Vista software RAID0 fails to initialize after reboot if > 2TB

AlexVas

Vista software RAID0 fails to initialize after reboot if > 2TB
Help!

I've looked over whole internet, and I am very surprised to be unable to
find any answers to this.

I am setting up Windows Dynamic Striped (RAID0) or Spanned volume (GPT) over
four SATA hard drives 1Tb each. Everything is successful. I format the drive,
copy stuff on to it, read it back, its fast, very nice. Then I reboot. After
boot up I foind out that my D: drive is gone, i.e., volume is offline (as
reported by Disk Manager). I can boot as I am using separate (IDE or SATA)
hard drive to boot the Vista from.

Now, if I configure the striped volume to be less then 2Tb (e.g., stripe two
1Tb disks or four x 500Mb partition each), everything works fine. I reboot
and the volume is still there running happily.

No windows event log I can find corresponds to this problem.

The configuration is:

Gigabyte motherboard on Intel P35 chipset (another box has X38)
Vista 64bit
c: 1x HD (IDE 800Gb in one box, SATA 320Gb in another) to boot from.
d: 4x 1Tb SATA HD (I've tried IDE emulation, AHCI and Intel Matrix RAID -
h/w raid disabled)
z: IDE DVDROM

Is there anybody has the same problem?

Thanks,
Alex
DL

Re: Vista software RAID0 fails to initialize after reboot if > 2TB
IMO I would'nt touch software raid with a bargepole, not that it helps you,
I realise

"AlexVas" <AlexVas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help!
>
> I've looked over whole internet, and I am very surprised to be unable to
> find any answers to this.
>
> I am setting up Windows Dynamic Striped (RAID0) or Spanned volume (GPT)
> over
> four SATA hard drives 1Tb each. Everything is successful. I format the
> drive,
> copy stuff on to it, read it back, its fast, very nice. Then I reboot.
> After
> boot up I foind out that my D: drive is gone, i.e., volume is offline (as
> reported by Disk Manager). I can boot as I am using separate (IDE or SATA)
> hard drive to boot the Vista from.
>
> Now, if I configure the striped volume to be less then 2Tb (e.g., stripe
> two
> 1Tb disks or four x 500Mb partition each), everything works fine. I reboot
> and the volume is still there running happily.
>
> No windows event log I can find corresponds to this problem.
>
> The configuration is:
>
> Gigabyte motherboard on Intel P35 chipset (another box has X38)
> Vista 64bit
> c: 1x HD (IDE 800Gb in one box, SATA 320Gb in another) to boot from.
> d: 4x 1Tb SATA HD (I've tried IDE emulation, AHCI and Intel Matrix RAID -
> h/w raid disabled)
> z: IDE DVDROM
>
> Is there anybody has the same problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

AlexVas

RE: Vista software RAID0 fails to initialize after reboot if > 2TB
Finally, I've installed Vista SP1 and it fixed the problem! So it was windows
bug after all.

"AlexVas" wrote:

> Help!
>
> I've looked over whole internet, and I am very surprised to be unable to
> find any answers to this.
>
> I am setting up Windows Dynamic Striped (RAID0) or Spanned volume (GPT) over
> four SATA hard drives 1Tb each. Everything is successful. I format the drive,
> copy stuff on to it, read it back, its fast, very nice. Then I reboot. After
> boot up I foind out that my D: drive is gone, i.e., volume is offline (as
> reported by Disk Manager). I can boot as I am using separate (IDE or SATA)
> hard drive to boot the Vista from.
>
> Now, if I configure the striped volume to be less then 2Tb (e.g., stripe two
> 1Tb disks or four x 500Mb partition each), everything works fine. I reboot
> and the volume is still there running happily.
>
> No windows event log I can find corresponds to this problem.
>
> The configuration is:
>
> Gigabyte motherboard on Intel P35 chipset (another box has X38)
> Vista 64bit
> c: 1x HD (IDE 800Gb in one box, SATA 320Gb in another) to boot from.
> d: 4x 1Tb SATA HD (I've tried IDE emulation, AHCI and Intel Matrix RAID -
> h/w raid disabled)
> z: IDE DVDROM
>
> Is there anybody has the same problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

DL

Re: Vista software RAID0 fails to initialize after reboot if > 2TB
Well glad its all sorted

> Finally, I've installed Vista SP1 and it fixed the problem! So it was
> windows
> bug after all.
>
> "AlexVas" wrote:
>
>> Help!
>>
>> I've looked over whole internet, and I am very surprised to be unable to
>> find any answers to this.
>>
>> I am setting up Windows Dynamic Striped (RAID0) or Spanned volume (GPT)
>> over
>> four SATA hard drives 1Tb each. Everything is successful. I format the
>> drive,
>> copy stuff on to it, read it back, its fast, very nice. Then I reboot.
>> After
>> boot up I foind out that my D: drive is gone, i.e., volume is offline (as
>> reported by Disk Manager). I can boot as I am using separate (IDE or
>> SATA)
>> hard drive to boot the Vista from.
>>
>> Now, if I configure the striped volume to be less then 2Tb (e.g., stripe
>> two
>> 1Tb disks or four x 500Mb partition each), everything works fine. I
>> reboot
>> and the volume is still there running happily.
>>
>> No windows event log I can find corresponds to this problem.
>>
>> The configuration is:
>>
>> Gigabyte motherboard on Intel P35 chipset (another box has X38)
>> Vista 64bit
>> c: 1x HD (IDE 800Gb in one box, SATA 320Gb in another) to boot from.
>> d: 4x 1Tb SATA HD (I've tried IDE emulation, AHCI and Intel Matrix RAID -
>> h/w raid disabled)
>> z: IDE DVDROM
>>
>> Is there anybody has the same problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex

AlexVas

Re: Vista software RAID0 fails to initialize after reboot if > 2TB
Yeah. But you were right, I need to get hardware raid... What should I look
for in the controller? I need speed. It's not video or other streaming, it is
pretty random type of access. Reliability is not important. Most of the
content is read only... about 4-6TB.

Another thing. I've got six computers reading the same data. Can it be
stored centrally, and then feeded into six boxes via fiber or something?

Thanks in advance,
Alex