Vista SP1 dead after power fail?

Tmcmulli

Vista SP1 dead after power fail?
I had a power failure today, and was completely pleased with Vista SP1, about
to write a favorable review over the previous Ubuntu install that was on this
machine until the power went out. Now it's a brick. Restore doesn't work,
and I'll have to reinstall everything...why build restore points and backups
if they don't work?

All I got was chkdsk autorunning and a blank screen... total BS.

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista SP1 dead after power fail?
Did you try going into Safe Mode to do it?
Power failure can also fry a motherboard.
A lot of thing could have been stuffed by the power failure; even your god
Ubuntu!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Tmcmulli" wrote:

> I had a power failure today, and was completely pleased with Vista SP1, about
> to write a favorable review over the previous Ubuntu install that was on this
> machine until the power went out. Now it's a brick. Restore doesn't work,
> and I'll have to reinstall everything...why build restore points and backups
> if they don't work?
>
> All I got was chkdsk autorunning and a blank screen... total BS.

John Barnes

Re: Vista SP1 dead after power fail?
If you made a backup, restore it from your install DVD. Blaming your os
because of a hardware problem is a little puerile. Get a UPS like most of
us who live in areas with power failures. Get on that cleans the and
stabilises the power.

"Tmcmulli" <Tmcmulli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had a power failure today, and was completely pleased with Vista SP1,
>about
> to write a favorable review over the previous Ubuntu install that was on
> this
> machine until the power went out. Now it's a brick. Restore doesn't
> work,
> and I'll have to reinstall everything...why build restore points and
> backups
> if they don't work?
>
> All I got was chkdsk autorunning and a blank screen... total BS.

Tmcmulli

Re: Vista SP1 dead after power fail?
Sorry guys, hardware is fine, and yes, I know I need a UPS. No, restore from
DVD/backup location, etc., etc., etc. did not work. Only a reinstall, got
the machine back. By the way, I'm sick of the MS zealots blaming hardware
for OS deficiencies. All my non UPS XP Pro machines came back fine. It's a
Vista deficiency. I didn't proclaim Linux as the best, simly "better" in
this one situation.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> If you made a backup, restore it from your install DVD. Blaming your os
> because of a hardware problem is a little puerile. Get a UPS like most of
> us who live in areas with power failures. Get on that cleans the and
> stabilises the power.
>

> "Tmcmulli" <Tmcmulli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had a power failure today, and was completely pleased with Vista SP1,
> >about
> > to write a favorable review over the previous Ubuntu install that was on
> > this
> > machine until the power went out. Now it's a brick. Restore doesn't
> > work,
> > and I'll have to reinstall everything...why build restore points and
> > backups
> > if they don't work?
> >
> > All I got was chkdsk autorunning and a blank screen... total BS.

Mike Hall - MVP

> Sorry guys, hardware is fine, and yes, I know I need a UPS. No, restore
> from
> DVD/backup location, etc., etc., etc. did not work. Only a reinstall, got
> the machine back. By the way, I'm sick of the MS zealots blaming hardware
> for OS deficiencies. All my non UPS XP Pro machines came back fine. It's
> Vista deficiency. I didn't proclaim Linux as the best, simly "better" in
> this one situation.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> If you made a backup, restore it from your install DVD. Blaming your os
>> because of a hardware problem is a little puerile. Get a UPS like most
>> of
>> us who live in areas with power failures. Get on that cleans the and
>> stabilises the power.
>>

>> "Tmcmulli" <Tmcmulli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I had a power failure today, and was completely pleased with Vista SP1,
>> >about
>> > to write a favorable review over the previous Ubuntu install that was
>> > on
>> > this
>> > machine until the power went out. Now it's a brick. Restore doesn't
>> > work,
>> > and I'll have to reinstall everything...why build restore points and
>> > backups
>> > if they don't work?
>> >
>> > All I got was chkdsk autorunning and a blank screen... total BS.

I have suffered three power failures and Vista came back each time, so it is
not a universal problem. Must be your stuff..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

John Barnes

Re: Vista SP1 dead after power fail?
Hardware problems aren't always permanent. You probably had a write error
on shutdown that caused the problem. As Mike says most have no problems
coming back after a shut down. Vista wise it would be no different than
holding the power button to shut down.