will not shutdown/start Up

Heath

will not shutdown/start Up
my dell Dimoension 9200C will not shut down. I am running vista home premium.
the circle will stop rotating and the computer freezes. I shut down with the
tower power button then it takes forever for me to restart. Several attempts
(+50) and then finally I get into windows safe then it takes several more
attempts. System restore will not work cause it won t shut down. So i tried
to reinstall but that wont work cause the PC freezes. I want to write the
drive clean and start over. Will that solve these issues.
Malke

Re: will not shutdown/start Up
Heath wrote:

> my dell Dimoension 9200C will not shut down. I am running vista home
> premium. the circle will stop rotating and the computer freezes. I shut
> down with the tower power button then it takes forever for me to restart.
> Several attempts
> (+50) and then finally I get into windows safe then it takes several
> more attempts. System restore will not work cause it won t shut down. So i
> tried to reinstall but that wont work cause the PC freezes. I want to
> write the drive clean and start over. Will that solve these issues.

I don't think reinstalling Windows will solve the issue because that is a
software solution and your problems certainly sound like they are caused by
failing hardware.

If the computer is new and under warranty, it's time to contact Dell tech
support for repair/replacement. Otherwise, here are general hardware
troubleshooting steps:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

Standard disclaimer: I can't see and test your computer myself, so these are
just suggestions based on many years of being a professional computer tech;
suggestions based on what you've written. You should not take my
suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. Testing hardware failures often
involves swapping out suspected parts with known-good parts. If you can't
do the testing yourself and/or are uncomfortable opening your computer,
take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local
equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). If possible, have all your data
backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers