your use of the earlier versions. If the earlier
> version includes different components, any terms for those components in the
> agreement that comes with the earlier version apply to your use of them.
> Neither the manufacturer or installer, nor Microsoft is obligated to supply
> earlier versions to you. You must obtain the earlier version separately.
> At any time, you may replace an earlier version with this version of the
> software.
>

> So the short answer is yes you have downgrade rights - now how you acquire
> the software that you are licensed to use is up to you.
> If you have a SLP (BIOS locked) protected Dell OEM CD that will work on your
> machine then you are legal as you hold a valid license for Vista that
> include downgrade rights and you have the software to use to exercise those

John Lima

Re: Is it legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business Edition and downgrade it to XP Professional?
Thanks Mike. That does sum it up.

I'm unable to find this online to read myself. Can you post a link?

Does anyone disagree that this upgrade path may not be legal?
Microsoft certainly makes it difficult to find out, and Dell would
love to be able to tell people they have to pay for a copy of XP Pro
even if they own Vista Bus.

If this EULA is the correct one for Dell as an OEM, this EULA is
saying you may certainly legally downgrade but Microsoft won't supply
you with the media which you need to obtain yourself. I already have
the media.

[...]

The only issue I see as far as the EULA is you don't have a valid license to
install it on the Vista PC. Even though the Dell CD uses a volume key, you
still technically need a license to run it on a Dell other than the one it
shipped with (that one has the COA on the case).

--

----
http://www.db-pc.com

> Thanks Mike. That does sum it up.
>
> I'm unable to find this online to read myself. Can you post a link?
>
> Does anyone disagree that this upgrade path may not be legal?
> Microsoft certainly makes it difficult to find out, and Dell would
> love to be able to tell people they have to pay for a copy of XP Pro
> even if they own Vista Bus.
>
> If this EULA is the correct one for Dell as an OEM, this EULA is
> saying you may certainly legally downgrade but Microsoft won't supply
> you with the media which you need to obtain yourself. I already have
> the media.

> What you are referring to is "downgrade" rights where you are legally
> allowed to use a previous version of the operating system and move
> back up
> to the one you originally purchase when you are ready.
> The OEM End User License Agreement for Windows Vista Business
> (EULAID:VISTA_RM.0_BUS_OEM_en-US) contains the following section:
>
> 14. DOWNGRADE. Instead of using the software, you may use one of the
> following earlier versions:
> . Microsoft Windows XP Professional,
> . Microsoft Windows Professional x64 Edition, or
> . Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.
> This agreement applies to your use of the earlier versions. If the
> earlier version includes different components, any terms for those
> components in the agreement that comes with the earlier version apply
> to your use of them.
>
> Neither the manufacturer or installer, nor Microsoft is obligated to
> supply earlier versions to you. You must obtain the earlier version
> separately. At any time, you may replace an earlier version with this
> version of the software.
>
> So the short answer is yes you have downgrade rights - now how you
> acquire the software that you are licensed to use is up to you.
> If you have a SLP (BIOS locked) protected Dell OEM CD that will work
> on your machine then you are legal as you hold a valid license for
> Vista that include downgrade rights and you have the software to use
> to exercise those rights.
> --
> Mike Brannigan

Michael Jennings

Re: Is it legal to buy a Dell with Vista Business Edition and downgrade it to XP Professional?
There is a link at the bottom of this page
http://www.reasonco.com/vista/vistadowngraderights.htm
but getting to the oem/downgrade site requires you to sign in.