OEM Produck Key

john

OEM Produck Key
Hi, hope someone can help. I just purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista
Business. It came with recovery discs and a Vista upgrade disc. The Vista
upgrade disc did not come with a product key. I used the upgrade disc to do
a clean install on my desktop to see if my hardware was compatible, etc....
I now have Vista installed on my desktop without having entered a produck
key and I have 30 days to activate the OS.
Obviously, I can't use the OEM produck key that came with laptop to activate
Vista and when I checked the activation area on my Vista desktop it has what
seems to be a generic key that does not resemble the usual 5 grouped produck
key. How can activate and pay for this?

TIA,
john

Mark

Re: OEM Produck Key
1. Call MS Activation Number... they will redirect you to purchase a valid
key.
2. Use the link under Control Panel for Windows Anytime Upgrade.

"john" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi, hope someone can help. I just purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista
> Business. It came with recovery discs and a Vista upgrade disc. The
> Vista upgrade disc did not come with a product key. I used the upgrade
> disc to do a clean install on my desktop to see if my hardware was
> compatible, etc.... I now have Vista installed on my desktop without
> having entered a produck key and I have 30 days to activate the OS.
> Obviously, I can't use the OEM produck key that came with laptop to
> activate Vista and when I checked the activation area on my Vista desktop
> it has what seems to be a generic key that does not resemble the usual 5
> grouped produck key. How can activate and pay for this?
>
> TIA,
> john

Kerry Brown

Re: OEM Produck Key
If the Vista upgrade disk came from Toshiba then contact them for the
procedure to use it. If it was added as an extra by the seller of the laptop
then contact them.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"john" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi, hope someone can help. I just purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista
> Business. It came with recovery discs and a Vista upgrade disc. The
> Vista upgrade disc did not come with a product key. I used the upgrade
> disc to do a clean install on my desktop to see if my hardware was
> compatible, etc.... I now have Vista installed on my desktop without
> having entered a produck key and I have 30 days to activate the OS.
> Obviously, I can't use the OEM produck key that came with laptop to
> activate Vista and when I checked the activation area on my Vista desktop
> it has what seems to be a generic key that does not resemble the usual 5
> grouped produck key. How can activate and pay for this?
>
> TIA,
> john

John Barnes

Re: OEM Produck Key
You really think that Toshiba (maker of the laptop) is going to support the
installation of their recovery disk on his unknown desktop?

> If the Vista upgrade disk came from Toshiba then contact them for the
> procedure to use it. If it was added as an extra by the seller of the
> laptop then contact them.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "john" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, hope someone can help. I just purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista
>> Business. It came with recovery discs and a Vista upgrade disc. The
>> Vista upgrade disc did not come with a product key. I used the upgrade
>> disc to do a clean install on my desktop to see if my hardware was
>> compatible, etc.... I now have Vista installed on my desktop without
>> having entered a produck key and I have 30 days to activate the OS.
>> Obviously, I can't use the OEM produck key that came with laptop to
>> activate Vista and when I checked the activation area on my Vista desktop
>> it has what seems to be a generic key that does not resemble the usual 5
>> grouped produck key. How can activate and pay for this?
>>
>> TIA,
>> john

Mike Hall - MS MVP

Re: OEM Produck Key
John

I will look out of the window and tell you when hell freezes over..

> You really think that Toshiba (maker of the laptop) is going to support
> the installation of their recovery disk on his unknown desktop?

>> If the Vista upgrade disk came from Toshiba then contact them for the
>> procedure to use it. If it was added as an extra by the seller of the
>> laptop then contact them.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

>> "john" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi, hope someone can help. I just purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista
>>> Business. It came with recovery discs and a Vista upgrade disc. The
>>> Vista upgrade disc did not come with a product key. I used the upgrade
>>> disc to do a clean install on my desktop to see if my hardware was
>>> compatible, etc.... I now have Vista installed on my desktop without
>>> having entered a produck key and I have 30 days to activate the OS.
>>> Obviously, I can't use the OEM produck key that came with laptop to
>>> activate Vista and when I checked the activation area on my Vista
>>> desktop it has what seems to be a generic key that does not resemble the
>>> usual 5 grouped produck key. How can activate and pay for this?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> john

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

John Barnes

Re: OEM Produck Key
I anxiously await your report. :-)

"Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> John
>
> I will look out of the window and tell you when hell freezes over..
>
> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> You really think that Toshiba (maker of the laptop) is going to support
>> the installation of their recovery disk on his unknown desktop?
>>
>> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
>>> If the Vista upgrade disk came from Toshiba then contact them for the
>>> procedure to use it. If it was added as an extra by the seller of the
>>> laptop then contact them.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kerry Brown
>>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>>

>>> "john" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

john

Re: OEM Produck Key

"Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> John
>
> I will look out of the window and tell you when hell freezes over..
>
> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> You really think that Toshiba (maker of the laptop) is going to support
>> the installation of their recovery disk on his unknown desktop?
>>
>> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
>>> If the Vista upgrade disk came from Toshiba then contact them for the
>>> procedure to use it. If it was added as an extra by the seller of the
>>> laptop then contact them.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kerry Brown
>>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>>

>>> "john" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Hell's already frozen over, it went the way of netiquette.

John Barnes

Re: OEM Produck Key
Netiqutte has you continue the posting sequence of the thread. Bottom
posting is such a waste of time for most who already follow the thread and
don't want to drag thru verbiage they have already seen. Since you have
nothing better to do, feel free to drag my post to the bottom. :-) On
second part I will put it there for you.

> "Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> John
>>
>> I will look out of the window and tell you when hell freezes over..
>>
>> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>>> You really think that Toshiba (maker of the laptop) is going to support
>>> the installation of their recovery disk on his unknown desktop?
>>>
>>> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message

>> --
>>

>> Mike Hall
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/
>>

> Hell's already frozen over, it went the way of netiquette.

Netiqutte has you continue the posting sequence of the thread. Bottom
posting is such a waste of time for most who already follow the thread and
don't want to drag thru verbage they have already seen. Since you have
nothing better to do, feel free to drag my post to the bottom. :-) On
second part I will put it there for you.

Michael Jennings

Re: OEM Produck Key
Here let us observe a moment of silence for the netiquette newsgroup,
which once was and is no more. Abandonned by all, rest in peace

"Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Here let us observe a moment of silence for the netiquette newsgroup,
> which once was and is no more. Abandonned by all, rest in peace

I called Toshiba and the Vista DVD I received along with the Recovery CDs is
for a Windows Anytime Upgrade.
The interesting thing about the Vista DVD is that it seems to function
exactly as a retail version in that I can install any version of Vistal I
choose on another computer, of course, I would have to purchase a product
key.
Finally, rather than risk alienating any member of this group with my
netiquette, or lack of, may I say, I lay prostrate before the gods and beg
for mercy.