transfer programs from an old XP computer to a new XP computer

Mower Man

transfer programs from an old XP computer to a new XP computer
Will Windows Easy Transfer work with only XP? I'm getting a new laptop before
my old one stops working and I don't want to move to Vista. I just want to
move XP pro to XP pro.
Bob F.

Re: transfer programs from an old XP computer to a new XP computer
Mower Man,
"Windows Easy Transfer helps you to easily move the files and settings
stored on your PC running Windows 2000, Windows XP, or even Windows Vista to
a new PC running Windows Vista." From:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ytransfer.mspx
Doesn't mention XP to XP
--
Regards, BobF.
"Mower Man" <Mower Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will Windows Easy Transfer work with only XP? I'm getting a new laptop
> before
> my old one stops working and I don't want to move to Vista. I just want to
> move XP pro to XP pro.

DL

Re: transfer programs from an old XP computer to a new XP computer
Its not going to move applications, they all need reinstalling

"Mower Man" <Mower Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will Windows Easy Transfer work with only XP? I'm getting a new laptop
> before
> my old one stops working and I don't want to move to Vista. I just want to
> move XP pro to XP pro.

John Barnes

Re: transfer programs from an old XP computer to a new XP computer
XP has it's own program for transferring settings between XP computers.

"Mower Man" <Mower Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will Windows Easy Transfer work with only XP? I'm getting a new laptop
> before
> my old one stops working and I don't want to move to Vista. I just want to
> move XP pro to XP pro.

f/fgeorge

Re: transfer programs from an old XP computer to a new XP computer
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:49:39 -0700, "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net>
wrote:

>XP has it's own program for transferring settings between XP computers.
>
>"Mower Man" <Mower Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Will Windows Easy Transfer work with only XP? I'm getting a new laptop
>> before
>> my old one stops working and I don't want to move to Vista. I just want to
>> move XP pro to XP pro.

You should NOT just copy things over. You will have the same old
problems with the new system that you are having with the old one.
Reinstall all the programs and only copy the documents over. This will
give the best results from buying a new pc.
John Barnes

Re: transfer programs from an old XP computer to a new XP computer
Transferring files and settings selectively is a whole lot different from
doing an upgrade.

"f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@yourplace.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:49:39 -0700, "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net>
> wrote:
>
>>XP has it's own program for transferring settings between XP computers.
>>
>>"Mower Man" <Mower Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Will Windows Easy Transfer work with only XP? I'm getting a new laptop
>>> before
>>> my old one stops working and I don't want to move to Vista. I just want
>>> move XP pro to XP pro.

> You should NOT just copy things over. You will have the same old
> problems with the new system that you are having with the old one.
> Reinstall all the programs and only copy the documents over. This will
> give the best results from buying a new pc.

Mower Man

Re: transfer programs from an old XP computer to a new XP computer
Thanks everyone! I'm not having problems with the software / hardware the
computer is just old and slow. Time to upgrade the hardware but I didn't want
to upgrade the software as it is doing what I need. I do think I have the
procedure now. I need to load all of my software and then move files and
settings. Seems easy I just wanted to be sure.