And here we go with SP1

Drew

And here we go with SP1
I shouldn't be surprised but here goes....I checked today for SP1 on windows
update.. According to my computer no updates available however updates were
last installed on 03/13/08 and yet when you look at installed updates it
shows a windows defender update installed today....Hmmmm go figure !!

I have been reading several posts on this problem and have noticed that
Carey Frisch posted a link to troubleshoot
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5 and now here is a problem
and that is none of these apply to me... Once again Go figure !!

Running Vista Business 32bit here in the good old USA and of course the
English version
Vista is and has always been updated right on schedule....

Any ideas Guys and Gals ??

Richard in AZ

Re: And here we go with SP1
Try http://tinyurl.com/ywb4al

"Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I shouldn't be surprised but here goes....I checked today for SP1 on windows update.. According to
>my computer no updates available however updates were last installed on 03/13/08 and yet when you
>look at installed updates it shows a windows defender update installed today....Hmmmm go figure !!
>
> I have been reading several posts on this problem and have noticed that Carey Frisch posted a link
> to troubleshoot http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5 and now here is a problem and
> that is none of these apply to me... Once again Go figure !!
>
> Running Vista Business 32bit here in the good old USA and of course the English version
> Vista is and has always been updated right on schedule....
>
> Any ideas Guys and Gals ??

Bob

Re: And here we go with SP1

By default WD automatically installs new definitions.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I shouldn't be surprised but here goes....I checked today for SP1 on
>windows update.. According to my computer no updates available however
>updates were last installed on 03/13/08 and yet when you look at installed
>updates it shows a windows defender update installed today....Hmmmm go
>figure !!
>
> I have been reading several posts on this problem and have noticed that
> Carey Frisch posted a link to troubleshoot
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5 and now here is a
> problem and that is none of these apply to me... Once again Go figure !!
>
> Running Vista Business 32bit here in the good old USA and of course the
> English version
> Vista is and has always been updated right on schedule....
>
> Any ideas Guys and Gals ??

Colin Barnhorst

Re: And here we go with SP1
The issue with the blocker has to do with a few drivers that do not
reinstall after the upgrade. The installer uninstalls all drivers, updates
to SP1, then reinstalls the drivers again. A perfectly functioning driver
can have an error in how it is written that prevents an automated
reinstallation. You would not know ahead of time if one or more drivers on
your system is one of the problematical ones. You would not have had any
problems with it because that is not the issue. It is just that the updater
cannot reinstall it. These drivers (there are not many) have been
identified by MS and MS is working with the manufacturers to get corrected
drivers from them and onto WU. The number shrinks weekly as corrected
drivers get checked in.

If that is the problem then when the last driver on your system is off the
list you will be offered the upgrade. That's assuming that is what is going
on with your system. If you choose to install the standalone package you
may have a driver that does not reinstall but if you know how to manually
install a driver you can handle it that way. I suggest you just wait. MS
intends to disable the blocker in mid-April one way or the other.

"Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I shouldn't be surprised but here goes....I checked today for SP1 on
>windows update.. According to my computer no updates available however
>updates were last installed on 03/13/08 and yet when you look at installed
>updates it shows a windows defender update installed today....Hmmmm go
>figure !!
>
> I have been reading several posts on this problem and have noticed that
> Carey Frisch posted a link to troubleshoot
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5 and now here is a
> problem and that is none of these apply to me... Once again Go figure !!
>
> Running Vista Business 32bit here in the good old USA and of course the
> English version
> Vista is and has always been updated right on schedule....
>
> Any ideas Guys and Gals ??

occam

Re: And here we go with SP1
Drew wrote:

> I have been reading several posts on this problem and have noticed that
> Carey Frisch posted a link to troubleshoot
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5 and now here is a
> problem and that is none of these apply to me... Once again Go figure !!
>
> Running Vista Business 32bit here in the good old USA and of course the
> English version
> Vista is and has always been updated right on schedule....

I confirm - I get no offers of updates (Vista Business, 32 bit, standard
English) and NONE of the 8 reasons apply.

LoTek

Re: And here we go with SP1
"occam" wrote:

> I confirm - I get no offers of updates (Vista Business, 32 bit, standard
> English) and NONE of the 8 reasons apply.

Be glad that you don't, really. In my case, I've had two tries at installing
SP1, both ended up in catastrophic failure:
1st attempt: Full installer, worked fine up until it's time to reboot. After
reboot, during configuration it throws a BSoD and reboots then enters the
same configuration, throws a BSoD and reboots... (rinse & repeat)
Pulled myself out of that mixing a Vista DVD repair and a safe-mode boot.

At this point I realized I should've checked a couple of prerequisite
updates before trying, so I figured that was what happened (especially since
one of them supposedly causes this very issue)
Wrong, I had both auto-installed almost a month ago, so that's not the issue.

2nd attempt: I notice that Windows Update is now offering to install SP1 to
my computer. I figured that this would be different, since it checks what you
have and what you don't have.

Yeah, right, I find myself back in the BSoD-Reboot loop (luckily the DVD
repair/safe mode trick worked again)

Still, here I am with no SP1 and no real desire to retry installing until
someone somewhere says this is fixed.

So, when you do get to update, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP ALL
IMPORTANT DATA AND CREATED A RESTORE POINT BEFORE DOING SO!!!
Colin Barnhorst

Re: And here we go with SP1
How do you know none of the eight reasons apply to you? You would not know
a driver was problematical because it has nothing to do with how the driver
runs. It has to do with some drivers not permitting automatic
reinstallation after SP1 in installed.

"occam" <occam@razor.dot.com> wrote in message
> Drew wrote:
>
>> I have been reading several posts on this problem and have noticed that
>> Carey Frisch posted a link to troubleshoot
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5 and now here is a
>> problem and that is none of these apply to me... Once again Go figure
>> !!
>>
>> Running Vista Business 32bit here in the good old USA and of course the
>> English version
>> Vista is and has always been updated right on schedule....
>>

> I confirm - I get no offers of updates (Vista Business, 32 bit, standard
> English) and NONE of the 8 reasons apply.

Mark R. Cusumano

Re: And here we go with SP1
There is a list of problematic drivers. Of course it is possible that that
list is not comprehensive and one of the drivers you have
even though not listed on the tech note may still be problematic. There
were only about 12 drivers listed and it seems from what I am
reading there are actually quite a bit more.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> How do you know none of the eight reasons apply to you? You would not
> know a driver was problematical because it has nothing to do with how the
> driver runs. It has to do with some drivers not permitting automatic
> reinstallation after SP1 in installed.
>
> "occam" <occam@razor.dot.com> wrote in message
>> Drew wrote:
>>
>>> I have been reading several posts on this problem and have noticed that
>>> Carey Frisch posted a link to troubleshoot
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5 and now here is a
>>> problem and that is none of these apply to me... Once again Go figure
>>> !!
>>>
>>> Running Vista Business 32bit here in the good old USA and of course the
>>> English version
>>> Vista is and has always been updated right on schedule....
>>>

>> I confirm - I get no offers of updates (Vista Business, 32 bit, standard
>> English) and NONE of the 8 reasons apply.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: And here we go with SP1
The list was compiled based largely on reports from the TechBeta testers so
it is likely that there are others.

"Mark R. Cusumano" <spam@bitbucket.com> wrote in message
> There is a list of problematic drivers. Of course it is possible that
> that list is not comprehensive and one of the drivers you have
> even though not listed on the tech note may still be problematic. There
> were only about 12 drivers listed and it seems from what I am
> reading there are actually quite a bit more.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> How do you know none of the eight reasons apply to you? You would not
>> know a driver was problematical because it has nothing to do with how the
>> driver runs. It has to do with some drivers not permitting automatic
>> reinstallation after SP1 in installed.
>>
>> "occam" <occam@razor.dot.com> wrote in message

>>> I confirm - I get no offers of updates (Vista Business, 32 bit, standard
>>> English) and NONE of the 8 reasons apply.

Drew

Re: And here we go with SP1
Colin.... as usual you came through with a perfectly logical
explanation..... I was starting to think about that possibility when you
wrote your response. As always Thanks.. Drew