Vista Ultimate 32-bit + 64-bit Definitive Answer, Please

Nightowl

Vista Ultimate 32-bit + 64-bit Definitive Answer, Please
I've just bought a Dell PC that came with Vista Home Premium 32-bit
pre-installed, and I want to change to Vista Ultimate 64-bit using the
retail upgrade from PC World in the UK.

Can someone please tell me if a) it can be done, and b) how to do it!

I've tried to boot from the 64-bit disk but the option to upgrade is not
available (i.e. greyed out) saying I need to run the upgrade from Windows.
When I try to that, I'm told Vista 32-bit cannot run a 64-bit setup program.
Should I opt for a fresh install? I think I did try that, but it wouldn't
do so over the existing 32-bit OS.

This sort of leaves me stuck, unless someone knows better...?

Thank you,

Pete

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista Ultimate 32-bit + 64-bit Definitive Answer, Please
Is the Dell Pc you have 64 bit? If it isn't then you won't be able to run
the 64 bit software. You can't run 64 bit software on a 32 bit machine,
hence windows saying 'Vista 32-bit cannot run a 64-bit setup program'

For 64 bit operating system you need a PC that has 64 bit hardware
architecture

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Nightowl" <newsgroups@slinky-computing.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've just bought a Dell PC that came with Vista Home Premium 32-bit
> pre-installed, and I want to change to Vista Ultimate 64-bit using the
> retail upgrade from PC World in the UK.
>
> Can someone please tell me if a) it can be done, and b) how to do it!
>
> I've tried to boot from the 64-bit disk but the option to upgrade is not
> available (i.e. greyed out) saying I need to run the upgrade from Windows.
> When I try to that, I'm told Vista 32-bit cannot run a 64-bit setup
> program. Should I opt for a fresh install? I think I did try that, but it
> wouldn't do so over the existing 32-bit OS.
>
> This sort of leaves me stuck, unless someone knows better...?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Pete

Robert Moir

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> Is the Dell Pc you have 64 bit? If it isn't then you won't be able to run
> the 64 bit software. You can't run 64 bit software on a 32 bit machine,
> hence windows saying 'Vista 32-bit cannot run a 64-bit setup program'
>
> For 64 bit operating system you need a PC that has 64 bit hardware
> architecture

He certainly does need 64 bit hardware to run 64 bit programs, but that
isn't the issue here. The error message simply says what it means and means
what it says: You cannot run 64 bit programs on a 32 bit OS.

Nightowl, assuming you're sure you have 64 bit hardware as John notes,
you'll need to do a clean install, which is a bit of a pain in the hoop with
upgrade media, as you've discovered. You cannot upgrade from 32bit OSes to
64bit OSes.

Try the trick on the link I'm about to give you, and do let us know how you
get on!
http://www.infopackets.com/channels/...revious_os.htm

--
Robert Moir
http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com

John Barnes

Re: Vista Ultimate 32-bit + 64-bit Definitive Answer, Please
You must do a custom install. There is no in place upgrade between 32 and
64 bit.

"Nightowl" <newsgroups@slinky-computing.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've just bought a Dell PC that came with Vista Home Premium 32-bit
> pre-installed, and I want to change to Vista Ultimate 64-bit using the
> retail upgrade from PC World in the UK.
>
> Can someone please tell me if a) it can be done, and b) how to do it!
>
> I've tried to boot from the 64-bit disk but the option to upgrade is not
> available (i.e. greyed out) saying I need to run the upgrade from Windows.
> When I try to that, I'm told Vista 32-bit cannot run a 64-bit setup
> program. Should I opt for a fresh install? I think I did try that, but it
> wouldn't do so over the existing 32-bit OS.
>
> This sort of leaves me stuck, unless someone knows better...?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Pete

Nightowl

Re: Vista Ultimate 32-bit + 64-bit Definitive Answer, Please
My understanding is I do have 64-bit architecture in my PC, but perhaps some
clarification would help:

Intel Viiv Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
3070Mb RAM DDR2 - although I actually have 4x1Gb modules installed

I appreciate I would need 64-bit hardware drivers for the video (nVidia) and
sound cards (Soundblaster X-Fi) and the peripherals, but I've already
downloaded these from the respective hardware vendors sites.

Thanks,

Pete

> My understanding is I do have 64-bit architecture in my PC, but perhaps
> some clarification would help:
>
> Intel Viiv Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
> 3070Mb RAM DDR2 - although I actually have 4x1Gb modules installed
>
> I appreciate I would need 64-bit hardware drivers for the video (nVidia)
> and sound cards (Soundblaster X-Fi) and the peripherals, but I've already
> downloaded these from the respective hardware vendors sites.

Sounds like you're good to go. The Core2Duo 6400 is indeed a 64bit part.
There's one in the machine I'm using right now that I've used in that way.

Check for drivers for devices on your motherboard too, the stuff you might
take for granted. e.g. network card drivers, RAID drivers for the disks, if
you use RAID, that kind of thing. It shouldn't be an issue with a
motherboard that can take a core2, but it's much better to spend 5 mins
checking now and find out that all is well than it would be to waste hours
trying to get 64 bit windows to work and find out you're let down by an
obscure driver for an obscure motherboard component.

Proshooter

Re: Vista Ultimate 32-bit + 64-bit Definitive Answer, Please

You cannot "upgrade" to x64 from an existing x32 system. It requires a
clean install. You should backup all data files on the original system
and be prepared to reformat the drive.

--
Proshooter

Proshooter

Dell670 E7525 Dual-Xeon3.4 Vista Ultimate x64
4GbRAM 256Radeon1300x Dual-ViewsonicVP201b
Maxtor300GB 7200 Maxtor250GBx4 1TB RAID/0
RocketRaid1640 CreativeSBAudigy2
Dell/LG HL-DT-ST GWA4164B 8xDVD▒R DL

Photoshop/Premiere Editing Workstation
Proshooter's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1291
View this thread: http://www.vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47455

Nightowl

Re: Vista Ultimate 32-bit + 64-bit Definitive Answer, Please
Hi Proshooter,

I understand the need for a fresh install, but as the version I've got is
Vista Ultimate Upgrade with both 32 and 64-bit disks, I was wondering if it
was simply a case of changing the 32-bit partition by using the 64-bit disk.

Would this work?

Pete

"Proshooter" <Proshooter.2nckkl@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> You cannot "upgrade" to x64 from an existing x32 system. It requires a
> clean install. You should backup all data files on the original system
> and be prepared to reformat the drive.
>

> --
> Proshooter
>
> Proshooter
>
> Dell670 E7525 Dual-Xeon3.4 Vista Ultimate x64
> 4GbRAM 256Radeon1300x Dual-ViewsonicVP201b
> Maxtor300GB 7200 Maxtor250GBx4 1TB RAID/0
> RocketRaid1640 CreativeSBAudigy2
> Dell/LG HL-DT-ST GWA4164B 8xDVD▒R DL
>
> Photoshop/Premiere Editing Workstation
> Proshooter's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1291
> View this thread: http://www.vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47455

Nightowl

Re: Vista Ultimate 32-bit + 64-bit Definitive Answer, Please
Thanks, Robert, your advice is sound and I will certainly take it!

> "Nightowl" <newsgroups@slinky-computing.co.uk> wrote in message
>> My understanding is I do have 64-bit architecture in my PC, but perhaps
>> some clarification would help:
>>
>> Intel Viiv Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
>> 3070Mb RAM DDR2 - although I actually have 4x1Gb modules installed
>>
>> I appreciate I would need 64-bit hardware drivers for the video (nVidia)
>> and sound cards (Soundblaster X-Fi) and the peripherals, but I've already
>> downloaded these from the respective hardware vendors sites.

> Sounds like you're good to go. The Core2Duo 6400 is indeed a 64bit part.
> There's one in the machine I'm using right now that I've used in that way.
>
> Check for drivers for devices on your motherboard too, the stuff you might
> take for granted. e.g. network card drivers, RAID drivers for the disks,
> if you use RAID, that kind of thing. It shouldn't be an issue with a
> motherboard that can take a core2, but it's much better to spend 5 mins
> checking now and find out that all is well than it would be to waste hours
> trying to get 64 bit windows to work and find out you're let down by an
> obscure driver for an obscure motherboard component.

Squibbly

Re: Vista Ultimate 32-bit + 64-bit Definitive Answer, Please
im sure its because it was installed using the OEM version orginally and
this is why the upgrade was greyed out