Custom Installation Disc

Matthew Schwarz

Custom Installation Disc
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a simple way to take your Vista Installation Disc
and use it to create a custom installation disc that also includes updated
drivers and updated hotfixes. The goal would be that during a clean install,
those updated drivers and Windows Updates are installed automatically.

For a specific example, I use a USB Wireless Adapter. If I could create a
custom windows disc that includes those drivers, then I my USB Wireless
Adapter would be recognized and I could therefore allow Windows to connect to
the Internet during Setup to see if there are any hotfixes and updates.

I've read a little about vLite but don't know if I trust it completely.

Thank you.
Jack

Re: Custom Installation Disc
My installation disk?
No way!
Jack

"Matthew Schwarz" <MatthewSchwarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E222CD2D-655D-4966-A54E-5BB118A0D9E5@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if there is a simple way to take your Vista Installation
> Disc
> and use it to create a custom installation disc that also includes updated
> drivers and updated hotfixes. The goal would be that during a clean
> install,
> those updated drivers and Windows Updates are installed automatically.
>
> For a specific example, I use a USB Wireless Adapter. If I could create a
> custom windows disc that includes those drivers, then I my USB Wireless
> Adapter would be recognized and I could therefore allow Windows to connect
> the Internet during Setup to see if there are any hotfixes and updates.
>
> I've read a little about vLite but don't know if I trust it completely.
>
> Thank you.

Matthew Schwarz

Re: Custom Installation Disc
Just pop your disc in the mail and shoot it my way....
Okay okay. You got me. My disc.

"Jack" wrote:

> My installation disk?
> No way!
> Jack
>
> "Matthew Schwarz" <MatthewSchwarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:E222CD2D-655D-4966-A54E-5BB118A0D9E5@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm wondering if there is a simple way to take your Vista Installation
> > Disc
> > and use it to create a custom installation disc that also includes updated
> > drivers and updated hotfixes. The goal would be that during a clean
> > install,
> > those updated drivers and Windows Updates are installed automatically.
> >
> > For a specific example, I use a USB Wireless Adapter. If I could create a
> > custom windows disc that includes those drivers, then I my USB Wireless
> > Adapter would be recognized and I could therefore allow Windows to connect
> > the Internet during Setup to see if there are any hotfixes and updates.
> >
> > I've read a little about vLite but don't know if I trust it completely.
> >
> > Thank you.

Jack

Re: Custom Installation Disc
I don't think it can be done.
Look at this from the different point.
If it was possible, then all OEM manufacturers would create custom
installation disks.
But they don't.
Jack

"Matthew Schwarz" <MatthewSchwarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E222CD2D-655D-4966-A54E-5BB118A0D9E5@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if there is a simple way to take your Vista Installation
> Disc
> and use it to create a custom installation disc that also includes updated
> drivers and updated hotfixes. The goal would be that during a clean
> install,
> those updated drivers and Windows Updates are installed automatically.
>
> For a specific example, I use a USB Wireless Adapter. If I could create a
> custom windows disc that includes those drivers, then I my USB Wireless
> Adapter would be recognized and I could therefore allow Windows to connect
> the Internet during Setup to see if there are any hotfixes and updates.
>
> I've read a little about vLite but don't know if I trust it completely.
>
> Thank you.

Dustin Harper

Re: Custom Installation Disc
Yes: http://www.vlite.com/ Similar to nLite for Windows XP.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Matthew Schwarz" <MatthewSchwarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E222CD2D-655D-4966-A54E-5BB118A0D9E5@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if there is a simple way to take your Vista Installation
> Disc
> and use it to create a custom installation disc that also includes updated
> drivers and updated hotfixes. The goal would be that during a clean
> install,
> those updated drivers and Windows Updates are installed automatically.
>
> For a specific example, I use a USB Wireless Adapter. If I could create a
> custom windows disc that includes those drivers, then I my USB Wireless
> Adapter would be recognized and I could therefore allow Windows to connect
> the Internet during Setup to see if there are any hotfixes and updates.
>
> I've read a little about vLite but don't know if I trust it completely.
>
> Thank you.

Dustin Harper

Re: Custom Installation Disc
And you can trust it. It works great.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Yes: http://www.vlite.com/ Similar to nLite for Windows XP.
>
> --
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>

> "Matthew Schwarz" <MatthewSchwarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:E222CD2D-655D-4966-A54E-5BB118A0D9E5@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering if there is a simple way to take your Vista Installation
>> Disc
>> and use it to create a custom installation disc that also includes
>> updated
>> drivers and updated hotfixes. The goal would be that during a clean
>> install,
>> those updated drivers and Windows Updates are installed automatically.
>>
>> For a specific example, I use a USB Wireless Adapter. If I could create a
>> custom windows disc that includes those drivers, then I my USB Wireless
>> Adapter would be recognized and I could therefore allow Windows to
>> connect to
>> the Internet during Setup to see if there are any hotfixes and updates.
>>
>> I've read a little about vLite but don't know if I trust it completely.
>>
>> Thank you.

Matthew Schwarz

Re: Custom Installation Disc
Thank you all for your replies.

About vLite -- does it connect to a Windows Update database or something and
therefore keep up-to-date with all the current updates? Or do you have to be
aware of what is out there, and then go out and find the updates and download
them yourself? In other words, does vLite tell me exactly what hotfixes I'm
missing on the disc?