Windows Vista and Virtual PC

Walt

Windows Vista and Virtual PC
I recently purchased a Vista Home Premium upgrade package and I want to
upgrade by OEM version of XP (Media Center) shipped on my computer. I must
also maintain XP on a dualboot partition for legacy applications
compatibility issues. My plan is to do a clean install of Vista Premiun
updrade, then use Virtual PC to create a virtual XP OS partition using my OEM
XP disk.

My question is, will this: Does this create a license issue?
PvdG42

Re: Windows Vista and Virtual PC
"Walt" <Walt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsF4F4780-9545-4C19-9B33-04F4C65D5B07@microsoft.com...
>I recently purchased a Vista Home Premium upgrade package and I want to
> upgrade by OEM version of XP (Media Center) shipped on my computer. I
> must
> also maintain XP on a dualboot partition for legacy applications
> compatibility issues. My plan is to do a clean install of Vista Premiun
> updrade, then use Virtual PC to create a virtual XP OS partition using my
> OEM
> XP disk.
>
> My question is, will this: Does this create a license issue?

Yes, because you purchased an Upgrade version of Vista. The reason the
upgrade is less expensive than the full version is that you are trading in
your XP license for the Vista license, not acquiring a second independent
license. Once you use the Vista upgrade license, your XP license is void and
you cannot legally install/use XP as a separate product.
Getting an upgrade license is like trading in your old car as partial
payment on a new one. You wouldn't expect the dealer to allow you to
continue to use the car you traded after you take delivery of the new one,
correct?

Walt

"PvdG42" wrote:

> "Walt" <Walt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsF4F4780-9545-4C19-9B33-04F4C65D5B07@microsoft.com...
> >I recently purchased a Vista Home Premium upgrade package and I want to
> > upgrade by OEM version of XP (Media Center) shipped on my computer. I
> > must
> > also maintain XP on a dualboot partition for legacy applications
> > compatibility issues. My plan is to do a clean install of Vista Premiun
> > updrade, then use Virtual PC to create a virtual XP OS partition using my
> > OEM
> > XP disk.
> >
> > My question is, will this: Does this create a license issue?

> Yes, because you purchased an Upgrade version of Vista. The reason the
> upgrade is less expensive than the full version is that you are trading in
> your XP license for the Vista license, not acquiring a second independent
> license. Once you use the Vista upgrade license, your XP license is void and
> you cannot legally install/use XP as a separate product.
> Getting an upgrade license is like trading in your old car as partial
> payment on a new one. You wouldn't expect the dealer to allow you to
> continue to use the car you traded after you take delivery of the new one,
> correct?

Thanks. I thought so but wanted to be sure before I went out and purchased
an XP license unnecessarily.
AJR

Re: Windows Vista and Virtual PC
Walt - Do your thing and if necessary reactivate XP via phone - explain the
situtation and let them make the legitamcy decision.

BTW _ Keep in mind that USB ports will not be available via the Virtual PC
XP installation.

"Walt" <Walt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsF4F4780-9545-4C19-9B33-04F4C65D5B07@microsoft.com...
>I recently purchased a Vista Home Premium upgrade package and I want to
> upgrade by OEM version of XP (Media Center) shipped on my computer. I
> must
> also maintain XP on a dualboot partition for legacy applications
> compatibility issues. My plan is to do a clean install of Vista Premiun
> updrade, then use Virtual PC to create a virtual XP OS partition using my
> OEM
> XP disk.
>
> My question is, will this: Does this create a license issue?

Bruce Chambers

Walt wrote:
> I recently purchased a Vista Home Premium upgrade package and I want to
> upgrade by OEM version of XP (Media Center) shipped on my computer. I must
> also maintain XP on a dualboot partition for legacy applications
> compatibility issues. My plan is to do a clean install of Vista Premiun
> updrade, then use Virtual PC to create a virtual XP OS partition using my OEM
> XP disk.
>
> My question is, will this: Does this create a license issue?

Yes. By using an Upgrade license of Vista, you will not have a license
for WinXP MCE available to install within the VM. If you use an Upgrade
version of Vista, the license for the earlier, qualifying OS will be
subsumed (become an integral part of) by the Vista Upgrade license.
Basically, you have no license to use the Upgrade without there first
being an earlier, qualifying OS license _permanently_ in place on the
computer, and that qualifying license cannot subsequently be used
anywhere else.

Further, if your OEM WinXP MCE installation disk is of the BIOS-locked
variety, it most likely won't even install within the VM, because the
simulated hardware components will not be those for which the disk was
designed.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: