Connecting my new Dell Vista Laptop to my wireless router

dgavp

Connecting my new Dell Vista Laptop to my wireless router
I have a Belkin wireless-N router. I have 3 computers hardwired, and 3
computers that are wireless with a passphase. My new Vista computer is
finding my network, but when I ask to connect I receive an "Enter Credetials"
window asking for a User name, Password, and Logon Domain. Huh! Never saw
this with XP. What do I need to enter, or what do I need to do to bypass
this window? Thanks!
Mick Murphy

RE: Connecting my new Dell Vista Laptop to my wireless router

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"dgavp" wrote:

> I have a Belkin wireless-N router. I have 3 computers hardwired, and 3
> computers that are wireless with a passphase. My new Vista computer is
> finding my network, but when I ask to connect I receive an "Enter Credetials"
> window asking for a User name, Password, and Logon Domain. Huh! Never saw
> this with XP. What do I need to enter, or what do I need to do to bypass
> this window? Thanks!

Mick Murphy

RE: Connecting my new Dell Vista Laptop to my wireless router
Sorry dgavp; wrong thread!!!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"dgavp" wrote:

> I have a Belkin wireless-N router. I have 3 computers hardwired, and 3
> computers that are wireless with a passphase. My new Vista computer is
> finding my network, but when I ask to connect I receive an "Enter Credetials"
> window asking for a User name, Password, and Logon Domain. Huh! Never saw
> this with XP. What do I need to enter, or what do I need to do to bypass
> this window? Thanks!

Rick Rogers

Re: Connecting my new Dell Vista Laptop to my wireless router
Hi,

It sounds like you are trying to connect as a domain user. Check the system
applet in the control panel to ensure that the system is part of a workgroup
and not a domain. Your router may prompt for a wireless key if you are using
that security implementation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"dgavp" <dgavp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Belkin wireless-N router. I have 3 computers hardwired, and 3
> computers that are wireless with a passphase. My new Vista computer is
> finding my network, but when I ask to connect I receive an "Enter
> Credetials"
> window asking for a User name, Password, and Logon Domain. Huh! Never
> saw
> this with XP. What do I need to enter, or what do I need to do to bypass
> this window? Thanks!

dgavp

Re: Connecting my new Dell Vista Laptop to my wireless router
Rick, Thank you for the advice. It sounded like a viable fix, but even after
I set the computer to be part of a workgroup, and labeled this laptop with
the correct workgroup name, it still popped up the same window requesting
name, password, and domain name.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It sounds like you are trying to connect as a domain user. Check the system
> applet in the control panel to ensure that the system is part of a workgroup
> and not a domain. Your router may prompt for a wireless key if you are using
> that security implementation.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "dgavp" <dgavp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Belkin wireless-N router. I have 3 computers hardwired, and 3
> > computers that are wireless with a passphase. My new Vista computer is
> > finding my network, but when I ask to connect I receive an "Enter
> > Credetials"
> > window asking for a User name, Password, and Logon Domain. Huh! Never
> > saw
> > this with XP. What do I need to enter, or what do I need to do to bypass
> > this window? Thanks!

Topgun791982

Re: Connecting my new Dell Vista Laptop to my wireless router
Please try this step to resolve this issue. Go to Network and sharing center
and Click on manage wireless networks. Click on add and manually create a
network profile with the Network name and the WEP or WPA key if it is
secured. Then click on connect to and it will connect. If not restart your
computer to resolve. This is due to the router not being compatible with
Vista and not giving access to your computer. Hope this helps.
Note: The Network name is case sensitive and contact your router
manufacturer to get the network key if you dont know it.

"dgavp" wrote:

> Rick, Thank you for the advice. It sounded like a viable fix, but even after
> I set the computer to be part of a workgroup, and labeled this laptop with
> the correct workgroup name, it still popped up the same window requesting
> name, password, and domain name.
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It sounds like you are trying to connect as a domain user. Check the system
> > applet in the control panel to ensure that the system is part of a workgroup
> > and not a domain. Your router may prompt for a wireless key if you are using
> > that security implementation.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "dgavp" <dgavp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a Belkin wireless-N router. I have 3 computers hardwired, and 3
> > > computers that are wireless with a passphase. My new Vista computer is
> > > finding my network, but when I ask to connect I receive an "Enter
> > > Credetials"
> > > window asking for a User name, Password, and Logon Domain. Huh! Never
> > > saw
> > > this with XP. What do I need to enter, or what do I need to do to bypass
> > > this window? Thanks!

dgavp

Re: Connecting my new Dell Vista Laptop to my wireless router
Topgun, thank you for your recommendation. I did successfully complete this
update, but I am still getting the same Credentials window. After speaking
directly with Dell, and discovering that I could access other networks in my
neighborhood, it was pretty much determined that the problem is likely within
the settings on my Belkin router. I called Belkin Tech support, and after
waiting 20 minutes for my call to be answered, I was greeted by an individual
whose accent was difficult to decipher (he identified that he was located in
India). As we spoke, it appeared as though he was stepping through an
analysis program, and after 5 minutes of struggling to understand him, I gave
up. Guess I will call my guy from "Geeks on Call".

"Topgun791982" wrote:

> Please try this step to resolve this issue. Go to Network and sharing center
> and Click on manage wireless networks. Click on add and manually create a
> network profile with the Network name and the WEP or WPA key if it is
> secured. Then click on connect to and it will connect. If not restart your
> computer to resolve. This is due to the router not being compatible with
> Vista and not giving access to your computer. Hope this helps.
> Note: The Network name is case sensitive and contact your router
> manufacturer to get the network key if you dont know it.
>
> "dgavp" wrote:
>
> > Rick, Thank you for the advice. It sounded like a viable fix, but even after
> > I set the computer to be part of a workgroup, and labeled this laptop with
> > the correct workgroup name, it still popped up the same window requesting
> > name, password, and domain name.
> >

> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > It sounds like you are trying to connect as a domain user. Check the system
> > > applet in the control panel to ensure that the system is part of a workgroup
> > > and not a domain. Your router may prompt for a wireless key if you are using
> > > that security implementation.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best of Luck,
> > >
> > > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Alain

Re: Connecting my new Dell Vista Laptop to my wireless router
hi

if you use the same credital (username and password used in logon process)
on each computer normally they don't ask credital for shares.

But normally it's better to define each username on each machine and to add
them in the local goup admin (or user) of each computer.

--
MCSE + MCSA Messaging

"dgavp" wrote:

> Topgun, thank you for your recommendation. I did successfully complete this
> update, but I am still getting the same Credentials window. After speaking
> directly with Dell, and discovering that I could access other networks in my
> neighborhood, it was pretty much determined that the problem is likely within
> the settings on my Belkin router. I called Belkin Tech support, and after
> waiting 20 minutes for my call to be answered, I was greeted by an individual
> whose accent was difficult to decipher (he identified that he was located in
> India). As we spoke, it appeared as though he was stepping through an
> analysis program, and after 5 minutes of struggling to understand him, I gave
> up. Guess I will call my guy from "Geeks on Call".
>

> "Topgun791982" wrote:
>
> > Please try this step to resolve this issue. Go to Network and sharing center
> > and Click on manage wireless networks. Click on add and manually create a
> > network profile with the Network name and the WEP or WPA key if it is
> > secured. Then click on connect to and it will connect. If not restart your
> > computer to resolve. This is due to the router not being compatible with
> > Vista and not giving access to your computer. Hope this helps.
> > Note: The Network name is case sensitive and contact your router
> > manufacturer to get the network key if you dont know it.
> >
> > "dgavp" wrote:
> >
> > > Rick, Thank you for the advice. It sounded like a viable fix, but even after
> > > I set the computer to be part of a workgroup, and labeled this laptop with
> > > the correct workgroup name, it still popped up the same window requesting
> > > name, password, and domain name.

ray

Re: Connecting my new Dell Vista Laptop to my wireless router
This worked for me, finally , thanks very much.

"Topgun791982" wrote:

> Please try this step to resolve this issue. Go to Network and sharing center
> and Click on manage wireless networks. Click on add and manually create a
> network profile with the Network name and the WEP or WPA key if it is
> secured. Then click on connect to and it will connect. If not restart your
> computer to resolve. This is due to the router not being compatible with
> Vista and not giving access to your computer. Hope this helps.
> Note: The Network name is case sensitive and contact your router
> manufacturer to get the network key if you dont know it.
>
> "dgavp" wrote:
>
> > Rick, Thank you for the advice. It sounded like a viable fix, but even after
> > I set the computer to be part of a workgroup, and labeled this laptop with
> > the correct workgroup name, it still popped up the same window requesting
> > name, password, and domain name.
> >

> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > It sounds like you are trying to connect as a domain user. Check the system
> > > applet in the control panel to ensure that the system is part of a workgroup
> > > and not a domain. Your router may prompt for a wireless key if you are using
> > > that security implementation.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best of Luck,
> > >
> > > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

cocoa

Re: Connecting my new Dell Vista Laptop to my wireless router

Though this is an old feed, it had an excellent Tip and the last one
worked wonderfully! Thanks!

cocoa's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/122966.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/930393.htm

http://forums.techarena.in