concern about H-P tech advice about Vista

terrypcarter

concern about H-P tech advice about Vista

Unless someone can talk me off this ledge, I'm going to jump. I can no
longer take the multiple blue screen crash dumps. I have 32-bit Vista
Home Premium on an HP Pavilion.
After seeing those internal emails among Microsoft's top executives
that were released in a lawsuit a couple of weeks ago -- they were
complaining to each other about the same problems on their home
computers with peripherals and drivers that I've been having -- I called
HP tech this morning and said I want to install XP Professional and that
I have a licensed copy on disk.

The HP tech guy, based in Oregon rather than India for a change, said
all I had to do was copy the files I want to keep onto my external hard
drive and then put the XP disk in the machine and it will direct me to
format the hard drive.....and then install.

I recall reading somewhere that the chipsets or something in the guts
of this machine -- I'm not a techie -- are designed for Vista and will
not accept XP without some serious tinkering at the motherboard/chipset
neurosurgery level.

Anyone here have any advice or suggestions before I jump, perhaps
without bungy cord?

--
terrypcarter
Mike Brannigan

Re: concern about H-P tech advice about Vista
"terrypcarter" <terrypcarter.367u13@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Unless someone can talk me off this ledge, I'm going to jump. I can no
> longer take the multiple blue screen crash dumps. I have 32-bit Vista
> Home Premium on an HP Pavilion.
> After seeing those internal emails among Microsoft's top executives
> that were released in a lawsuit a couple of weeks ago -- they were
> complaining to each other about the same problems on their home
> computers with peripherals and drivers that I've been having -- I called
> HP tech this morning and said I want to install XP Professional and that
> I have a licensed copy on disk.
>
> The HP tech guy, based in Oregon rather than India for a change, said
> all I had to do was copy the files I want to keep onto my external hard
> drive and then put the XP disk in the machine and it will direct me to
> format the hard drive.....and then install.
>
> I recall reading somewhere that the chipsets or something in the guts
> of this machine -- I'm not a techie -- are designed for Vista and will
> not accept XP without some serious tinkering at the motherboard/chipset
> neurosurgery level.
>
> Anyone here have any advice or suggestions before I jump, perhaps
> without bungy cord?
>

> --
> terrypcarter

Just make sure you get all the latest XP drivers for you machine from the HP
web site , as depending on if the hard drive is a SATA drive you may need a
driver to be able to access it. Drivers for hard drives are loaded during
XP set from floppy (have you got one of those?)
You may be able to set your SAT controller to act as an IDE controller to
bypass the need for drivers during setup - you will need to see your BIOS
manual for this (if available at all).
Beyond that you should be able to install and then apply the required
drivers for everything else (graphics card, NIC, sound etc) post install.
Do remember that by installing XP you will no longer be able to use HP
support as you will have replaced the OEM operating system.

--

Mike Brannigan

Malke

terrypcarter wrote:

> Unless someone can talk me off this ledge, I'm going to jump. I can no
> longer take the multiple blue screen crash dumps. I have 32-bit Vista
> Home Premium on an HP Pavilion.
> After seeing those internal emails among Microsoft's top executives
> that were released in a lawsuit a couple of weeks ago -- they were
> complaining to each other about the same problems on their home
> computers with peripherals and drivers that I've been having -- I called
> HP tech this morning and said I want to install XP Professional and that
> I have a licensed copy on disk.
>
> The HP tech guy, based in Oregon rather than India for a change, said
> all I had to do was copy the files I want to keep onto my external hard
> drive and then put the XP disk in the machine and it will direct me to
> format the hard drive.....and then install.
>
> I recall reading somewhere that the chipsets or something in the guts
> of this machine -- I'm not a techie -- are designed for Vista and will
> not accept XP without some serious tinkering at the motherboard/chipset
> neurosurgery level.
>
> Anyone here have any advice or suggestions before I jump, perhaps
> without bungy cord?

General information about replacing Vista with XP:

On an OEM (HP, Sony, etc.) computer:

1. Go to the OEM's website and look for XP drivers for your specific model
computer. If there are no XP drivers, then you can't install XP. End of
story. If there are drivers, download them and store on a CD-R or USB
thumbdrive; you'll need them after you install XP.

2. Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by calling
them - to see if you will void your warranty if you do this. If you will
void the warranty, you make the decision.

3. If the OEM does support XP on the machine, call them and see if you can
have downgrade rights and have them send you an XP restore disk. This will
be far the easiest and best way of getting XP on the machine.

4. If XP is supported on the machine but the OEM doesn't have an XP restore
disk for you, understand that you'll need to purchase a retail copy of XP
from your favorite online or brick/mortar store.

5. Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if you
have any data you want, back it up first.

6. If none of the above is applicable to you because you can't run XP on
that machine (see Item #1 above), return the computer and purchase one
running XP instead.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...alling_Windows - What
you will need on-hand

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Juan Perez

Re: concern about H-P tech advice about Vista
Hi Terry:

I have a HP Pavillion 2699EA. I live in Ireland. My Pavillion comes with Win
Vista and I decided to install windows XP. The HP Pavillion 2699EA, comes
with a SATA as the hard disk drive controller. When Win Xp was introduced in
2001, there was not a SATA standard, that was introduced in 2003. (not sure
about the dates).

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ie/en...-80632671.html

Windows XP is able to detect the PATA standards. That means that you need to
locate the windows XP drives for SATA for your computer.

Them you hav two ways:

One is to create a CD using the software http://www.nliteos.com/ , check the
tutorials, includes the SATA drivers for your pavillion. You will need some
tries and a CD-RW media.

Two, the one I used 8-). I got from Ebay an external USB Floppy disk drive.
Basically when you boot your cd of windows XP you press, in a given moment,
F6, and use the drivers that previously you have copied to a floppy disk. In
this case you could wipe off all the Win vista installation.

In my case, I used previously a software,
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing.../diskdirector/ , to resize and
create a new partition, were I installed windows XP. I have what is called a
Dual Boot.

Later, you have to go to the HP pavillion web side and download all the
drivers, for your web camera, sound, netwaork card, althought I remenber
that win XP was able to detect almost all the perfericals. I jyst have
pending the finger reader.

Let us know if this help you.

--
Un saludo
Juan Perez

"terrypcarter" <terrypcarter.367u13@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Unless someone can talk me off this ledge, I'm going to jump. I can no
> longer take the multiple blue screen crash dumps. I have 32-bit Vista
> Home Premium on an HP Pavilion.
> After seeing those internal emails among Microsoft's top executives
> that were released in a lawsuit a couple of weeks ago -- they were
> complaining to each other about the same problems on their home
> computers with peripherals and drivers that I've been having -- I called
> HP tech this morning and said I want to install XP Professional and that
> I have a licensed copy on disk.
>
> The HP tech guy, based in Oregon rather than India for a change, said
> all I had to do was copy the files I want to keep onto my external hard
> drive and then put the XP disk in the machine and it will direct me to
> format the hard drive.....and then install.
>
> I recall reading somewhere that the chipsets or something in the guts
> of this machine -- I'm not a techie -- are designed for Vista and will
> not accept XP without some serious tinkering at the motherboard/chipset
> neurosurgery level.
>
> Anyone here have any advice or suggestions before I jump, perhaps
> without bungy cord?
>

> --
> terrypcarter

andy

Re: concern about H-P tech advice about Vista
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:41:52 -0500, terrypcarter
<terrypcarter.367u13@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>Unless someone can talk me off this ledge, I'm going to jump. I can no
>longer take the multiple blue screen crash dumps. I have 32-bit Vista
>Home Premium on an HP Pavilion.
>After seeing those internal emails among Microsoft's top executives
>that were released in a lawsuit a couple of weeks ago -- they were
>complaining to each other about the same problems on their home
>computers with peripherals and drivers that I've been having -- I called
>HP tech this morning and said I want to install XP Professional and that
>I have a licensed copy on disk.
>
>The HP tech guy, based in Oregon rather than India for a change, said
>all I had to do was copy the files I want to keep onto my external hard
>drive and then put the XP disk in the machine and it will direct me to
>format the hard drive.....and then install.
>
>I recall reading somewhere that the chipsets or something in the guts
>of this machine -- I'm not a techie -- are designed for Vista and will
>not accept XP without some serious tinkering at the motherboard/chipset
>neurosurgery level.
>
>Anyone here have any advice or suggestions before I jump, perhaps
>without bungy cord?

Download Belarc Advisor, run it, and make a list of the devices
(chipset, lan, sound, video, et al) in the computer.
Go to the websites of the manufacturers of the devices, download the
Windows XP drivers, and save them to a USB flash drive.
You are now in a position to install Windows XP.
Alain

RE: concern about H-P tech advice about Vista
try to put in the BIOS the SATA in legacy mode. It's helpful if you don't
know exactly the right driver you need for installing XP

--
MCSE + MCSA Messaging

"terrypcarter" wrote:

> Unless someone can talk me off this ledge, I'm going to jump. I can no
> longer take the multiple blue screen crash dumps. I have 32-bit Vista
> Home Premium on an HP Pavilion.
> After seeing those internal emails among Microsoft's top executives
> that were released in a lawsuit a couple of weeks ago -- they were
> complaining to each other about the same problems on their home
> computers with peripherals and drivers that I've been having -- I called
> HP tech this morning and said I want to install XP Professional and that
> I have a licensed copy on disk.
>
> The HP tech guy, based in Oregon rather than India for a change, said
> all I had to do was copy the files I want to keep onto my external hard
> drive and then put the XP disk in the machine and it will direct me to
> format the hard drive.....and then install.
>
> I recall reading somewhere that the chipsets or something in the guts
> of this machine -- I'm not a techie -- are designed for Vista and will
> not accept XP without some serious tinkering at the motherboard/chipset
> neurosurgery level.
>
> Anyone here have any advice or suggestions before I jump, perhaps
> without bungy cord?
>

> --
> terrypcarter

terrypcarter

Re: concern about H-P tech advice about Vista

This looks like a lot of helpful stuff but I've got to be very careful
because I don't know an IDE from a brIDE. I'm pretty good at following
step by step instructions, though I have to say I'm very unhappy at
being put in the position (by Microsoft) of taking so many chances. I
did, btw, tell the HP tech guy this morning -- who said to simply save
the files I want to keep on an external drive, which I have, and proceed
with installation of XP with a format drive request checked off early on
in the process -- that I wanted him to put in my case file what we just
discussed and what he just told me to go ahead and do. He said he did.
That was to cover my.....warranty.

I have a question about this advice posted here for me:
[...]

I want to proceed as simply as possible. I have a hunch that HP's web
site is not going to offer the latest XP drivers for this machine that
now is designed for and sold with VISTA.
Is it possible for me to just backup files elsewhere and then just
insert XP disk and install. Or is there one more step necessary first,
the thing about having to do something first about the SATA drive? (And
I don't know SATA from SATAn, but years ago I rebuilt a car engine with
a step-by-step manual so I'd hope to be able to do this.)

If would be great if that could take care of it and then, using XP once
it's installed, go forth and find all the other drivers I need, one by
one.

--
terrypcarter
Pete Stavrakoglou

> General information about replacing Vista with XP:
>
> On an OEM (HP, Sony, etc.) computer:
>
> 1. Go to the OEM's website and look for XP drivers for your specific model
> computer. If there are no XP drivers, then you can't install XP. End of
> story. If there are drivers, download them and store on a CD-R or USB
> thumbdrive; you'll need them after you install XP.
>
> 2. Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by
> calling
> them - to see if you will void your warranty if you do this. If you will
> void the warranty, you make the decision.
>
> 3. If the OEM does support XP on the machine, call them and see if you can
> have downgrade rights and have them send you an XP restore disk. This will
> be far the easiest and best way of getting XP on the machine.
>
> 4. If XP is supported on the machine but the OEM doesn't have an XP
> restore
> disk for you, understand that you'll need to purchase a retail copy of XP
> from your favorite online or brick/mortar store.
>
> 5. Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if
> you
> have any data you want, back it up first.
>
> 6. If none of the above is applicable to you because you can't run XP on
> that machine (see Item #1 above), return the computer and purchase one
> running XP instead.

I downgraded an HP Pavilion to XP. I contacted HP via their online chat,
the rep provided links for drivers. The only problem was the SATA drive
which the XP disk has no driver for. I couldn't find a driver on Asus's
website (the Pavilion has an Asus motherboard). I contacted HP again and
found that all I had to do was to change the disk controller setting in the
BIOS from "Raid" to "IDE". The XP install was then able to see the SATA
drive, there was no need to install any SATA drivers.

Malke

Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:
I downgraded an HP Pavilion to XP. I contacted HP via their online chat,
> the rep provided links for drivers. The only problem was the SATA drive
> which the XP disk has no driver for. I couldn't find a driver on Asus's
> website (the Pavilion has an Asus motherboard). I contacted HP again and
> found that all I had to do was to change the disk controller setting in
> the
> BIOS from "Raid" to "IDE". The XP install was then able to see the SATA
> drive, there was no need to install any SATA drivers.

Thank you very much for sharing this. I'm sure it will help lots of people.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

terrypcarter wrote:

> This looks like a lot of helpful stuff but I've got to be very careful
> because I don't know an IDE from a brIDE. I'm pretty good at following
> step by step instructions, though I have to say I'm very unhappy at
> being put in the position (by Microsoft) of taking so many chances. I
> did, btw, tell the HP tech guy this morning -- who said to simply save
> the files I want to keep on an external drive, which I have, and proceed
> with installation of XP with a format drive request checked off early on
> in the process -- that I wanted him to put in my case file what we just
> discussed and what he just told me to go ahead and do. He said he did.
> That was to cover my.....warranty.

(snippage)

> I want to proceed as simply as possible. I have a hunch that HP's web
> site is not going to offer the latest XP drivers for this machine that
> now is designed for and sold with VISTA.
> Is it possible for me to just backup files elsewhere and then just
> insert XP disk and install. Or is there one more step necessary first,
> the thing about having to do something first about the SATA drive? (And
> I don't know SATA from SATAn, but years ago I rebuilt a car engine with
> a step-by-step manual so I'd hope to be able to do this.)
>
> If would be great if that could take care of it and then, using XP once
> it's installed, go forth and find all the other drivers I need, one by
> one.

It's admirable and amazing that you rebuilt a car engine (I certainly
couldn't do that) but operating systems are a little different in that you
don't necessarily have everything you need when you start out. Every piece
of hardware needs a piece of software - called a "driver" - that tells the
operating system (Windows XP or Vista in your case) how to use the
hardware. Without the drivers, the hardware will not work under that
particular operating system.

Windows XP and Windows Vista come with many built-in drivers (which were
provided to Microsoft by the hardware mftrs., not written by Microsoft).
Vista has many more built-in drivers than XP did. This doesn't mean that XP
will have drivers for your hardware, much of which hardware will have been
made specifically for HP (long after XP came out) and thus be proprietary
with drivers only available from HP. That is the reason you don't want to
be blindly hopeful and unprepared. Take the time to check and not just go
on a "hunch". You may be pleasantly surprised. Or not. But why be surprised
at all?

XP was written before SATA drives became commonly available. Therefore you
will need the SATA drivers (drivers for the controller on the motherboard
that will let XP "see" the SATA hard drives) on a floppy drive ahead of
time. Very early in the XP installation, you'll press F6 to load additional
drivers and the controller drivers are what are wanted. You may be able to
get around this the way the other poster did - by changing the SATA drives
to IDE in the BIOS.

XP may pick up all your other hardware during the install and you'll be
fine, or it may not. The only way to find out is to try. Or return your
computer for one running XP now before it's too late (end of June, I
believe).

Malke
--
MS-MVP