Upgrade to Vista - Intel ATA drivers problem

=?Utf-8?B?cGF0cnVucw==?=

Upgrade to Vista - Intel ATA drivers problem
My Intel board (D845BG) is no longer supported and the primary and secondary
channel drivers are not compatible with Vista. I can't believe a simple
driver issue would prevent me from installing Vista. Does anyone know of a
work around? Maybe a generic driver that would work? I am using IDE drives.
This should be a no brainer.

Thanks.

Pat
Adam Albright

Re: Upgrade to Vista - Intel ATA drivers problem
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:47:00 -0700, patruns
<patruns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My Intel board (D845BG) is no longer supported and the primary and secondary
>channel drivers are not compatible with Vista. I can't believe a simple
>driver issue would prevent me from installing Vista. Does anyone know of a
>work around? Maybe a generic driver that would work? I am using IDE drives.
>This should be a no brainer.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Pat

Where message do you get from the Vista Upgrade Advisor?
The first IDE controller issue I've read, usually SATA.

Have you checked the Intel web site for new drivers?

One fix requiring you dig a little deep in your pocket but cheaper
they buying a new MB is to get an IDE controller card that plugs into
your MB. Just be sure IT is Vista capable.

Something along the lines of this:

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Siig_U...E4A12/p/117469

I just picked the first that popped up in a Google search. You also
need to match to your MB's slots but SIIG is a good brand check out
THEIR web site directly.

JW

Re: Upgrade to Vista - Intel ATA drivers problem
What happens when you try and install Vista?

"patruns" <patruns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Intel board (D845BG) is no longer supported and the primary and
> secondary
> channel drivers are not compatible with Vista. I can't believe a simple
> driver issue would prevent me from installing Vista. Does anyone know of a
> work around? Maybe a generic driver that would work? I am using IDE
> drives.
> This should be a no brainer.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pat

=?Utf-8?B?cGF0cnVucw==?=

Re: Upgrade to Vista - Intel ATA drivers problem
Vista runs a compatability test and then tells me the drivers must be
upgraded first. I am not allowed to continue with the installation.

"JW" wrote:

> What happens when you try and install Vista?
>
> "patruns" <patruns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Intel board (D845BG) is no longer supported and the primary and
> > secondary
> > channel drivers are not compatible with Vista. I can't believe a simple
> > driver issue would prevent me from installing Vista. Does anyone know of a
> > work around? Maybe a generic driver that would work? I am using IDE
> > drives.
> > This should be a no brainer.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Pat

=?Utf-8?B?cGF0cnVucw==?=

Re: Upgrade to Vista - Intel ATA drivers problem
The upgrade advisor (on the Vista disk) says I must update the drivers before
I can continue with the installation. The downloadable adviser from Microsoft
only tells me the drivers are not in their database and offers no further
info.

There are no newer drivers on tyhe Intel site and they off no support for
this board anymore.

I hadn't thought of the controller card and i will, though at this point I
am not sure i am willing to invest further just to have Vista when the
machine works perfectly fine for my needs.

Thanks.

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:47:00 -0700, patruns
> <patruns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My Intel board (D845BG) is no longer supported and the primary and secondary
> >channel drivers are not compatible with Vista. I can't believe a simple
> >driver issue would prevent me from installing Vista. Does anyone know of a
> >work around? Maybe a generic driver that would work? I am using IDE drives.
> >This should be a no brainer.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Pat

> Where message do you get from the Vista Upgrade Advisor?
> The first IDE controller issue I've read, usually SATA.
>
> Have you checked the Intel web site for new drivers?
>
> One fix requiring you dig a little deep in your pocket but cheaper
> they buying a new MB is to get an IDE controller card that plugs into
> your MB. Just be sure IT is Vista capable.
>
> Something along the lines of this:
>
> http://www.superwarehouse.com/Siig_U...E4A12/p/117469
>
> I just picked the first that popped up in a Google search. You also
> need to match to your MB's slots but SIIG is a good brand check out
> THEIR web site directly.

koze

Re: Upgrade to Vista - Intel ATA drivers problem
Do you have the latest versions of the INF files from Intel installed on the
machine?
Ko

"patruns" <patruns@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
news005B950-993D-426F-BDA0-28A884A41876@microsoft.com...
> The upgrade advisor (on the Vista disk) says I must update the drivers
> before
> I can continue with the installation. The downloadable adviser from
> Microsoft
> only tells me the drivers are not in their database and offers no further
> info.
>
> There are no newer drivers on tyhe Intel site and they off no support for
> this board anymore.
>
> I hadn't thought of the controller card and i will, though at this point I
> am not sure i am willing to invest further just to have Vista when the
> machine works perfectly fine for my needs.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Adam Albright" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:47:00 -0700, patruns
>> <patruns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >My Intel board (D845BG) is no longer supported and the primary and
>> >secondary
>> >channel drivers are not compatible with Vista. I can't believe a simple
>> >driver issue would prevent me from installing Vista. Does anyone know of
>> >work around? Maybe a generic driver that would work? I am using IDE
>> >drives.
>> >This should be a no brainer.
>> >
>> >Thanks.
>> >
>> >Pat

>> Where message do you get from the Vista Upgrade Advisor?
>> The first IDE controller issue I've read, usually SATA.
>>
>> Have you checked the Intel web site for new drivers?
>>
>> One fix requiring you dig a little deep in your pocket but cheaper
>> they buying a new MB is to get an IDE controller card that plugs into
>> your MB. Just be sure IT is Vista capable.
>>
>> Something along the lines of this:
>>
>> http://www.superwarehouse.com/Siig_U...E4A12/p/117469
>>
>> I just picked the first that popped up in a Google search. You also
>> need to match to your MB's slots but SIIG is a good brand check out
>> THEIR web site directly.

JW

Re: Upgrade to Vista - Intel ATA drivers problem
Do you have the latest BIOS for your MOBO?

> Vista runs a compatability test and then tells me the drivers must be
> upgraded first. I am not allowed to continue with the installation.
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> What happens when you try and install Vista?
>>
>> "patruns" <patruns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My Intel board (D845BG) is no longer supported and the primary and
>> > secondary
>> > channel drivers are not compatible with Vista. I can't believe a simple
>> > driver issue would prevent me from installing Vista. Does anyone know
>> > of a
>> > work around? Maybe a generic driver that would work? I am using IDE
>> > drives.
>> > This should be a no brainer.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Pat

=?Utf-8?B?cGF0cnVucw==?=

Re: Upgrade to Vista - Intel ATA drivers problem
I have the latest versions that they made available..............

"koze" wrote:

> Do you have the latest versions of the INF files from Intel installed on the
> machine?
> Ko
>
> "patruns" <patruns@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> news005B950-993D-426F-BDA0-28A884A41876@microsoft.com...
> > The upgrade advisor (on the Vista disk) says I must update the drivers
> > before
> > I can continue with the installation. The downloadable adviser from
> > Microsoft
> > only tells me the drivers are not in their database and offers no further
> > info.
> >
> > There are no newer drivers on tyhe Intel site and they off no support for
> > this board anymore.
> >
> > I hadn't thought of the controller card and i will, though at this point I
> > am not sure i am willing to invest further just to have Vista when the
> > machine works perfectly fine for my needs.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Adam Albright" wrote:

> >> Where message do you get from the Vista Upgrade Advisor?
> >> The first IDE controller issue I've read, usually SATA.
> >>
> >> Have you checked the Intel web site for new drivers?
> >>
> >> One fix requiring you dig a little deep in your pocket but cheaper
> >> they buying a new MB is to get an IDE controller card that plugs into
> >> your MB. Just be sure IT is Vista capable.
> >>
> >> Something along the lines of this:
> >>
> >> http://www.superwarehouse.com/Siig_U...E4A12/p/117469
> >>
> >> I just picked the first that popped up in a Google search. You also
> >> need to match to your MB's slots but SIIG is a good brand check out
> >> THEIR web site directly.

JW

Re: Upgrade to Vista - Intel ATA drivers problem
It appears that since your MOBO is 5 years old that there are no Vista BIOS
or driver updates of any kind availble for it.
"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> Do you have the latest BIOS for your MOBO?
>
> "patruns" <patruns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Vista runs a compatability test and then tells me the drivers must be
>> upgraded first. I am not allowed to continue with the installation.
>>
>> "JW" wrote:
>>
>>> What happens when you try and install Vista?

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Upgrade to Vista - Intel ATA drivers problem
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:47:00 -0700, patruns

>My Intel board (D845BG) is no longer supported and the primary and secondary
>channel drivers are not compatible with Vista. I can't believe a simple
>driver issue would prevent me from installing Vista. Does anyone know of a
>work around? Maybe a generic driver that would work? I am using IDE drives.
>This should be a no brainer.

Are you doing a clean install, or an over-old upgrade?

If doing an over-old upgrade, then Vista may be confronted with
"special" drivers (or nebulous driver-like code such as the Intel
Application Accelerator) that are XP-specific.

So I'd start by uninstalling anything like that, before doing the
Vista install (do the "restart Windows" thing too, so that the
uninstall is properly concluded).

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!