Moving "ALL" of the Special Folders to a new Location/Drive

cyranodesade

Moving "ALL" of the Special Folders to a new Location/Drive
All,
I'm trying to get some of the functionality that is normally available
using TweakUI.

Specifically I'm interested in moving all of the "special folders (I'm
aware of how to move My Documents, Images etc.)" to a new drive...

I was wondering if anyone knew of a utility that would help me move
things like CD burning, desktop, send to, share documents, start menu,
programs, start up, etc.

If there isn't a free utility available what are Windows registry keys
are for these items.

Also is anyone aware whether Group Policy Editor will allow you to do
this and if so does anyone know where there might be some
instructions.

Thanks in advance. - CES

<I cannot express how unfortunate it is that Microsoft has basically
abandoned the high-end enthusiast. The clean installation of Vista
from an upgrade disk was an incredible pain... And the fact that this
Vista does not include tweakUI which is been in every version of
Windows since 95 is a major omission.>

=?Utf-8?B?bWhvbnplbGw=?=

RE: Moving "ALL" of the Special Folders to a new Location/Drive
As others have posted: TweakUI was provided by MS employees who had some
spare time. I suspect they don't have any spare time at the moment with
Vienna on the horizon and Vista just released.

But, TweakIV is for Vista, is available for free and the full version costs
only a few bucks. It is very robust and worth the price.

http://www.totalidea.com

On Mar 12, 1:30 pm, mhonzell <mhonz...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> As others have posted: TweakUI was provided by MS employees who had some
> spare time. I suspect they don't have any spare time at the moment with
> Vienna on the horizon and Vista just released.
>
> But, TweakIV is for Vista, is available for free and the full version costs
> only a few bucks. It is very robust and worth the price.
>
> http://www.totalidea.com
>

> "cyranodesade" wrote:
> > All,
> > I'm trying to get some of the functionality that is normally available
> > using TweakUI.

> > Specifically I'm interested in moving all of the "special folders (I'm
> > aware of how to move My Documents, Images etc.)" to a new drive...

> > I was wondering if anyone knew of a utility that would help me move
> > things like CD burning, desktop, send to, share documents, start menu,
> > programs, start up, etc.

> > If there isn't a free utility available what are Windows registry keys
> > are for these items.

> > Also is anyone aware whether Group Policy Editor will allow you to do
> > this and if so does anyone know where there might be some
> > instructions.

> >Thanks in advance. - CES

> > <I cannot express how unfortunate it is that Microsoft has basically
> > abandoned the high-end enthusiast. The clean installation of Vista
> > from an upgrade disk was an incredible pain... And the fact that this
> > Vista does not include tweakUI which is been in every version of
> > Windows since 95 is a major omission.>- Hide quoted text -

Unfortunately the general consensus of the newsgroups that I've looked
at is this program is not worth the money and the free version doesn't
do anything - CES

cyranodesade

On Mar 12, 1:37 pm, "cyranodesade" <cyranodes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 12, 1:30 pm, mhonzell <mhonz...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>

> > As others have posted: TweakUI was provided by MS employees who had some
> > spare time. I suspect they don't have any spare time at the moment with
> > Vienna on the horizon and Vista just released.

> > But, TweakIV is for Vista, is available for free and the full version costs
> > only a few bucks. It is very robust and worth the price.

> >http://www.totalidea.com

> > "cyranodesade" wrote:
> > > All,
> > > I'm trying to get some of the functionality that is normally available
> > > using TweakUI.

> > > Specifically I'm interested in moving all of the "special folders (I'm
> > > aware of how to move My Documents, Images etc.)" to a new drive...

> > > I was wondering if anyone knew of a utility that would help me move
> > > things like CD burning, desktop, send to, share documents, start menu,
> > > programs, start up, etc.

> > > If there isn't a free utility available what are Windows registry keys
> > > are for these items.

> > > Also is anyone aware whether Group Policy Editor will allow you to do
> > > this and if so does anyone know where there might be some
> > > instructions.

> > >Thanks in advance. - CES

> > > <I cannot express how unfortunate it is that Microsoft has basically
> > > abandoned the high-end enthusiast. The clean installation of Vista
> > > from an upgrade disk was an incredible pain... And the fact that this
> > > Vista does not include tweakUI which is been in every version of
> > > Windows since 95 is a major omission.>- Hide quoted text -

> Unfortunately the general consensus of the newsgroups that I've looked
> at is this program is not worth the money and the free version doesn't
> do anything - CES- Hide quoted text -

Please reply to microsoft.public.windows.vista.General - A few
questions about "Editing the Registry"

Donald L McDaniel

On 12 Mar 2007 10:11:33 -0700, "cyranodesade" <cyranodesade@gmail.com> wrote:

>All,
>I'm trying to get some of the functionality that is normally available
>using TweakUI.
>
>Specifically I'm interested in moving all of the "special folders (I'm
>aware of how to move My Documents, Images etc.)" to a new drive...
>
>I was wondering if anyone knew of a utility that would help me move
>things like CD burning, desktop, send to, share documents, start menu,
>programs, start up, etc.
>
>If there isn't a free utility available what are Windows registry keys
>are for these items.
>
>Also is anyone aware whether Group Policy Editor will allow you to do
>this and if so does anyone know where there might be some
>instructions.
>
>Thanks in advance. - CES
>
><I cannot express how unfortunate it is that Microsoft has basically
>abandoned the high-end enthusiast. The clean installation of Vista
>from an upgrade disk was an incredible pain... And the fact that this
>Vista does not include tweakUI which is been in every version of
>Windows since 95 is a major omission.>

Try "TweakVI" from TotalIdea software (http://www.totalidea.com).
IT has the ability to relocate the Vista special folders (you MUST use a
commercial version, however, so you will have to pay a few dollars for a
license). They do have a free version, but I'm not sure it will relocate the
Vista special folders. I would just download it and see for yourself.

There are three levels of subscriptions, by the way: "Free", "Standard" (which
contains most plugins one really needs for Vista unless he intends to really get
deep into the OS and the registry), in which case there is "Ultimate". I do NOT
trust any of the Registry-cleaning functions of this product. I am sure that
the last time I used it, it really messed up my Registry -- to such an extent
that I had to reinstall Vista to be able to get back on the Desktop. After
using it, I started getting BSODs on boot ("win32k.sys"). At first, I was able
to recover by entering Safe Mode and reinstall my graphics driver (which the
BSOD indicated was the cause). But after two or three boots, I was not even
able to get into Safe Mode.

It's not quite stable enough for daily use, in my opinion. But they are to be
commended for getting out a Vista tweaking tool fairly quickly. No one else
has succeeded in releasing such software for Vista yet. Hopefully, they will
clean it up pretty quickly.

It's too bad that Automatic System Optimizer is not Vista compatible. I really
am hoping they get out a Vista version fairly quickly, since it is pretty much
the definitive tweaking tool for Windows.

If anyone has any other ideas for a Vista Tweaker, please let me know, ok?

Donald L McDaniel
Please Reply to the Original thread.