Vista Ultimate upgrade install error

=?Utf-8?B?bWFya203Nzg=?=

Vista Ultimate upgrade install error
I have a new laptop that came with Home Premium. Went to BB and bought retail
version of Ultimate upgrade. When I run upgrade from the disc, the entire
upgrade process happens and on the last reboot, I get a message that the
upgrade did no take place and the original version will be restarted. I have
done this twice. I have choose to update and and custom. Any ideas?
=?Utf-8?B?RnJ1c3RyYXRlZCBjb25zdW1lcg==?=

RE: Vista Ultimate upgrade install error
I am having a similar problem. The upgrade reaches 57% of the final process
and then gives me a message telling me the upgrade failed and the installer
will roll-back to the previous OS (XP Pro SP2).

"markm778" wrote:

> I have a new laptop that came with Home Premium. Went to BB and bought retail
> version of Ultimate upgrade. When I run upgrade from the disc, the entire
> upgrade process happens and on the last reboot, I get a message that the
> upgrade did no take place and the original version will be restarted. I have
> done this twice. I have choose to update and and custom. Any ideas?

DaveS

Re: Vista Ultimate upgrade install error
Me too - I am upgrading from Vista Premium to Ultimate. On last
reboot I get blue screen of death which disappears so fast I can't
read message. I've tried upgrading with both "Check for new files" and
not. No luck. Next try will be on a separate partition as a new
install. This is way more annoying than I expected, as I MUST have
Ultimate to get remote access enabled.

=?Utf-8?B?RnJ1c3RyYXRlZCBjb25zdW1lcg==?=

Re: Vista Ultimate upgrade install error
I have contacted Microsoft Support and at this point they believe the issue
is drivers. From what I was told drivers are loaded during this portion of
the process, and it is advisable to disconnect all external devices (i.e.
printers, scanners, hard drives. Not mouse/keyboard.) prior to attempting
the upgrade. I was also told I should install the Vista versions of things
like my video card and sound card, but the installers detect the OS and will
not install under XP.

When I have another 6 hour block of time (4 for the upgrade and 2 for the
roll-back to XP) I will give the upgrade another try without my external
hardware connected.