Vista SP1 Fails to Install From Windows Update

Eric

Vista SP1 Fails to Install From Windows Update
Hi All

Vista SP1 fails to install from Windows Update with the following code:-

800704C8

Anyone got any idea what this means? There is nothing in the knowledge base!
Curious

Re: Vista SP1 Fails to Install From Windows Update
Google on
"
vista sp1 800704C8
"
and you will get lots of hits.
"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> Vista SP1 fails to install from Windows Update with the following code:-
>
> 800704C8
>
> Anyone got any idea what this means? There is nothing in the knowledge
> base!

.Joe

Eric;653527 Wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Vista SP1 fails to install from Windows Update with the following
> code:-
>
> 800704C8
>
> Anyone got any idea what this means? There is nothing in the knowledge
> base!

I found this on a Microsoft Blog about this error. Here's the link:
'Windows Vista Team Blog : Update on Windows Vista SP1 Prerequisite
KB937287'
(http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...-kb937287.aspx)

I hope this helps.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_*::Click_here_for_the_Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_Geekbench_Score:_4050 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/42901\")_
_CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
David_P_Morse

Re: Vista SP1 Fails to Install From Windows Update

Step 1: Check Disk
==============
1. Click the Start Button, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the
Search bar.
2. Right click on the search result listed upper and click Run as
Administrator.
3. In the open command window, input the following command and press
Enter Key after it.

Chkdsk /f /r

4. Please type Y and press Enter.
5. Please restart the computer and let the tool check all drives on the
computer.

Step 2:
=============
1. Open an Administrator command prompt by clicking on the "Start"
Button -> "All Programs" -> "Accessories" -> Right click on "Command
Prompt" and selecting "Run as Administrator" and clicking "Allow" for
the elevation prompt
2. In the command prompt, type the command below:

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

Prompt should return that with "The operation completed successfully"

3. Close/Exit Command Prompt window;
4. Reboot the machine

Step 3: Install Windows Vista SP1 in Clean Boot Mode
Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting
to avoid conflict when installing Vista SP1.:

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops
up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and
click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All", click "OK" and restart the
computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup
programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or
other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please double click the downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1
Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows
Vista SP1.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above.
Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then
restart the computer.

--
David_P_Morse
David_P_Morse's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/228116.htm