Windows Vista & XP Multi Boot System

HorseBum

Windows Vista & XP Multi Boot System
I bought a new laptop with Vista already installed on it. I want to install
XP in a multi boot configuration but get stuck in Disk Management and am
unable to proceed from there. I'd like to keep Vista on my laptop, but if it
comes down to it I'll need to take it off and put on XP because our work
computers run with XP and we do a lot of work on reports and presentations
from home and network from home. Any help would be much appreciated. I
can't find the New Partition Wizard to make a space for XP.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Windows Vista & XP Multi Boot System
Install Windows XP in a Dual Boot with Pre-installed Windows Vista
http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/about88231.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"HorseBum" <HorseBum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7ECCB497-72AB-4D7E-9ABF-C902E8B90452@microsoft.com...
I bought a new laptop with Vista already installed on it. I want to install
XP in a multi boot configuration but get stuck in Disk Management and am
unable to proceed from there. I'd like to keep Vista on my laptop, but if it
comes down to it I'll need to take it off and put on XP because our work
computers run with XP and we do a lot of work on reports and presentations
from home and network from home. Any help would be much appreciated. I
can't find the New Partition Wizard to make a space for XP.
HorseBum

RE: Windows Vista & XP Multi Boot System
In Disk Management I have four volumes with one being for recovery, the
second for boot, crash dump, system, etc. and the other two don't have a
title and their file system isn't notated. When I right click on the last
two volumes the only thing I can do is delete them and not use them for XP.
Would shrinking the C drive be a viable solution to free up unallocated space
for XP?

"HorseBum" wrote:

> I bought a new laptop with Vista already installed on it. I want to install
> XP in a multi boot configuration but get stuck in Disk Management and am
> unable to proceed from there. I'd like to keep Vista on my laptop, but if it
> comes down to it I'll need to take it off and put on XP because our work
> computers run with XP and we do a lot of work on reports and presentations
> from home and network from home. Any help would be much appreciated. I
> can't find the New Partition Wizard to make a space for XP.

Mick Murphy

RE: Windows Vista & XP Multi Boot System
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Have a read of the step-by-step guide in the above link.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"HorseBum" wrote:

> I bought a new laptop with Vista already installed on it. I want to install
> XP in a multi boot configuration but get stuck in Disk Management and am
> unable to proceed from there. I'd like to keep Vista on my laptop, but if it
> comes down to it I'll need to take it off and put on XP because our work
> computers run with XP and we do a lot of work on reports and presentations
> from home and network from home. Any help would be much appreciated. I
> can't find the New Partition Wizard to make a space for XP.

HorseBum

RE: Windows Vista & XP Multi Boot System
I followed the step by step guide and at the end when I clicked to finish it
said there wasn't enough space on the disk to complete the task. Now I used
the default amount of space that came up when I went through the new volume
wizard. Any suggestions?

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp
>
> Have a read of the step-by-step guide in the above link.
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "HorseBum" wrote:
>
> > I bought a new laptop with Vista already installed on it. I want to install
> > XP in a multi boot configuration but get stuck in Disk Management and am
> > unable to proceed from there. I'd like to keep Vista on my laptop, but if it
> > comes down to it I'll need to take it off and put on XP because our work
> > computers run with XP and we do a lot of work on reports and presentations
> > from home and network from home. Any help would be much appreciated. I
> > can't find the New Partition Wizard to make a space for XP.

Ben_neB is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know you probably aren't looking for yet another link to read, but this is how I did it and it worked just fine:

TweakVista.com - How to: Dual boot XP and Vista

I just did the "Shrink Volume" option little by little until I had 30 gigs freed up, and then installed XP like you usually do, onto that new partition. I think in between those steps, I had to make the free space a "Simple Volume" though. But it's been a while since I did all that, so I can't be of much more help.
Andy

Re: Windows Vista & XP Multi Boot System
You mentioned that four volumes already exist, which means you won't
be able to create any more partitions. You can have only four
partitions on a disk: four primaries, or three primaries plus one
extended.

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 14:11:01 -0700, HorseBum