OEM Produck Key

john

OEM Produck Key

Hi, hope someone can help. I just purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista
Business. It came with recovery discs and a Vista upgrade disc. The Vista
upgrade disc did not come with a product key. I used the upgrade disc to
do
a clean install on my desktop to see if my hardware was compatible, etc....
I now have Vista installed on my desktop without having entered a produck
key and I have 30 days to activate the OS.
Obviously, I can't use the OEM produck key that came with laptop to
activate
Vista and when I checked the activation area on my Vista desktop it has
what
seems to be a generic key that does not resemble the usual 5 grouped
produck
key. How can activate and pay for this?

TIA,
john

John Barnes

Re: OEM Produck Key
You will have to buy a retail or another OEM product. It is highly unlikely
that you will be able to use the installation you have done with the Toshiba
recovery disk.

"john" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

> Hi, hope someone can help. I just purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista
> Business. It came with recovery discs and a Vista upgrade disc. The
> Vista
> upgrade disc did not come with a product key. I used the upgrade disc to
> do
> a clean install on my desktop to see if my hardware was compatible,
> etc....
> I now have Vista installed on my desktop without having entered a produck
> key and I have 30 days to activate the OS.
> Obviously, I can't use the OEM produck key that came with laptop to
> activate
> Vista and when I checked the activation area on my Vista desktop it has
> what
> seems to be a generic key that does not resemble the usual 5 grouped
> produck
> key. How can activate and pay for this?
>
> TIA,
> john

Mark

Re: OEM Produck Key
I'm confused:
Did you recover or upgrade?

> You will have to buy a retail or another OEM product. It is highly
> unlikely that you will be able to use the installation you have done with
> the Toshiba recovery disk.
>
> "john" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi, hope someone can help. I just purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista
>> Business. It came with recovery discs and a Vista upgrade disc. The
>> Vista
>> upgrade disc did not come with a product key. I used the upgrade disc to
>> do
>> a clean install on my desktop to see if my hardware was compatible,
>> etc....
>> I now have Vista installed on my desktop without having entered a produck
>> key and I have 30 days to activate the OS.
>> Obviously, I can't use the OEM produck key that came with laptop to
>> activate
>> Vista and when I checked the activation area on my Vista desktop it has
>> what
>> seems to be a generic key that does not resemble the usual 5 grouped
>> produck
>> key. How can activate and pay for this?
>>
>> TIA,
>> john

Michael Jennings

Re: OEM Produck Key
Maybe he got it with business and did an anytime upgrade to ultimate,
but I have no idea how that would work. He should be able to use the
recovery disks to restore it to the way Tosh shipped it. If that's not
what he wants, he should call Toshiba and ask them what to do.

"Mark" <jmhonzell@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:uFqoqoEZHHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I'm confused:
> Did you recover or upgrade?
>

> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> You will have to buy a retail or another OEM product. It is highly
>> unlikely that you will be able to use the installation you have done with
>> the Toshiba recovery disk.
>>
>> "john" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hi, hope someone can help. I just purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista
>>> Business. It came with recovery discs and a Vista upgrade disc. The
>>> Vista
>>> upgrade disc did not come with a product key. I used the upgrade disc to
>>> do
>>> a clean install on my desktop to see if my hardware was compatible,
>>> etc....
>>> I now have Vista installed on my desktop without having entered a produck
>>> key and I have 30 days to activate the OS.
>>> Obviously, I can't use the OEM produck key that came with laptop to
>>> activate
>>> Vista and when I checked the activation area on my Vista desktop it has
>>> what
>>> seems to be a generic key that does not resemble the usual 5 grouped
>>> produck
>>> key. How can activate and pay for this?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> john

john

Re: OEM Produck Key

"Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Maybe he got it with business and did an anytime upgrade to ultimate,
> but I have no idea how that would work. He should be able to use the
> recovery disks to restore it to the way Tosh shipped it. If that's not
> what he wants, he should call Toshiba and ask them what to do.
>
> "Mark" <jmhonzell@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> I'm confused:
>> Did you recover or upgrade?
>>

>> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>>> You will have to buy a retail or another OEM product. It is highly
>>> unlikely that you will be able to use the installation you have done
>>> with
>>> the Toshiba recovery disk.
>>>
>>> "john" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

Sorry for any confusion, I'll try to clear this up.
The Toshiba laptop came with recovery discs specific to the laptop, but it
also came with a separate Vista DVD to be used for an anytime upgrade. The
Vista disc seems to be the same as a retail disc, except for no product key.
The Vista DVD is what I used to install on my desktop with no product key.

BTW, sorry the "produck" spelling, there's a Freudian slip in there
somewhere

john

Mark

Re: OEM Produck Key
Okay, back to original response.
If you recover, you can get the OEM to work with phone activation. (It's
installed on the machine it was licensed with.)

If you want to upgrade, use the Windows Anytime Upgrade and purchase the
upgrade license you desire, download the small installation file, insert the
upgrade DVD and run the file.

> "Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Maybe he got it with business and did an anytime upgrade to ultimate,
>> but I have no idea how that would work. He should be able to use the
>> recovery disks to restore it to the way Tosh shipped it. If that's not
>> what he wants, he should call Toshiba and ask them what to do.
>>
>> "Mark" <jmhonzell@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm confused:
>>> Did you recover or upgrade?
>>>

>>> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message

> Sorry for any confusion, I'll try to clear this up.
> The Toshiba laptop came with recovery discs specific to the laptop, but it
> also came with a separate Vista DVD to be used for an anytime upgrade.
> The Vista disc seems to be the same as a retail disc, except for no
> product key. The Vista DVD is what I used to install on my desktop with no
> product key.
>
> BTW, sorry the "produck" spelling, there's a Freudian slip in there
> somewhere
>
> john

=?Utf-8?B?Ym9vYm9v?=

RE: OEM Produck Key

"john" wrote:

> Hi, hope someone can help. I just purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista
> Business. It came with recovery discs and a Vista upgrade disc. The Vista
> upgrade disc did not come with a product key. I used the upgrade disc to
> do
> a clean install on my desktop to see if my hardware was compatible, etc....
> I now have Vista installed on my desktop without having entered a produck
> key and I have 30 days to activate the OS.
> Obviously, I can't use the OEM produck key that came with laptop to
> activate
> Vista and when I checked the activation area on my Vista desktop it has
> what
> seems to be a generic key that does not resemble the usual 5 grouped
> produck
> key. How can activate and pay for this?
>
> TIA,
> john

You still need key if for upgrading to vista (from xp tablet. if that is
what it originally came with) There's no such "special upgrade dvd" that
needs no key. The key you should have is upgrade key. So use that key to
install/upgrade over the vista (That's how your license will work... only
retail or oem keys will install totally clean). Toshiba's recovery disc
usually also comes with separate applications.

personal opinion: I hate toshiba's bloated software packages.

=?Utf-8?B?QnVydA==?=

RE: OEM Produck Key
I have a somewhat different problem. I have a new Dell, with Vista
preinstalled. I have activated Vista. When I go to try to get support from MS
(other problems I won't go into now!!). I click "Let Microsoft locate the
product identification number:
"- but I am then told that the product ID no. is not valid! I've tried
entering it manually, with the same result.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this?

Dell support says that they don't understand Vista and I should go to MS for
support. But I can't get to MS without first getting my product ID
acknowledged, a real Catch 22.

--
Burt

"booboo" wrote:

> "john" wrote:
>

> > Hi, hope someone can help. I just purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista
> > Business. It came with recovery discs and a Vista upgrade disc. The Vista
> > upgrade disc did not come with a product key. I used the upgrade disc to
> > do
> > a clean install on my desktop to see if my hardware was compatible, etc....
> > I now have Vista installed on my desktop without having entered a produck
> > key and I have 30 days to activate the OS.
> > Obviously, I can't use the OEM produck key that came with laptop to
> > activate
> > Vista and when I checked the activation area on my Vista desktop it has
> > what
> > seems to be a generic key that does not resemble the usual 5 grouped
> > produck
> > key. How can activate and pay for this?
> >
> > TIA,
> > john
> >

> You still need key if for upgrading to vista (from xp tablet. if that is
> what it originally came with) There's no such "special upgrade dvd" that
> needs no key. The key you should have is upgrade key. So use that key to
> install/upgrade over the vista (That's how your license will work... only
> retail or oem keys will install totally clean). Toshiba's recovery disc
> usually also comes with separate applications.
>
> personal opinion: I hate toshiba's bloated software packages.

John Barnes

Re: OEM Produck Key
MS does not support OEM product. It is up to Dell, whether they like it or
not.

"Burt" <Burt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a somewhat different problem. I have a new Dell, with Vista
> preinstalled. I have activated Vista. When I go to try to get support from
> MS
> (other problems I won't go into now!!). I click "Let Microsoft locate the
> product identification number:
> "- but I am then told that the product ID no. is not valid! I've tried
> entering it manually, with the same result.
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution to this?
>
> Dell support says that they don't understand Vista and I should go to MS
> for
> support. But I can't get to MS without first getting my product ID
> acknowledged, a real Catch 22.
>

> --
> Burt
>

> "booboo" wrote:
>

>> "john" wrote:
>>

>> > Hi, hope someone can help. I just purchased a Toshiba laptop with
>> > Vista
>> > Business. It came with recovery discs and a Vista upgrade disc. The
>> > Vista
>> > upgrade disc did not come with a product key. I used the upgrade disc
>> > do
>> > a clean install on my desktop to see if my hardware was compatible,
>> > etc....
>> > I now have Vista installed on my desktop without having entered a
>> > produck
>> > key and I have 30 days to activate the OS.
>> > Obviously, I can't use the OEM produck key that came with laptop to
>> > activate
>> > Vista and when I checked the activation area on my Vista desktop it
>> > has
>> > what
>> > seems to be a generic key that does not resemble the usual 5 grouped
>> > produck
>> > key. How can activate and pay for this?
>> >
>> > TIA,
>> > john
>> >

>> You still need key if for upgrading to vista (from xp tablet. if that is
>> what it originally came with) There's no such "special upgrade dvd" that
>> needs no key. The key you should have is upgrade key. So use that key
>> install/upgrade over the vista (That's how your license will work... only
>> retail or oem keys will install totally clean). Toshiba's recovery disc
>> usually also comes with separate applications.
>>
>> personal opinion: I hate toshiba's bloated software packages.

=?Utf-8?B?bWhvbnplbGw=?=

RE: OEM Produck Key
Dell is going to have to resolve your problem.
Your version is OEM and Microsoft will provide literally no support for OEM
versions.