Re-installing Vista

Dirvine

Re-installing Vista
After a 'friend' installed McAfee on my laptop, it has caused Vista to crash
after about 30 seconds of starting up, you are able to do nothing.

I need to re-install Vista, but do not have a CD/DVD to do it. I have a
valid licence key.

Can sommeone please suggested a way to either get McAfee uninstalled or how
I can get a CD/DVD to reinstall Vista.

PLEASE HELP
PvdG42

Re: Re-installing Vista
"Dirvine" <Dirvine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After a 'friend' installed McAfee on my laptop, it has caused Vista to
> crash
> after about 30 seconds of starting up, you are able to do nothing.
>
> I need to re-install Vista, but do not have a CD/DVD to do it. I have a
> valid licence key.
>
> Can sommeone please suggested a way to either get McAfee uninstalled or
> how
> I can get a CD/DVD to reinstall Vista.
>
> PLEASE HELP

Did your system come with some kind of recovery CD/DVD? Is there a separate
recovery partition on the hard drive? Check the instructions that came with
your PC. There should be information on how to put your computer back into
"as delivered" condition.
Other possibilities:
Try to turn MacAfee off in the 30 seconds your computer runs before
crashing, then uninstall it. I understand that McAfee offers a utility as a
download that will "completely uninstall" all the McAfee gunk.
Try to start in safe mode and see if you can get rid of McAfee in safe mode.
If all else fails, seek technical assistance from the laptop manufacturer.
They know your PC best, and may have additional methods.

PvdG42

Re: Re-installing Vista
"Dirvine" <Dirvine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After a 'friend' installed McAfee on my laptop, it has caused Vista to
> crash
> after about 30 seconds of starting up, you are able to do nothing.
>
> I need to re-install Vista, but do not have a CD/DVD to do it. I have a
> valid licence key.
>
> Can sommeone please suggested a way to either get McAfee uninstalled or
> how
> I can get a CD/DVD to reinstall Vista.
>
> PLEASE HELP

One other possibility:
Vista should have created a restore point prior the McAfee goop install. See
if you can use that restore point to return to "pre-McAfee" condition.

Mick Murphy

RE: Re-installing Vista
Right at power on at startup,start tapping F8 to go into Safe Mode.
When a list of options shows up, use the UP and DOWN arrow Keys to get to
Safe mode; hit ENTER.

You then have 3 choices.
1. Uninstall McAfee, after disabling it, from Control
Panel>Programs>uninstall a program.
2. Start>Programs> McAfee> see if it has an uninstall option.
3. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore>Put it back in
time to before you installed Mcafee, and the program will be gone.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia