Error with diskpart on vista

ivantv@gmail.com

Error with diskpart on vista
I want to create a new drive by shrinking my existing drive. I tried
using diskpart for this but its giving the following error

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.0.6000
Copyright (C) 1999-2007 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: IVAN-PC

An error was encountered while acquiring information for volume:
\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3.
DiskPart may not be able to list all information for this object.

DiskPart has encountered an error: The system cannot find the file
specified.
See the System Event Log for more information.

DISKPART> list volume

An error was encountered while acquiring information for volume:
\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3.
DiskPart may not be able to list all information for this object.

DiskPart has encountered an error: The system cannot find the file
specified.
See the System Event Log for more information.

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status
Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- ---------
--------
Volume 0 D RECOVERY NTFS Partition 10 GB Healthy
Volume 1 Partition 136 GB Healthy
System
Volume 2 E Ubuntu 7.10 CDFS DVD-ROM 696 MB Healthy

DISKPART>

This is the error from the event log. ...A failure was encountered
while retrieving the volume properties. Error code:
0x80070002@020A0023

Please not the volume 1 is my C drive but some how its not showing up
correctly. I am not able to shrink the volume 1. Can some please help
in debugging this.

I tried using Computer Management but it also gives some error.

Regards
Ivan
Jack

Re: Error with diskpart on vista
Are you running diskpart from the network????
Jack

<ivantv@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to create a new drive by shrinking my existing drive. I tried
> using diskpart for this but its giving the following error
>

> Microsoft DiskPart version 6.0.6000
> Copyright (C) 1999-2007 Microsoft Corporation.
> On computer: IVAN-PC
>
> An error was encountered while acquiring information for volume:
> \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3.
> DiskPart may not be able to list all information for this object.
>
> DiskPart has encountered an error: The system cannot find the file
> specified.
> See the System Event Log for more information.
>
> DISKPART> list volume
>
> An error was encountered while acquiring information for volume:
> \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3.
> DiskPart may not be able to list all information for this object.
>
> DiskPart has encountered an error: The system cannot find the file
> specified.
> See the System Event Log for more information.
>

> Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status
> Info
> ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- ---------
> --------
> Volume 0 D RECOVERY NTFS Partition 10 GB Healthy
> Volume 1 Partition 136 GB Healthy
> System
> Volume 2 E Ubuntu 7.10 CDFS DVD-ROM 696 MB Healthy
>
> DISKPART>
>
> This is the error from the event log. ...A failure was encountered
> while retrieving the volume properties. Error code:
> 0x80070002@020A0023
>
> Please not the volume 1 is my C drive but some how its not showing up
> correctly. I am not able to shrink the volume 1. Can some please help
> in debugging this.
>
> I tried using Computer Management but it also gives some error.
>
> Regards
> Ivan

ivantv@gmail.com

Re: Error with diskpart on vista
No on same computer with admin previliges.