Do I need a partition?

Eric

Do I need a partition?
I am clean installing Vista Home Prem. on my Toshiba. Reinstall, actually.
Do I need to install the OS on a partition?
Are there any benefits to installing it on a partition?

I am not planning on running multi OS on my system, just Vista.
philo

Re: Do I need a partition?

"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am clean installing Vista Home Prem. on my Toshiba. Reinstall, actually.
> Do I need to install the OS on a partition?
> Are there any benefits to installing it on a partition?
>
> I am not planning on running multi OS on my system, just Vista.

Any operating system installed on a harddrive requires at least one
partition

John Barnes

Re: Do I need a partition?
Yes. One active primary partition is required minimum.

"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am clean installing Vista Home Prem. on my Toshiba. Reinstall, actually.
> Do I need to install the OS on a partition?
> Are there any benefits to installing it on a partition?
>
> I am not planning on running multi OS on my system, just Vista.

Jawade

Re: Do I need a partition?
In article <1CDD694B-F8BE-4C09-8561-C2B345084E0C@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYw==?=
<Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> says...
> I am clean installing Vista Home Prem. on my Toshiba. Reinstall, actually.
> Do I need to install the OS on a partition?
> Are there any benefits to installing it on a partition?
>
> I am not planning on running multi OS on my system, just Vista.

There are several reasons for take 2 or 3 partitions. For backup,
for data, for structure.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. Weer veel vernieuwd!
http://jawade.nl/ Met een mirror op http://jawade.fortunecity.com/
Bruce Chambers

Re: Do I need a partition?
Eric wrote:
> I am clean installing Vista Home Prem. on my Toshiba. Reinstall, actually.
> Do I need to install the OS on a partition?

Yes.

> Are there any benefits to installing it on a partition?

It's not possible to install any version of Windows (or any other
operating system, for that matter) without there being at least one
partition on which to install the OS. Whether you need more than one
partition depends entirely upon you're personal preference.

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/...212750,00.html

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/...ive_format.asp

http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm

--