Vista asks permission to run installed programs

Paddy

Vista asks permission to run installed programs
Mostly, when I install programs in Vista, there's no problem starting them.

In a couple of cases, though, whenever I run the program (whether from the
Start menu or by double-clicking a data file), Vista posts a message:

"An unidentified program wants to access your computer."

It gives the options "Cancel" and "Allow". Well, obviously I want to allow
the program; I've just started it! And the programs were installed through a
normal installation process.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling those specific programs, but I get
the same results.

How can I tell Vista to stop asking me and just allow it?
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista asks permission to run installed programs
Hi Paddy,

The problem lies in how the program wants to run. Applications in Vista
should run from a virtual directory within the user's appdata folder where
you have full permissions. The user does not have permissions to run them
from the Program Files directory and write data files there, but this is
what your applications are trying to do. The application needs to be updated
by the vendor to a compliant version.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rick Rogers" wrote:
> ... Applications in Vista
> should run from a virtual directory within the user's appdata folder...

Thanks for the explanation, Rick.

So, if I uninstall the program, and then reinstall into a directory within
appdata instead of within C:\Program Files, that should work?
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista asks permission to run installed programs
Hi,

Probably, i haven't tried that approach to fixing it. Programatically, it
needs to be changed by the vendor.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:
> Probably, i haven't tried that approach to fixing it. Programatically, it
> needs to be changed by the vendor.

Thanks for the help, Rick.