A neophyte question

Casper

A neophyte question
I have win xp pro, and i want to get windows vista home premium. problem is i
cant upgrade xp pro to vista home premium. instead i have to install vindows
vista on the current win xp.

My question is, if i do this, will the hard drive then be formatted so i
lose all, movies, text, pictures and assorted files that is not placed in the
windows folder. Or is it only the win xp folder that gets deleted and
everything else remains on the harddrive?
Unfortunately i only have one hard drive, and win xp wont let me partition
it.
Dwarf

RE: A neophyte question
Hi Casper,

Upgrading Win XP Pro to Vista Home Premium is not an upgrade path, so
installing Vista HP would mean a clean-install. If you follow the
instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using Upgrade Media',
also in this newsgroup (dated 9/21/2007), you should be able to solve your
problem. Remember to back up all data to removeable media beforehand as this
process will format your hard disk. Applications can be reinstalled
afterwards and you can then reload your data from the backup.
Dwarf

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-5eb74dcf2be7

"Casper" wrote:

> I have win xp pro, and i want to get windows vista home premium. problem is i
> cant upgrade xp pro to vista home premium. instead i have to install vindows
> vista on the current win xp.
>
> My question is, if i do this, will the hard drive then be formatted so i
> lose all, movies, text, pictures and assorted files that is not placed in the
> windows folder. Or is it only the win xp folder that gets deleted and
> everything else remains on the harddrive?
> Unfortunately i only have one hard drive, and win xp wont let me partition
> it.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: A neophyte question
Only Windows Vista Ultimate or Business editions can
actually upgrade from an existing Windows XP Professional
installation. Windows Home Premium edition would require a
"clean install".

How to install Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Casper" <Casper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news45CE92C-2DBE-43D2-A089-26BC9E7B2CD4@microsoft.com...
I have win xp pro, and i want to get windows vista home premium. problem is i
cant upgrade xp pro to vista home premium. instead i have to install vindows
vista on the current win xp.

My question is, if i do this, will the hard drive then be formatted so i
lose all, movies, text, pictures and assorted files that is not placed in the
windows folder. Or is it only the win xp folder that gets deleted and
everything else remains on the harddrive?
Unfortunately i only have one hard drive, and win xp wont let me partition
it.

Question Warren Moore microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 3 01-13-2008 03:36
I have a question about this Barry A Robinson microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 3 01-06-2008 04:55
Neophyte malware Paul Security News 0 08-13-2007 17:40
vista genral question and ultimate question =?Utf-8?B?cGVkcm8gZw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 03-01-2007 12:06
Dual boot system question and family deal discount question =?Utf-8?B?QmV0YXRlc3Rlcnp6?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 03-01-2007 03:42