problem starting Windows Anytime Upgrade

mikeyz66

problem starting Windows Anytime Upgrade
Hi,

I have a brand new Sony desktop machine that came preloaded with Vista Home
Premium (it's activated also). I clicked the Windows anytime upgrade icon and
purchased an online upgrade that consisted of a email with a link to a
digital license (not a product key) and a upgrade disc they ship. The disc
took over a month to arrive and in the meantime, the digital license was
transferred to an online digital locker in what's called the Windows
marketplace. The license may contain a product key..not really sure..but that
is how it was provided.

SO..the disc finally showed up today and I proceeded to login into the
digital locker and click the vista install link which is also the only item
there. Seems okay at this point and a small window pops up on the screen that
I'm starting the vista upgrade process and to click next...at that point it
asks me to insert the upgrade disc which I do and then it appears to still be
waiting for the CD as if I haven't inserted it into the drive...nothing
happens at all and there's no next button to click or anything to proceed.

A window does open almost immediately which is basically what I call Windows
Explorer...basically a file manager in Vista...not sure what vista calls
this...I see my C drive, etc..and the F drive which is the CD and is selected
and I can see a readme file on the disc..if i open it ..says something like
the disc contains UDF file and you need a system that can...blah blah...I
dont' see any other files on the disk but not sure that's an issue...if I
click properties for the CD, it appears to be approx 2.5 GB in size since
that must be the data/program needed for the upgrade. there's no error
message or any activity at all...nothing happens one way or the other

The CD/DVD drive has been perfectly fine and i can read /play any other type
of disc in the drive with no issues whatsoever...is it possible the disc is
bad in terms of the data even though I can open it in explorer and see and
open a readme file on it ?

I purchased this upgrade on 2/18/08 and it appears that 2 days later,
Microsoft changed the way this process would be handled but would honor all
the digital licenses prior to 2/20/08

Really got the runaround today with the anytime upgrade support that
directed me to Microsoft support..they either wanted $59 to help me and/or
demanded the product key (again..it's a digital license) and didn't seem to
have a clue about the digital license...they were very difficult and
basically doubted what i was saying.

I finally did get to a phone number that could help me but they needed to
conference in a MS tech person and since I was talking to them around 8:30 PM
EST when they close, they basically couldn't help me and wanted to call me
back during the day on Monday to help me...I work..as most people do..not
going to be sitting home waiting in the morning while somebody calls back
from the west coast..etc..really ridiculous and no weekend support hours
either...just baffled that this process is not more seamless...it appears
this process might have been supported or outsoured previously to a company
called arvato..they seem to have the limited hours and which is why they
don't seem to have support people to directly speak to.

At one point..one of the MS customer reps was directing me back to Sony ( my
pc manufacturer)..what could they possibly have to do with a windows anytime
upgrade that i didn't purchase from them ?? I have had zero issues with this
PC since i purchased...
mikeyz66

RE: problem starting Windows Anytime Upgrade
I wanted to add that I clicked on the license in the digital locker and chose
to save the file locally to my desktop instead of just clicking it to launch
the process...same result in either case.

When i click it with the right mouse button and choose to save to target,
it's definitely aware it's a license file and it appears on my desktop with a
yellow sqaure with a large key on it.

"mikeyz66" wrote:

> [...]
> back during the day on Monday to help me...I work..as most people do..not
> going to be sitting home waiting in the morning while somebody calls back
> from the west coast..etc..really ridiculous and no weekend support hours
> either...just baffled that this process is not more seamless...it appears
> this process might have been supported or outsoured previously to a company
> called arvato..they seem to have the limited hours and which is why they
> don't seem to have support people to directly speak to.
>
> At one point..one of the MS customer reps was directing me back to Sony ( my
> pc manufacturer)..what could they possibly have to do with a windows anytime
> upgrade that i didn't purchase from them ?? I have had zero issues with this
> PC since i purchased...

mikeyz66

RE: problem starting Windows Anytime Upgrade
Still having issues..but made some slight progress. Since I hadn't rebooted
during my inability to really get the upgrade going, I decided to reboot and
launch the digital license I had previously copied locally. That seemed to do
the trick and at least the upgrade started. however after I get to some
initial processes and I get to a screen where it informs me it's all the
information they need, my computer will restart several times during the
upgrade and it might take several hours to complete.

However, it starts copying files and gets to 15% and just sits and sits...I
decided to wait and eventually I get an error which states: windows cannto
copy files required for installation. Make sure all files required for
installation are available and restart the installation. Error code:
0x8007045D.

I get the same problem whether I opt as recommended to download any
installation updates earlier in the install process or decide to bypass that
step.

So...I'm stuck again...any ideas ?