Vista no longer activates after re-instal

Morten B. Høstrup

Vista no longer activates after re-instal
Hey. I have a problem with activating my windows Vista after I upgraded my
harddisk and did a fresh install of my Windows vista ultimate (64 bit). When
I try to activate my Vista it says my vista license is already in use.
However the only use that installation is off, at the moment, is collecting
dust in my drawer until I send it to some electronics recycling (it's in that
bad shape my old harddisk). Is there some way to de-activate my previous
install? (and please tell me I dont have to put in my old harddisk again to
fix it).

I'm hoping for an easy solution ;-)
Malke

Re: Vista no longer activates after re-instal
Morten B. Høstrup wrote:

> Hey. I have a problem with activating my windows Vista after I upgraded my
> harddisk and did a fresh install of my Windows vista ultimate (64 bit).
> When I try to activate my Vista it says my vista license is already in
> use. However the only use that installation is off, at the moment, is
> collecting dust in my drawer until I send it to some electronics recycling
> (it's in that bad shape my old harddisk). Is there some way to de-activate
> my previous install? (and please tell me I dont have to put in my old
> harddisk again to fix it).
>
> I'm hoping for an easy solution ;-)

The solution, quite easy, is that you try and activate again and use the
telephone option. If the automatic activation by telephone doesn't work, be
patient, stay on the phone and wait a few seconds - a human will come on
and you will tell him/her that your hard drive died and they will activate
Windows for you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista no longer activates after re-instal
You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in: slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5. Once completed, restart your computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Morten B. Høstrup" wrote:

Hey. I have a problem with activating my windows Vista after I upgraded my
harddisk and did a fresh install of my Windows vista ultimate (64 bit). When
I try to activate my Vista it says my vista license is already in use.
However the only use that installation is off, at the moment, is collecting
dust in my drawer until I send it to some electronics recycling (it's in that
bad shape my old harddisk). Is there some way to de-activate my previous
install? (and please tell me I dont have to put in my old harddisk again to
fix it).

I'm hoping for an easy solution ;-)

Morten B. Høstrup

Re: Vista no longer activates after re-instal
Thank you very much for the advice, it worked like a charm =)